CNS&M engravings at Howard ?

Amtrak41

I read in F&F that an unused entrance has been open to the public and it may be viewable. If so, where in the depot is it ? Taking a tourist trip to Chicago and beyond in a week.

You want to see some really good sights concerning the CNSM? Take a trip up the North Shore to Wesleigh Rd. in Lake Forest. There the viaduct overpass still has the CNSM engraving on it. There are still traces of the CNSM. Another interesting location is up in Lake Bluff along Hwy 176. That is where the NS Mundelein Branch ran straight west. You can make out some interesting points such as South Upton Junc. and Rondout. The N. Chicago Junc. area is all gone. there is a highway in its place. Absolutely no traces of No. Chic. Junc exist. The old NS Mund. branch is now mostly a bike path. The old electric wooden line poles still span Hwy 176 today. You can still view where the trains ran. You want a little taste of CNSM then ride the CTA Skokie Swift line. This is the only active section of the CNSM track aside from regular CTA mainlines that is still in operation today. You will also see the original NS catenary lines which are no longer used by CTA trains but are still in place. Some trackage is still in place today but you have to look very hard but it is there. Hope you have an interesting trip.

I read in F&F that an unused entrance has been open to the public and it may be viewable. If so, where in the depot is it ? Taking a tourist trip to Chicago and beyond in a week.
The more specific answer (based on the title of the thread) is that the old North Shore station on the north side of Howard Street was supposedly restored as a historic site. Chicago-L.org briefly mentions that under a picture on the lower right side of the Howard Station page, but the text of that page doesn't really reflect whether that part of the station is complete. I haven't been to Howard Street itself in a while, just the bus terminal or via the Yellow Line.

Here's a link, but since it was previously said that Chicago-L.org doesn't like referrals from embedded links, on its home page, click Stations, then on the next page, under Red Line, pull down Howard Branch and select Howard.

CTA5750 is correct about other sites, the best ones being Westleigh Road and the old Dempster station, which was moved to the east and now is a half-Starbucks, but otherwise pretty authentic.

Thanks.

I'll just have to poke around Howard and see. I asked a CTA employee last year. They didn't know what I was talking about nor what the North Shore Line was. Sad. This time I'll take pictures of the beautiful Howard facility. I was afraid to last year with CTA people swarming all over the place. But now I have a copy of the official CTA photo policy.

2 years ago, I rented a car in Glenview, did the IRM, and saw the Mundelein Branch remnants. Also been to Skokie several times over the years. Wamu closed (before they were seized). I just hope that Starbucks doesn't go too. It's one of the few decent looking structures Skokie has. Nice little thrift shop across the street. The strip mall next to the station is mostly vacated, and quite a dump. Typical 1960's sprawl.

I notice the Yellow Line runs 15 and 30 minutes later on Saturday and Sundays nites than on weeknites. Wonder why that is. Conforms with shifts ?

I'll be going out and back to the PNW on the Empire Builder, stay at Days Inn at Lincoln Park. Sometimes, I get off at Glenview, but that is quite a PACE shlep to either Linden or Berwyn, and I won't be in the mood after coming from Seattle on #8. Too bad a bus from Glenview doesn't run by the Skokie Swift station. Sure could use the North Shore Line now. I could have taken it from pretty near Glenview straight to Belmont.

Thanks.

I'll just have to poke around Howard and see. I asked a CTA employee last year. They didn't know what I was talking about nor what the North Shore Line was. Sad.

Basically that was a dirty old, and probably boarded up commercial strip under the L viaduct, across the street from the old Howard station, until the decision was made to restore it.

2 years ago, I rented a car in Glenview, did the IRM, and saw the Mundelein Branch remnants. Also been to Skokie several times over the years. Wamu closed (before they were seized). I just hope that Starbucks doesn't go too. It's one of the few decent looking structures Skokie has. Nice little thrift shop across the street. The strip mall next to the station is mostly vacated, and quite a dump. Typical 1960's sprawl.

I notice the Yellow Line runs 15 and 30 minutes later on Saturday and Sundays nites than on weeknites. Wonder why that is. Conforms with shifts ?

That strip mall was occupied about 4 years ago, but went downhill real quick. You're right, there is nothing there anymore. The (mostly Kosher) stores in the strip mall on the north side of Dempster are still there.

Probably the hours of the weekend Yellow Line are based more on what the CMAQ grant was, although supposedly that service has been made permanent and weaned from the grant. The philosophy always was that if the Yellow Line isn't running, take the 97 bus (when it is running).

I'll be going out and back to the PNW on the Empire Builder, stay at Days Inn at Lincoln Park. Sometimes, I get off at Glenview, but that is quite a PACE shlep to either Linden or Berwyn, and I won't be in the mood after coming from Seattle on #8. Too bad a bus from Glenview doesn't run by the Skokie Swift station. Sure could use the North Shore Line now. I could have taken it from pretty near Glenview straight to Belmont.

After the 2005 restructing, pretty tough. Pace assumed 423 south on Harlem to Dempster and then 250. 210, when it runs, could be taken to Dempster in Morton Grove, and then 250 across, otherwise it is 1-1/2 miles too south at Skoke Blvd./Cicero Ave at Lincoln and Howard. Also, living nearby, I thought most of the motels in Glenview were on Milwaukee Ave, which would put you nearer to 270 and 272.

Thanks.

I'll just have to poke around Howard and see. I asked a CTA employee last year. They didn't know what I was talking about nor what the North Shore Line was. Sad. This time I'll take pictures of the beautiful Howard facility. I was afraid to last year with CTA people swarming all over the place. But now I have a copy of the official CTA photo policy.

Dempster is a very good spot. If you look to the north of this stop you can still see portions of NS line track still in place. This line was known as the "Skokie Valley Route" which was opened in 1926 and subsequently became the North Shore's primary mainline. Speed on the SVR was the major factor as opposed to taking the Shoreline Route which was a local service. Some of the old catenary is still in place north of Dempster. Until recently the unused crossing at Dempster was taken out and rails paved over. Further north at Old Orchard Rd. you can see more NSL trackage. But the more interesting sights will be at Wesleigh Rd. overpass in Lake Forest and the Lake Bluff areas particularly where Hwy 176 ends at Sheridan Rd. you can see where the NSL trolleys ran under the overpass. These areas have to be traversed by car since there is no bus service in the area. If you ride the Metra/UP North Line commuter train to Kenosha you will be following alongside some of the former North Shore line that ran adjacent to this line. The "Shoreline Route" as this section was known as, was abandoned in 1955. The line shared most stations of the then Chicago NorthWestern rail system. Today it is mostly a bike path. At the Winnetka stop on this line you can see with the overpasses where the NS line ran on the east side of the Metra line.

Thanks.

Most CTA employees will not give much, if any information on the CNSM railroad. If anything theyll look at you like a nutjob!:) This website, the CNSM historical websites, CNSM books/maps and IRM are your best resources.