Senior's Free Passes

ibebobo

I was talking to a friend of mine who has a free pass for seniors. What would stop someone from getting one and just letting someone else use it? He says the drivers never look at anything. He just walks on and passes it by the sensor.

Good point, unless the driver notices the farebox LED display. I have a Chicago Card, and when you use it, the farebox displays the amount still left on your card. On former Reduced Senior passes (magnetic strip card) or the new Free Senior Passes (which is just tap-and-go) they just simply display "Thank You" on the farebox, so it may not matter whether the driver asks what card you may be using.

Good point, unless the driver notices the farebox LED display. I have a Chicago Card, and when you use it, the farebox displays the amount still left on your card. On former Reduced Senior passes (magnetic strip card) or the new Free Senior Passes (which is just tap-and-go) they just simply display "Thank You" on the farebox, so it may not matter whether the driver asks what card you may be using.

What the operator sees on the transit card LED is completely different from what the passenger sees. The passenger may see "THANK YOU" but the operator will see exactly what kind of card was used.

What the operator sees on the transit card LED is completely different from what the passenger sees. The passenger may see "THANK YOU" but the operator will see exactly what kind of card was used.

Well, realistically how often does the driver really look at the info? And if they do actually catch someone using a senior card what would (or could) they do about it besides kick them off the bus?