Upcoming Chicagoland Trip

TECsBrain

I'm sure I don't need to mention how great a site y'all have here. I'm working on a similar site for the DC area's transit network.

I am a transit enthusiast and employee of a local transit system in the Washington, D.C. area, and am planning to visit Chicago from October 8-11.

To assist in planning a trip to a completely unseen frontier for me, I have a few questions:

-Will anyone be running reduced service on Columbus Day (Monday)?

-What buses do you prefer?

-Where can I find a specific type of bus (say, a 60-LFW)?

I'm sure I have a trillion more, but I can't think of them all right now.

AIM: TECsBrain

Will anyone be running reduced service on Columbus Day (Monday)?

-What buses do you prefer?

-Where can I find a specific type of bus (say, a 60-LFW)?

Columbus Day should have all services running on a regular schedule. If you are downtown, especially in rush hour, you should be able to see just about any type of bus the CTA operates. Along Michigan Ave, State St, La Salle St or near the train stations (Union and Ogilvie stations on the west end of the loop over the Chicago River) would be the best areas to scope for your favorite type of bus !!!!

For the L, look at chicago-l.org, especially Lines and Routes. There is construction on the south side of the Red Line, which might result in some delays. Sone neighborhoods may be "more welcoming to visitors" than others. Other pages of chicago-l.org point out some areas of historical interest.

As far as bus is concerned, there are express (mostly articulated) and local routes, but other than that, the level of service is fairly consistent. You might want to look at tourist information at http://877chicago.com.

Rail also includes Metra. With the last group of acquisitions, the diesel trains pretty much look alike, but the Electric and South Shore trains at Michigan and Randolph are interesting.