No Replacements

sw4400

I was on a #80 Irving Park going Westbound to Cumberland yesterday. When we get to Central, the driver sets the parking brake and exits because his shift is over for now and he has to wait for his relief. Minutes go by and the relief still doesn't show up. A Eastbound Irving Park comes along and comes to a halt because that driver also is waiting for a relief. Another Westbound comes along going to Harlem but also has to wait because of no relief. Finally the reliefs arrive on a #85 Central Bus. The reason they're late is because the Central Buses are all behind schedule and the Garage doesn't allow the drivers to drive themselves to their relief point. They must use the bus to get there. I was almost late for an appt. because of this!

Once that happened to me on the 147 at Sheridan and Foster. It was cold, rainy, and late at night when I was riding downtown. The operator got off without saying anything, leaving the front door open, making for a very chilly wait. Then about 7 minutes later a supervisor came onboard.

Being on a Nabi Artic, at first I didn't rule out some sort of mechanical problem as the reason for our stopping ;) Another bus arrived shortly though.

For longer waits it might be nice if bus operators would notify the passengers, in my opinion.