Cartastrophe

Northsider

I noticed this while riding back in a taxi from the airport yesterday. Bear in mind this is an official tourist map from the City of Chicago and located inside every single taxi in the city, I took this screen shot directly from the city's website.

Merchandise Mart L stop is apparently located on W Wacker now.

ctamap.png

I noticed this while riding back in a taxi from the airport yesterday. Bear in mind this is an official tourist map from the City of Chicago and located inside every single taxi in the city, I took this screen shot directly from the city's website.

Merchandise Mart L stop is apparently located on W Wacker now.

And that's only one example of the mistakes in this document. A 60-second review revealed a few other obvious mistakes. The southern leg of the Loop 'L' - which should be above Van Buren - is located between Adams and Jackson, the Bank of America Theatre (located at 18 W. Monroe) is shown at about 200 W. Washington, Daley Bicentennial Plaza has a typo, the elevated and Blue Line LaSalle stations appear to be located on Clark, the Daley Center and Picasso appear to be a block too far west, City Hall is shown too far west, Block 37 is shown too far south, the Red and Blue line Jackson stops are shown north of Adams, etc.

I'm sure there are more, but I stopped after a minute. (I know space is tight in a downtown area map, but several of these landmarks could be adjusted to be shown in the right locations.)

Some of them may be attributable to trying to depict the buildings (I doubt that the Water Tower has moved to Pearson between Wabash and Rush), but there doesn't seem to be any excuse for the mistakes in the lines and points for the L lines and stations. The BoA Theater can't be excused on this ground, since there is a line from the caption to the supposed place.

Somehow, Maxwell Street became Little Italy. I know that Maxwell Street isn't what it was, but wasn't Little Italy on Taylor Street?

Nice catches! I admit I didn't look very hard at the document, I just noticed the Mart stop and was like "huh?"

Don't look hard. It gets worse.

Out of curiosity, I went to the source of the map you indicated - explorechicago.com. I checked out their CTA map info. One link is directly to transitchicago.com - good. The other is to an outdated PDF (June 2008) on the explorechicago site (not transitchicago.com) that shows several stations on the Brown Line as being closed - Damen, Irving, Paulina, Wellington. (I think Wellington was the last one to reopen in July 2009).

• Upvote 1