St Louis Metro

TMC-RTS-08

St. Louis Metro's fleet of 360 buses consists mainly of Gillig Phantoms ranging from years 1992-2004 and sizes of 30ft, 35ft, and 40ft, though there are currently 26 35ft Gillig Low Floors from 2008.

Metro intended to buy more new buses back in 2009, but budget and funding constraints made them put off their purchases. Now that proposition A passed, this means restored service and an emphasis on modernizing the fleet.

21 new Gillig Low Floors are scheduled for delivery in the first quarter of 2011, including 7 40ft buses and 14 35ft. Approximately next September, 29 more 40ft Gillig buses will arrive. Metro has an agreement with Gillig up until 2013.

2008 Gillig LF during a layover at the CWE transit center.

DSC09571-1.jpg

Gillig Phantoms, the backbone of Metro's fleet.

DSC09574-1.jpg

DSC01482.jpg

DSC09850.jpg

Video of St. Louis area buses and light rail:

http://www.youtube.com/user/chnchlla88#p/u/12/PAXGsUuQY5w

Note: This video has Neoplan AN440 CNGs, Metro retired these back in March 30, 2009 when they drastically reduced service.

• Upvote 2

Metro intended to buy more new buses back in 2009, but budget and funding constraints made them put off their purchases. Now that proposition A passed, this means restored service and an emphasis on modernizing the fleet...

Any stimulus money going to buses there?

Also, I somehow missed how the BiState agency became Metro, in that it appears that while St. Clair County, Illinois has its own MTD, that is only to support St. Louis Metro's service in Illinois, and St. Clair County still has members on the Metro board. Do you have any information whether this was just a name change, or some change of substance?

Any stimulus money going to buses there?

Also, I somehow missed how the BiState agency became Metro, in that it appears that while St. Clair County, Illinois has its own MTD, that is only to support St. Louis Metro's service in Illinois, and St. Clair County still has members on the Metro board. Do you have any information whether this was just a name change, or some change of substance?

Bi State Development Agency has been DBA Metro since 2/1/2003. No stimulus money for buses purchases went to St. Louis. Even though the St. Clair County Transit District is there to support Illinois operations, the bus and rail equipment is pooled on both sides of the river.

I never made it to St Louis when they were still running Flxibles. Nice photos, though! As for St Louis getting Low floors, they're one of the last larger transit systems to add low floor buses to their fleet. I am surprised they waited this long! Since the Gillig Low Floor 1st came out in 1996. Anyway, I will ride a Phantom or any other high floor bus over a Low Floor! South Bend, Indiana has pretty much all Gillig Low Floors, we did have Flxibles!post-231-12924684666878_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I never made it to St Louis when they were still running Flxibles. Nice photos, though! As for St Louis getting Low floors, they're one of the last larger transit systems to add low floor buses to their fleet. I am surprised they waited this long! Since the Gillig Low Floor 1st came out in 1996. Anyway, I will ride a Phantom or any other high floor bus over a Low Floor! South Bend, Indiana has pretty much all Gillig Low Floors, we did have Flxibles!post-231-12924684666878_thumb.jpg

I wish I was a transit fan when St Louis still had Flxibles in revenue service. During the 1990s Bi-State's fleet was majority the Flxible Metro along with Neoplans, and two dozen GMDD New Looks. The Flxibles were retired in 2003. Many of them were sold for scrap or to other transit agencies such as Macomb WIU Go West and Rock Island Metro. Though there is one still left in St. Louis, a 1991 Flxible Metro B is now used by the St Louis Sheriff.

Here is a pic of the Flx at last years St. Patricks Day parade.

post-371-12961715247099_thumb.jpg