Dan Ryan Branch Slow Zone at 35th?

joerailfan2015

Since the Red line south branch reopened, I've noticed that there is still a slow zone on the Northbound track just south of the Sox-35th station. The train slows down to about 25 mph. That slow zone has been there, though, since before the branch was closed for reconstruction. I looked on the CTA slow zone map, and before the branch closed, it was a slow zone that was 25 mph. Now it's not showing up as a slow zone. What could it be?

Since the Red line south branch reopened, I've noticed that there is still a slow zone on the Northbound track just south of the Sox-35th station. The train slows down to about 25 mph. That slow zone has been there, though, since before the branch was closed for reconstruction. I looked on the CTA slow zone map, and before the branch closed, it was a slow zone that was 25 mph. Now it's not showing up as a slow zone. What could it be?

Just a wild guess, but with the upcoming baseball season, my guess is that the slow zone is there to make sure trains enter that station slowly, especially after baseball games when that platform gets extremely crowded. Most of that crowd will be headed northbound. I would say something similar would be in place at Addison, except that the Addison area seems to be in a perpetual slow zone.

• Upvote 1