Northwest Indiana Transit Photos

JamesT4

Here are some photos that I took around the public transit systems in Hammond East Chicago, Gary, and Michigan City, Indiana.

Hammond Transit:

Hammond Transit System Bus 204, an Opus Low-Floor Bus

3835227247_a1a576c2b8.jpg

HTS 313 I don't know what kind of buses these are, but it was brought from Nashville, TN, and has only one door in the middle, and was used as shuttle buses at the Nashville Airport.

3835225029_4fd8b95268.jpg

HTS bus 0301, an Chance Opus low floor Bus.

3621950680_8a3132e218.jpg

East Chicago Transit:(Free Bus System)

ECPT 2007B, an Gillig Low Floor bus

3776311795_52d02f13e0.jpg

An Gillig Low Floor bus. ECPT # 2007A

3756869450_b79eef5072.jpg

Gary Public Transit Cooperation

Gary Public Transit Bus 7002

3776310645_c591346509.jpg

Michigan City Transit:

3353300246_cc67208e64.jpg

You are lucky you got any of them. Hammond and Gary were threatening to shut down service. In Hammond's case, it appeared like it was more to get the nascent Regional Bus Authority to take them over, although money was also an issue. They are having a referendum on whether an RTA should be organized for all 4 counties (from Hammond through South Bend), with an income tax, but given even more strong anti-tax views across the state line, I would bet it gets voted down. Use this search on nwi.com (the Times, although to me, it is still the Hammond Times 45 years later) on the Regional Bus issue. There is also the question whether the Regional Bus Authority would repaint the buses with its EasyGo logo, if it is taking over.

As to the model of the converted airport bus, there isn't any nameplate on the front, but I would bet it was this type of Champion. It probably is a spare. I tried blowing it up, and the legend on the side seems to be "Operated by First Transit" instead of "Owned By the Northwest Indiana Regional Planning Commission," which is on the Opuses (is that grammatically correct, or Opera, or should we just say Chance 0200s and Optima 0300s).

It seems like Hammond is always short a bus, in that I saw a Thomas down there long after the Coach USA contractor lost the contract.