Safety Precautions Gone Too Far

westing

I couldn't believe what the DC Metro has done to "improve safety" for pedestrians. Watch the video of an audio warning to pedestrians of a bus turning. Whoever thought this would be useful clearly didn't think it through. It MIGHT only be useful at slow speeds in highly congested areas. Even then, at the current recording length, I doubt it would ever be of any aid.

Now it appears it only a test, hopefully it will be canceled or greatly modified. I couldn't imagine an intersection with two or three buses turning at once. Cover your ears! I remember years back the CTA had audio warnings for customers boarding the escalator at Chicago Red line. It went something like "Please watch your step" and in 2 languages. Common sense guidelines, guess it never caught on. It begs the question, how far is too far for safety?

The issue, of course, is whether DC has had a series of accidents like CTA had a couple of years ago with pedestrians and bicyclists being run over by the rear wheel of a bus. CTA's "cure" was supposedly putting the rubber fender in front of the rear wheels.

I do agree with the original blog poster that a bus doing it continuously is aggravating, plus if it does become street noise to the extent indicated, eventually will be ignored.