Metra 2013 budget

Busjack

Metra also posted its proposed budget.

The question here is that while the news media has reported that a fare increase would be a last resort, just about all this discusses is the effect of a fare increase. Is it your opinion that:

• This is like a mutual fund prospectus, and staff is just discussing all risks; or
  • Another fare increase is coming in 2013--higher than in the tables because they round fares up to the nearest quarter?

Also, they note the risk that if the state doesn't pay, sales tax goes to RTA bonds first; this was mentioned with regard to the RTA seeking authorization for another bond issue.

Metra also posted its proposed budget.

The question here is that while the news media has reported that a fare increase would be a last resort, just about all this discusses is the effect of a fare increase. Is it your opinion that:

• This is like a mutual fund prospectus, and staff is just discussing all risks; or
  • Another fare increase is coming in 2013--higher than in the tables because they round fares up to the nearest quarter?

Also, they note the risk that if the state doesn't pay, sales tax goes to RTA bonds first; this was mentioned with regard to the RTA seeking authorization for another bond issue.

Me thinks you should watch your wallet. Instead of budgeting for what you can, they will do everything and then cry poor. After the elections you can bet you'll probably hear more about fare increases.

Me thinks you should watch your wallet. Instead of budgeting for what you can, they will do everything and then cry poor. After the elections you can bet you'll probably hear more about fare increases.

But the question here is that while I suppose someone could vote Emanuel out in 2015 over a CTA fare increase B), I really don't see how any member of the Metra board is subject to coercion by election. Same for Pace.

But the question here is that while I suppose someone could vote Emanuel out in 2015 over a CTA fare increase B), I really don't see how any member of the Metra board is subject to coercion by election. Same for Pace.

You forget that the Metra board is made up of nothing but politicians (as is Pace), of

whom any could get heat from a potential candidate. For example, people in Arlington Heights

are well aware of Arlene Mulder's presence on the board (and can't figure out why she is there

either). Is anybody aware of that, who really knows, but I was just trying to make anobservation, that's all.

You forget that the Metra board is made up of nothing but politicians (as is Pace), of

whom any could get heat from a potential candidate. For example, people in Arlington Heights

are well aware of Arlene Mulder's presence on the board (and can't figure out why she is there

either). Is anybody aware of that, who really knows, but I was just trying to make anobservation, that's all.

In that these are very indirect appointments, I doubt that any particular suburban politician would get effective heat over this. In Metra's case, the appointments are by the collar county chairmen of the county boards with the consent of the county boards, Cook County suburban board members (based on townships), the Mayor of Chicago, and the Cook County Board President (John Stroger wanted his share of patronage). 70 ILCS 3615/3B.02. That hits me as too diffuse to be able to go against a county board member, considering how many grievances most of us already have with Cook County government, anyway.

But I note that you just made an observation.