RIP Joe DiJohn

trainman8119

Just caught this in the Trib . Joe DiJohn was the first Executive Director for Pace. He did a good

job and had a clue on how to run an agency. He was about the service, not much of the nonsense junk they do now. I lost my chance to meet him one on one when I moved up to Corporate becaue the HR person forgot to take me to his office after he returned from a meeting the day I started. Unfortunately, he was run out on a rail, and they brought in the goof from Phoenix they have now. RIP Joe, a good, reputable, transit man.

• Upvote 2

Just caught this in the Trib . Joe DiJohn was the first Executive Director for Pace. He did a good

job and had a clue on how to run an agency. He was about the service, not much of the nonsense junk they do now. I lost my chance to meet him one on one when I moved up to Corporate becaue the HR person forgot to take me to his office after he returned from a meeting the day I started. Unfortunately, he was run out on a rail, and they brought in the goof from Phoenix they have now. RIP Joe, a good, reputable, transit man.

I read his obit, we lost a true transit professional. RIP Mr. DiJohn.

Obviously, I don't know the person personally.

However, the obit noting that he was at the UIC Transportation Center, and Northwestern University also has one, why is transit so fouled up in this area? There must be enough research that the folks running it in NE Illinois could have learned something.

The obit is also correct that he forged a unified system (with a few minor exceptions), as opposed to what was reported to be moving into fragmentation on Long Island, N.Y. I still find it amazing that buses and bus stop signs in such far flung areas as Hammond TC and Joliet compared to North Shore and Waukegan look about the same (of course, more so before 2004).