Pink Line Running 5 Car Trains?

TheBrunswickBowler

I remember hearing rumors about the Pink Line running 5 car trains back in like 2006 or 2007. If they did, it obviously stopped now because they currently run 4 car trains. I want to see if that rumor is true, so I am asking if you can remember anything about the Pink Line running 5 car trains shortly after it was brand new and posting it on this topic.

I remember hearing rumors about the Pink Line running 5 car trains back in like 2006 or 2007. If they did, it obviously stopped now because they currently run 4 car trains. I want to see if that rumor is true, so I am asking if you can remember anything about the Pink Line running 5 car trains shortly after it was brand new and posting it on this topic.

That was a rumor. The CTA has not had any double-ended, single-car units since the retirement of the 5-50 series (a variation of the 6000-series) PCC cars in the late 1990s. Double-ended, single-car units would have been required to have such an odd number of cars on a train consist. During rush periods and for a short time after the 5000s were reintroduced to the Pink Line after repairs last year, the Pink Line did run with 6-car trains - and then, only if there were extra cars at 54th Yard.

• Upvote 1

That was a rumor. The CTA has not had any double-ended, single-car units since the retirement of the 5-50 series (a variation of the 6000-series) PCC cars in the late 1990s. Double-ended, single-car units would have been required to have such an odd number of cars on a train consist. During rush periods and for a short time after the 5000s were reintroduced to the Pink Line after repairs last year, the Pink Line did run with 6-car trains - and then, only if there were extra cars at 54th Yard.

Besides that, all cars (other than former 1-50) are in married pairs, and do not have couplers on the back end, just a drawbar between the two cars. So, if someone was thinking something like the mismatched cars on the Metra Electric, it can't happen on the CTA.

• Upvote 1