2200's at Howard

Lostinthe80s

When I visited Chicago in mid-August, I also saw that. I think it is just a shop move. Nobody wants the 2200's misbehaving on more than 1 line at once, especially the Red Line. I always thought they should also be used as belly cars on Evanston Expresses as it would be low-mileage duty.

2200s have been running on the Englewood-Howard and Lake-Dan Ryan Lines at the beginning of their lifes. CTA sometimes send 2200 series trains to run on other lines outside of the Blue(O-Hare-Logan Square-Milkawee-Dearborn Subway-Congress) Line as either historic charters or just tempoary trains(if the 2200 runs on the Red Line, it probaly won't run on the Red Line for more than a day). The answer that is the most likely, however, is there only in the Howard Yard for maintenance.

Hope this isn't the end for the 2200 series...yet....sad.gif

2200s have been running on the Englewood-Howard and Lake-Dan Ryan Lines at the beginning of their lifes.

Actually, the 2200s have never been officially assigned to the North-South (Englewood-Howard or Jackson Park-Howard) Route. At the beginning of their lives, the 2200s were (officially) assigned to the West-South (Lake-Dan Ryan) and West-Northwest (Congress-Milwaukee, Douglas-Milwaukee) Routes (although the North-South Route did occasionally borrow a few of those 2200s when they were short on available 6000s, which entirely equipped that line at the time). At the time the 2200s were first delivered, the West-Northwest Route was equipped with mostly 6000s, with a few 2000s and double-ended 1-50s mixed in; upon the delivery and assignment of a sufficient number of 2200s to the West-Northwest Route to cover base service (this occurred around the time the Northwest Side extension to Jefferson Park opened in 1970), the 2000s were all reassigned to the West-South Route and the 1-50s were reassigned to the Ravenswood (now Brown Line). Eventually, all 2200s ended up on the West-Northwest Route by the mid-1980s (with the other two through-routed lines, the North-South and West-South Routes, getting 2000s and 2400s, respectively); at that point, the then-recently delivered 2600s were spread out across all lines except the Skokie Swift.

• Upvote 1

Actually, the 2200s have never been officially assigned to the North-South (Englewood-Howard or Jackson Park-Howard) Route. At the beginning of their lives, the 2200s were (officially) assigned to the West-South (Lake-Dan Ryan) and West-Northwest (Congress-Milwaukee, Douglas-Milwaukee) Routes (although the North-South Route did occasionally borrow a few of those 2200s when they were short on available 6000s, which entirely equipped that line at the time). At the time the 2200s were first delivered, the West-Northwest Route was equipped with mostly 6000s, with a few 2000s and double-ended 1-50s mixed in; upon the delivery and assignment of a sufficient number of 2200s to the West-Northwest Route to cover base service (this occurred around the time the Northwest Side extension to Jefferson Park opened in 1970), the 2000s were all reassigned to the West-South Route and the 1-50s were reassigned to the Ravenswood (now Brown Line). Eventually, all 2200s ended up on the West-Northwest Route by the mid-1980s (with the other two through-routed lines, the North-South and West-South Routes, getting 2000s and 2400s, respectively); at that point, the then-recently delivered 2600s were spread out across all lines except the Skokie Swift.

Oh. I thought the 2200s ran on the North-South lines, guess I was wrong.

Ya can't deny this however;

http://www.hopetunnel.org/subway/cta/050501/15_2223mdw.jpg

Oh. I thought the 2200s ran on the North-South lines, guess I was wrong.

Ya can't deny this however;

http://www.hopetunnel.org/subway/cta/050501/15_2223mdw.jpg

This was obviously a railfan charter. The signage is for Englewood-Howard, however

the pic was taken at the Midway terminal. RJL was right on with the history.

• 2 weeks later...

This was obviously a railfan charter. The signage is for Englewood-Howard, however

the pic was taken at the Midway terminal. RJL was right on with the history.

That pic of the 2200s at the Midway terminal was, indeed, taken during a fantrip charter on 1 May 2005. The cars had older destination sign roller curtains installed for the fantrip. Four cars were used in the fantrip: 2223-24, 2319-20.

Initially, with regards to 2200-series assignments, around 60 were assigned to the Lake-Dan Ryan with the rest assigned to the Congress-Douglas-Milwaukee lines. With the arrival of the 2400-series cars in 1976 and 1977, a few of the then-new 2400s were assigned to the West-Northwest Route and some additional 2200s were reassigned from the West-Northwest to the West-South Route. Around 1983 all of the Lake-Dan Ryan's 2200s were reassigned to the West-Northwest Route in exchange for all of that line's 2400s and some of that line's then-recently delivered 2600s.