Bus Questions

I have a lot of questions about buses.

1) When a bus is sitting with the retarter activated for at least 5 minutes, and once you press the gas pedal, why does the transmission gets stuck ?

2) When parking brake is applied and you don't shift it into nuetral, why does it get stuck even though you didn't shift gears ?

3) Why does Fast Idle makes a bus NOT go into gear ?

I have a lot of questions about buses.

1) When a bus is sitting with the retartder activated for at least 5 minutes, and once you press the gas pedal, why does the transmission gets stuck ? Presuming the retarder is the lift/ramp. It can be any number of things... see "Breakdown Thread" about #1422 for an interesting breakdown story involving a bus that just wouldn't move anymore. If the retarder is not the lift/ramp, than I haven't the slightest idea...

2) When the parking brake is applied and you don't shift it into nueeutral, why does it get stuck even though you didn't shift gears ? Again any number of things could be the cause... like my Father used to say about solving a mechanical issue with a vehicle... S.S.F(simple s##t first) Start with the most likely causes and go from there.

3) Why does Fast Idle makes a bus NOT go into gear ? :huh:

First, a bus cannot "sit" with the retarder activated. The retarder uses the engine/transmission to slow the bus down. Depending on the design and spec of the bus (often, customer options), the retarder will usually activate when the driver takes his/her foot off the accelerator pedal. The retarder disengages just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop (this is the air discharge sound that some of you go nuts over on the Allison transmission New Flyers, 1930-2029, just before the bus comes to a stop).

If a retarder is active for five minutes, something has seriously gone wrong, and the transmission getting stuck is probably the least of your worries.

How the bus handles shifting/parking brake application is a customer-specified option that is controlled through the vehicle's computer. In general, though, there are safety features in place to prevent a bus from rolling away. For example, if the parking brake is accidentally released, the bus won't move right away without the bus being in neutral and then placed into drive.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...