Lake Street "L" Structure

westing

I've noticed the Lake Street "L" structure differs in construction greatly between the portion east of the tracks near Western and the part west of the tracks up to the former CNW embankment. The section east of the tracks is constructed with wide spans, so the columns rest within the sidewalks. The segment to the west of the tracks on the other hand is narrower with columns resting in the center of the street.

I've often wondered why these segments differ so greatly. Was the section east of the tracks designed for the possibility of 4 tracks? I don't remember reading anything that this was ever considered. The stations didn't appear designed to be temporary that would otherwise hint towards this possibility.

There are/were a few clues that make it seem this would be possible. This aerial view shows a small section with extra support that appear would accomodate 4 tracks. I can't find the photo but it appears the old bridge over the CNW tracks near Clinton use to have an obvious space for two extra tracks as well. I know three tracks had been in place for express operation but not on the section east of the tracks.

I've noticed the Lake Street "L" structure differs in construction greatly between the portion east of the tracks near Western and the part west of the tracks up to the former CNW embankment. The section east of the tracks is constructed with wide spans, so the columns rest within the sidewalks. The segment to the west of the tracks on the other hand is narrower with columns resting in the center of the street.

I've often wondered why these segments differ so greatly. Was the section east of the tracks designed for the possibility of 4 tracks? I don't remember reading anything that this was ever considered. The stations didn't appear designed to be temporary that would otherwise hint towards this possibility.

There are/were a few clues that make it seem this would be possible. This aerial view shows a small section with extra support that appear would accomodate 4 tracks. I can't find the photo but it appears the old bridge over the CNW tracks near Clinton use to have an obvious space for two extra tracks as well. I know three tracks had been in place for express operation but not on the section east of the tracks.

You are correct that the Lake Street elevated has two basic types of construction with Rockwell Ave. the division point. The eastern half has provision for two tracks to be added. Any stations would not have been serious obstacles. The station and platform would merely be detatched and fastened to the new sets of girders on the outside. Might have happened if the Lake Street had built any of the four or five branch lines it was authorized to build according to its charter. But the Lake Street went bankrupt a few yers after it opened and after that it was never in super financial shape. By 1900, it was under the control of the Northwestern Elevated.

West of Rockwell Ave. and the crossing of the Pennsy Pandhandle railroad, a third middle track was built. The middle track was used mainly for car storage as the Lake Street would not have a yard until the line finally reached Harlem Ave. The middle track was also used for express trains at times.

Whether an over the street elevated had upright columns in the street or at the curb line usually depended on how wide the street was. New York had specific diagrams or templates for this. In Chicago, the narrow streets like Van Buren, Franklin, had the columns at the curb, but wider streets had the columns in the street, just outside of the streetcar tracks. But to provide space for a four track railroad, the Lake St. 'L' had the columns at the curb line east of Rockwell Ave. The streetcar and bus lines that operated under the Lake St. 'L' used vehicles a little narrower than standard equipment.

I have a post in this forum called, "L History 301" which has information on the 'L'. There is a 302, but I haven't posted it here yet. Hope this helps.

David Harrison

You are correct that the Lake Street elevated has two basic types of construction with Rockwell Ave. the division point. The eastern half has provision for two tracks to be added. Any stations would not have been serious obstacles. The station and platform would merely be detatched and fastened to the new sets of girders on the outside. Might have happened if the Lake Street had built any of the four or five branch lines it was authorized to build according to its charter. But the Lake Street went bankrupt a few yers after it opened and after that it was never in super financial shape. By 1900, it was under the control of the Northwestern Elevated.

West of Rockwell Ave. and the crossing of the Pennsy Pandhandle railroad, a third middle track was built. The middle track was used mainly for car storage as the Lake Street would not have a yard until the line finally reached Harlem Ave. The middle track was also used for express trains at times.

Whether an over the street elevated had upright columns in the street or at the curb line usually depended on how wide the street was. New York had specific diagrams or templates for this. In Chicago, the narrow streets like Van Buren, Franklin, had the columns at the curb, but wider streets had the columns in the street, just outside of the streetcar tracks. But to provide space for a four track railroad, the Lake St. 'L' had the columns at the curb line east of Rockwell Ave. The streetcar and bus lines that operated under the Lake St. 'L' used vehicles a little narrower than standard equipment.

I have a post in this forum called, "L History 301" which has information on the 'L'. There is a 302, but I haven't posted it here yet. Hope this helps.

David Harrison

Thanks for the detailed historical information. It's interesting to think what might have been had they built some branch lines. Perhaps if the Lake Street Elevated didn't overbuild for four tracks they would have been in better financial shape.

Thanks for the detailed historical information. It's interesting to think what might have been had they built some branch lines. Perhaps if the Lake Street Elevated didn't overbuild for four tracks they would have been in better financial shape.

You probably should go to chicago-l.org -> Routes and Operations -> Green Line-Lake Branch for what looks to be a more complete history than you'll probably get elsewhere.

Probably more relevant to the extension question what that the company was taken over by Charles Yerkes, who was running the extensions on streetcar lines he also owned (having owned pretty much all of the north and west side city and suburban streetcar systems).

Then you need to go to Historical Figures -> Samuel Insull which indicates that the Lake St. line was in financial trouble which got worse when Yerkes relinquished control. It notes that Insull (who was Thomas Edison's second in command) got involved when he wanted the L lines to buy electricity from the Edison Co., rather than generate it, but when it went into receivership in 1911, Insull was named the receiver. There Graham says " This put Insull in an interesting position: he was not only in control of the elevated company, but was chairman of its largest creditor, the Commonwealth Edison Company." My impression of this was "it doesn't pay to have a captive purchaser of your power if it can't pay the electric bill."

Other things mentioned was that it was unsuccessful in competing with the nearby Metropolitan L, which ran the Garfield (now Congress--Forest Park) Douglas (Pink), Logan Square (Milwaukee via Paulina), and Humboldt Park (north of North Ave.) lines. And, of course, it was also parallel to the C&NW (now UPW), which then had far more local stations.

In that it appears that the L companies became insolvent way before the streetcar companies, and Krambles points out that the Public Utility Holding Company Act (enacted after Insull's Midwest Utilities empire collapsed) prevented Comm Ed from subsidizing the railways, it appears that there were problems other than the original developers overbuilding the structure.