Unusual CTA train last night....

dauber

So...there was a "Not In Service" train heading southbound on the Purple Line tracks at little bit after 10:00 last night. It was typical Red Line equipment -- no new cars, no stripes, etc. -- nothing unusual....except one of the cars was a flatbed that had a lot of what looked like...I dunno...brand-new oil drums or something with CTA written on them...maybe some really small construction equipment too...any thoughts??

So...there was a "Not In Service" train heading southbound on the Purple Line tracks at little bit after 10:00 last night. It was typical Red Line equipment -- no new cars, no stripes, etc. -- nothing unusual....except one of the cars was a flatbed that had a lot of what looked like...I dunno...brand-new oil drums or something with CTA written on them...maybe some really small construction equipment too...any thoughts??

You saw a work train loltongue.gif Nothing that special,Typically they use 2400's from the purple/green line.Once I rode one that had the barrels INSIDE the first car blink.gif the front of the car (Where the cab is) was taped off "Do not enter" that was a first for me lol,I remember passengers couldn't stop staring at them. laugh.gif

• Upvote 1

Once I rode one that had the barrels INSIDE the first car the front of the car (Where the cab is) was taped off "Do not enter" that was a first for me lol,I remember passengers couldn't stop staring at them.

I'll assume that this was during the winter on a snowy day/evening. That would be a sleet-fighting train. Not necessarily the same barrels that would be found on a work train.

I'll assume that this was during the winter on a snowy day/evening. That would be a sleet-fighting train. Not necessarily the same barrels that would be found on a work train.

I remember as a kid in the 70s, seeing those work trains at Armitage, being pulled by two pairs of 6000s.

No there wasn't any snow that day or in the immediate forecast,My memory is kinda fuzzy but I'm going to say this was around spring/summer of 2009 ?? I have never seen anything like that riding on the "System" lol.I guess I should have taken a pic,But I wasn't to concerned about it since I can assume they wouldn't have anything hazardous inside a train with passengers ? blink.gif But then again with the CTA and budget cuts and lack of brai..manpower ? biggrin.gif

No there wasn't any snow that day or in the immediate forecast,My memory is kinda fuzzy but I'm going to say this was around spring/summer of 2009 ?? I have never seen anything like that riding on the "System" lol.I guess I should have taken a pic,But I wasn't to concerned about it since I can assume they wouldn't have anything hazardous inside a train with passengers ? blink.gif But then again with the CTA and budget cuts and lack of brai..manpower ? biggrin.gif

Careful. You're getting a little to close to saying they'd purposely endanger the public by cutting corners and that's not a joking matter.

I regularly see work trains go by my house on the Blue line late on Sunday nights. They're usually two flatbeds with out of service 2 car combos at either end (2200 or 2400's I believe, but they may not be the same cars all the time).

What is on the flatbeds changes most weekends. While the Blue Line was shut down on weekends I would regularly see one with a small crane on it, while the 2nd had ties and other railbed components. There's also one with a gigantic plastic tank full of what I assume to be a cleaning solution. Living next to the El has given me a much better appreciation for how much maintenance is done to the tracks. Almost every day I see crews walking the track checking the rails and every weekend (and most nights) there are work trains going by.