Budd Cab Cars on UP-North Line

Friday, while joyriding around on the bus during the day, I saw at the Waukegan Metra station, right behind an F40PH locomotive, an old Budd cab car.

To my memory's best recollection, I have only seen this once before. Otherwise, it has always been either the new Amerirail cars or, years ago, smoothside (P-S, I think) cab cars.

Anyone else seen this? I didn't think the Budd cars had the ATS shoe on them for working on ex-CNW lines. But then, it was not acting as a cab car, just a standard coach in the middle of the train.

Seems strange to me. Anyone know more?

Friday, while joyriding around on the bus during the day, I saw at the Waukegan Metra station, right behind an F40PH locomotive, an old Budd cab car.

To my memory's best recollection, I have only seen this once before. Otherwise, it has always been either the new Amerirail cars or, years ago, smoothside (P-S, I think) cab cars.

Anyone else seen this? I didn't think the Budd cars had the ATS shoe on them for working on ex-CNW lines. But then, it was not acting as a cab car, just a standard coach in the middle of the train.

Seems strange to me. Anyone know more?

When the 8500s were received on the Milw, some of its equipment went to the UP. A chunk of 8200s were also in the Western Yard for a while, presumably to have their cabs deactivated. The usual place for an 8200 on a Milw train is near the locomotive and there are usually two 8500 series cab cars in the consist.

Pretty much, the 8400s are the actual cab cars on the UP and the 8500s on the rest of the diesel lines.