7000-series ATO System

briman94

I was just re-reading part of the RFP for the 7000-series cars, and I saw mention of an ATO subsystem in the ATC section. It is not ATO in the same sense as Washington DC's, which would be more along the lines of CBTC. Instead, it sounds like more of a 'cruise control' system but I can't quite tell if that's what it is.

It says the ATO subsystem will override the propulsion control with a "coast" command if the train speed goes a configurable amount above the command speed (the ATC "allowable speed" on the speedometer), and re-energize the propulsion system after it reaches a certain amount below the command speed. This doesn't sound like anything the previous cars would have. So I guess it allows drivers to hold the throttle at "Max Power" or whatever but the train will maintain the allowable speed as per the ATC system?

I was just re-reading part of the RFP for the 7000-series cars, and I saw mention of an ATO subsystem in the ATC section. It is not ATO in the same sense as Washington DC's, which would be more along the lines of CBTC. Instead, it sounds like more of a 'cruise control' system but I can't quite tell if that's what it is.

It says the ATO subsystem will override the propulsion control with a "coast" command if the train speed goes a configurable amount above the command speed (the ATC "allowable speed" on the speedometer), and re-energize the propulsion system after it reaches a certain amount below the command speed. This doesn't sound like anything the previous cars would have. So I guess it allows drivers to hold the throttle at "Max Power" or whatever but the train will maintain the allowable speed as per the ATC system?

The 5000's have that feature.  If the allowable speed is 25 mph and the speed increases to 35 mph and the controller handle is in power, the train will accelerate to the 35 mph and hold at 35 mph until the next change in allowable speed.

The 5000's have that feature.  If the allowable speed is 25 mph and the speed increases to 35 mph and the controller handle is in power, the train will accelerate to the 35 mph and hold at 35 mph until the next change in allowable speed.

Interesting; I've never noticed it before but today on the Purple Line I paid extra attention. We were accelerating approaching Sedgwick towards the Loop, but as soon as the ATC beeped when the speed dropped we coasted, and then braked when the driver acknowledged it. Sure enough!

Now I have to figure out how to implement that in my Train Simulator project :P