Metra 400's

trainman8119

I'm not going into my defamation rant again, but it seems like "people saying bad things" about everything that is purchased today (including the NABIs and the 400 series Metra locomotives).

I can speak from first hand experience that the 400 series locomotives are not all that great. The problems with these include slow loading, a computer (that itself is really unnecessary) that is unreliable (problems with wheel slippage sensors, dynamic braking and overspeed sensors, just to name a few), poor traction, and poor braking systems (long time for air to get into the system when brakes are applied and poor recovery time when released) just to metion a few.

You will never see them on a UP route because the UP will not allow them on their bridges and in their yards because they are too heavy. Metra got took a bit, because they are not totally new, because they are made from remanufactured parts. Something is always on a bypass system.

The 100 series (100-183) are probably the best in the system right now as they are the most reliable and have the best dynamic braking systems and generally load well.

Many engineers miss the 600s big time. They had power, braking and most important, were dependabe.