A Farewell Trip For the Budd 2200 Series?

chicagopcclcar

There has been limited interest expressed on a couple of internet groups. Many remember that the CTA ran a farewell special for the 6000s that ran on the Ravenswood and the Evanston routes and was covered by major news media. There was a handout given to passengers. I don't know whether staffers volunteered or were paid.

If you would be interested in such a trip, now is the time to get some publicity going. I don't know if the "average" rider knows anything about the rapidly closing timeline for the 2200s or even know that such a car exists. By the way December, 2012 is the target date for what its worth.

A lead instructor confided in me that ADA might be a consideration against such a final trip. A solid 2200 eight car consist would photograph quite well. Some alternatives might be an eight car with 2200s on the ends and a 2600 in the belly for ADA. 2200s on the front aren't unusual as it happens on weekends and other times when only four car train are run on the Blue line.

On the good side, there are still CTA employees and managers who do remember the tribute to the 6000s. Trivia: Even after the 6000s and 5-50 and 60s were officially retired, a few 60s made a couple of runs on the Yellow line subbing for the pantograph equipped 3200s.

David H.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't the 2200s that derailed that trip, or are you organizing one?

Yes, the charter that derailed was a four-car charter of 2200s. That derailment almost brought an end to 2200 charters. A replacement chartetr was held a week ago.

That wasn't a charter that I was involved with. It was chartered by worker members at IRM who wanted to experience 2200s again.

David H.

I hope IRM or some other group like CERA decides to setup a charter. It would be great to get another chance seeing a solid set of 2200s on the system one last time. There shouldn't be a lack of demand, I believe the last Snowflake special that used 2200s sold out.