Pace purchasing

Busjack

After twy menioned the Pace contracting page, I took a look and found these two oddities:

• 2010 River Installation of 2 Spillways. I didn't think it meant what it said, but it actually is spillways from two retention ponds at the River Division. So, not so far off.
  • Advertising on Pace's On Bus Audio Announcement System. This was canceled, but put back on the In process board for rebid. If you folks thought that TransitTV was obnoxious, this concept seems totally off the wall. Who wants to hear Miss Pace say "Dempster," and immediately thereafter "Go the the Niles Polish Deli for Keilbasa, $2.95 a pound. Get off here." Then, a block later, hearing an ad for Bob Rohhhrrrman telling you that for only $199 a month, you don't have to ride this bus.

• Upvote 1

• Advertising on Pace's On Bus Audio Announcement System. This was canceled, but put back on the In process board for rebid. If you folks thought that TransitTV was obnoxious, this concept seems totally off the wall. Who wants to hear Miss Pace say "Dempster," and immediately thereafter "Go the the Niles Polish Deli for Keilbasa, $2.95 a pound. Get off here." Then, a block later, hearing an ad for Bob Rohhhrrrman telling you that for only $199 a month, you don't have to ride this bus.

This advertisement system should be interesting. Often the ADA announcement system does not work and drivers have to manually call major intersections using the PA. I just hope that they won't have to call the advertisements too!:P

If this goes into effect, no way will I ride bus 2429. For some reason, not only does its announcement system work, but it is ear-splitting loud, and for the past few years, no one has turned it down!

On the other hand, my computer shop in on Genesee Street in Waukegan, and I could have them run announcements for my shop. I had been joking for a long time about how much Pace would want for them to have an announcement for that. Considering that about half of North's drivers have come to me for computer repairs, and one of the part time drivers, who is in tech school, also works for me as an apprentice, it would seem appropriate.

The local marketing idea hit me in that (1) when cable companies were local, instead of all Comcast, there were local ads, and (2) it often seems when I drive by somewhere, there is an ad for it on the radio. Hence, your computer shop idea makes sense.

I forgot to mention for the Dempster stop, Assi Market, with that ad probably in Korean. The way some of these computers work, if misprogrammed, the Korean and Polish ads could go off at the same time.

• 6 months later...

Moving Forward just had that "... audio advertisements to be played on board buses.

The pilot project will begin early this year on buses operating out of Pace Southwest Division in Bridgeview. Because the system ties into the GPS-based Intelligent Bus System, ads can be localized to feature business located along or near specific bus routes. If successful, the program will expand to other areas and eventually go system wide."

So, with the mention of GPS, I was right with regard to the kind of announcements they would have, just that they would start with Al Asqua Market and Big Discount Motors. But the ones I mentioned in my prior post probably are still on tap.

This advertisement system should be interesting. Often the ADA announcement system does not work and drivers have to manually call major intersections using the PA. I just hope that they won't have to call the advertisements too!:P

If this goes into effect, no way will I ride bus 2429. For some reason, not only does its announcement system work, but it is ear-splitting loud, and for the past few years, no one has turned it down!

On the other hand, my computer shop in on Genesee Street in Waukegan, and I could have them run announcements for my shop. I had been joking for a long time about how much Pace would want for them to have an announcement for that. Considering that about half of North's drivers have come to me for computer repairs, and one of the part time drivers, who is in tech school, also works for me as an apprentice, it would seem appropriate.

The driver should be able to control the volume via his MDT terminal. I believe it is equipped with volume control. He can control the announcements disable if need be and control the operation of the destination sign manually.

The driver should be able to control the volume via his MDT terminal. I believe it is equipped with volume control. He can control the announcements disable if need be and control the operation of the destination sign manually.

The issue is that this is probably the same volume control as controls the "next stop" announcement, in that Pace says that this is a no cost add on to the IBS.

I really doubt that the driver has the time to dump the volume on "Bill Kay Ford" and then up it for "147th" and "Route Three Eight Three South Bound to Oak Foahrest Hospeetal."

P.S. I didn't realize that this was a belated response to RailwayModeler's post about a particular bus, but the point remains.