Snow-fighting 5000's ?

Amtrak41

The red/white striping just means that the cars are set up for work-train service (I don't know all the details, but it has something to do with special MU capabilities with the flat cars). The 2400s are the only cars that actually have the striping, though. There are 2600s that are also capable of work train service.

I don't know if any 3200s have that capability.

There are a number of cars that are set up with deicing capability. I rode an Orange Line train a few years ago that had the front part of the lead car closed off and set up with containers and special fluids for keeping the ice off the third rail. I don't think it's anything special that couldn't be adapted on a handful of 5000s.

The red/white striping just means that the cars are set up for work-train service (I don't know all the details, but it has something to do with special MU capabilities with the flat cars). The 2400s are the only cars that actually have the striping, though. There are 2600s that are also capable of work train service.

I don't know if any 3200s have that capability.

To be exact, 2401-2424 have the striping.

As for the 2600s and 3200s:

2893-2898 and 3441-3444 are capable of work train service.

• Upvote 1