More "X" Limited Stop Buses (and where should they be)

Chi-town Kid

Over the last ten years or so, the CTA has gradually been putting "X" limited stop buses on many of Chicago's busiest streets. So far we have the X3, X4, X80,X20, X9, X54, X53A, and the X55 (the X28 is more of a normal express bus and not limited stop on Stony Island so I'm not counting it.)

The question is, where if anywhere should there be more "X" buses? I've always thought the X66 would be a good idea, but possible routes I can see (I'm not necessarily advocating them) include the X72, X74, X77, X52 (on Kedzie/Kimball), X63, X47, X12, X52A, and the X53. Obviously, I don't think all of those would work if any. There might even be some I haven't suggested. Maybe an X79 to help people get to the Red Line faster? Just a thought.

Comments?

79--the highest passenger load in the system, and subject to bus bunching; thus, an express bus would improve things. A question may exist whether 79th Street is too narrow or congested to allow buses to pass on the portion east of Western (especially between Halsted and Stony Island).

Your north side crosstown ones may make sense, depending on the passenger load and whether there is a number of through riders. For instance, the X80 was justified on the supposition that riders originating in Lakeview need a link to O'Hare via the Irving Park Blue Line station.

Others have questioned 47 on the basis that there are few through riders, based on the varying neighborhoods through which it traverses. Might be a similar consideration with regard to 63, also the L is there (although using it for crosstown service would require a transfer at Garfield, probably precluding any speed advantage).

If 12, 52, or 53 were in play, that would have showed in the West Side survey. 12 now has 127 to supplement it. Also, 52 again raises the debate in several other threads whether 52 and 82 should be on California, Kedzie, Kimball/Homan or Central Park, and North Kedzie apparently not being able to support bus service.