Example of wasted money

trainman8119

From todays Tribune Blog on the flooding (last paragraph):

As Metra saw delays that reached over 100 minutes in some cases, it's new multi-million-dollar Train Tracker system proved unreliable. The system had mythical trains running on time as commuters hunkered down beneath umbrellas with no indication of when the next train might come.

Gee whiz, now thats a surprise :wacko:

Wonder when the newspapers will realize that they are out of control on installing cameras on the platforms (grant or not, totally overkill). At one place there are 12 cameras within 85 feet.

• Upvote 1

From todays Tribune Blog on the flooding (last paragraph):

As Metra saw delays that reached over 100 minutes in some cases, it's new multi-million-dollar Train Tracker system proved unreliable. The system had mythical trains running on time as commuters hunkered down beneath umbrellas with no indication of when the next train might come.

Gee whiz, now thats a surprise :wacko:

Wonder when the newspapers will realize that they are out of control on installing cameras on the platforms (grant or not, totally overkill). At one place there are 12 cameras within 85 feet.

The first is basically that Metra was mandated by state legislation to do something, so they did something that didn't work. I don't know if Pace could say any different.

On the second, again it is Homeland Security money. The only thing I can say is don't get on a train with a Martha Stewart pressure cooker.

I don't have too much an issue with the cameras, just the amount. 12 cameras in 85 feet, 4 per light pole at Mc Cormick place, or 13 on the South Shore platforms is excessive. Be it Metra abusing the grant or the Feds not researching and over supplying, it is a waste. There are systems that I am sure could use some of that money and put it to a better more resourceful use.

I don't have too much an issue with the cameras, just the amount. 12 cameras in 85 feet, 4 per light pole at Mc Cormick place, or 13 on the South Shore platforms is excessive. Be it Metra abusing the grant or the Feds not researching and over supplying, it is a waste. There are systems that I am sure could use some of that money and put it to a better more resourceful use.

I'm sure all of that is a result of the NATO summit being there.

NICTD never indicated if it was reimbursed for its costs.