South Shore Cutbacks

Busjack

Chicago Breaking News had this item about the NICTD considering eliminating one train each way, with the statement "That would basically do away with capacity added in a May schedule expansion that added two trains." In that it appears that the two trains were made possible by receiving the 14 Highliners, one wonders (as I did yesterday about the Pace OTRs) if all the sudden an equipment purchase was a bit hasty, although I presume that things will rebound some time during the cars' 30 year FTA life.

Also, this seems to reinforce that, with regard to ridership, [as my father would say] "things are rough all over, especially on sandpaper."*

*Slogan not adopted by the Carborundum Corp.

This is really all about supply and demand and it's the case for public transit in general. If the demand isn't there, they why have the supply? The economy is so bad that nothing is safe, it's just not what it used to be when everybody was working and unemployment was low. Chicago ranks amongst the bottom as far as great places to work and it's because all the great jobs and companies that were here before have folded or moved. Thus people don't use public transit anymore because they have no job to go to. The end result of that is a lot more open parking spaces at lots such as south shore. I really feel that until the economy comes back, which won't be for another 3-5 years in my opinion, transit will continue to be in trouble. I wouldn't be surprised that South Shore does more cut backs later on this year, that's been the 1 agency that has been very quiet amongst all the agencies in this area.