Washington goes *poof!*?

dauber

Hi, all...first-time poster...

Anyhoo...I noticed that right around Christmas, the Washington station just disappeared COMPLETELY off the Red Line maps. Does this mean it's not reopening?? Not that I'd have a problem with it -- it's a useless stop with Lake being just a few feet away, and there's still the Blue Line transfer tunnel a couple of stops south...

Yeah, I saw that thread, but...all it is is speculation...no mention of the disappearance of the station on the map (for the longest time it's been marked as "under construction"; now it's just plain not there) or anything like that, which is why I posted here...

CTA's publications department was told to remove Washington from the most recent maps. There has been no detailed public announcement regarding the future of that station.

During a presentation to the Central Electric Railfans' Association (CERA) in 2005, now former VP of planning Mike Shiffer discussed plans which did not include the re-opening of Washington in its then-current state. Instead, the plan at the time was to combine Monroe and Washington into a single stop following the completion of Block 37 construction. Monroe would essentially be moved a bit further north and renamed Madison. I don't remember CTA ever publicly announcing this plan, but it appears the original intention was never to re-open Washington as we knew it.

Hi, all...first-time poster...

Anyhoo...I noticed that right around Christmas, the Washington station just disappeared COMPLETELY off the Red Line maps. Does this mean it's not reopening?? Not that I'd have a problem with it -- it's a useless stop with Lake being just a few feet away, and there's still the Blue Line transfer tunnel a couple of stops south...

Welcome Aboard Dauber! It will be great trading stories with you.:)

• 4 weeks later...