Coordinating City and Suburbs

Busjack

One of the things I mentioned in a letter to my state senator and representative is the need for the RTA to coordinate CTA, Pace, and Metra service, especially in places such as Evanston, where CTA threatened, in the subsequent doomsday scenario, to cancel local bus service. Apparently Chicago is not alone in this concern. (Trying unsucessfully to find SMART bus pictures,) I came across an editorial in the Detroit News raising similar issues with regard to the city owned DDOT and suburban SMART services. This was partially addressed by giving the Detroit Area RTA some limited coordination authority.

While the problem is worse in the Chicago metro area, the political issues are probably more intense, as the debate over CTA funding made it clear that suburbanites (and many city residents) do not trust the CTA Board. Something was accomplished with paratransit, but this was because CTA did not want the responsibility, and Pace did.