Head Car Video, CTA Aug. 8 Farewell 2200 Series

chicagopcclcar

Here is the video shot from the head car on the return trip of the short-turn non stop Rosemont-Jefferson Park mini run. CTA notables include Graham Garfield, Chris Fisher, John Zupko, and Bruce Moffat. Several people noted my former commercial series of L/Subway videos before the days of one-man cabs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQsWsOY5VI

• Upvote 5

The part of the video you shot at Forest Park shows how much creatures of habit CTA riders tend to be. The reaction of that one guy's in the background was kind of funny. "Well here comes an L train. But wait that's the wrong one.' :lol: Two decades of CTA rail cars' signs having that line's color as the sign's background color and the elimination of A/B skip stop service a few years into the use of the color code system has shorted the public's collective memory that the 'Congress/Milwaukee' stickers over the destination panels replicated what the car destination signs used to look like. One quick question. Was the Cumberland interlock and station area the only slow spot of the Rosemont-Jefferson Park express mini trip?

One quick question. Was the Cumberland interlock and station area the only slow spot of the Rosemont-Jefferson Park express mini trip?

Yes, that was the only slowdown, and it wasn't a slow zone, it was more workers on the track and an application of the rules for that circumstance. the month-old slow zone map shows a signal slow zone north of Jeff Park but I didn't notice that. For all the bitching that Busjack does here and on CTA Tattler about CTA maintenance, he's never given credit....The Blue line has NO slow zones from Logan Square to O'Hare, except the aforementioned and another one indicated on the map, SB in the subway at O'Hare. Since there are three subway tracks, I don't know which one is affected. The Blue line also has NO SLOW ZONES in the Dearborn subway. The Yellow line has NO SLOW ZONES. The Orange line HAS NO SLOW ZONES. On all four sides of the Loop 'L', there are NO slow zones. The Pink line has two blocks of slow zones on the incline west of Pulaski in both directions. The Brown line has three blocks of Slow Zones on the surface east of Kedzie in both directions. The Red line has NO SLOW Zones in the State Street subway. The south side connector has No Slow Zones. The South Side Main from 17th to 59th Sts. has No Slow Zones, but there is some work set up south of 51st St. Neither the Englewood or the East 63rd branches have any slow zones. And to what I can discover, no other transit system in the nation publishes data on their track conditions like the CTA does.

• Upvote 3

Yes, that was the only slowdown, and it wasn't a slow zone, it was more workers on the track and an application of the rules for that circumstance. the month-old slow zone map shows a signal slow zone north of Jeff Park but I didn't notice that. For all the bitching that Busjack does here and on CTA Tattler about CTA maintenance, he's never given credit....The Blue line has NO slow zones from Logan Square to O'Hare, except the aforementioned and another one indicated on the map, SB in the subway at O'Hare. Since there are three subway tracks, I don't know which one is affected. The Blue line also has NO SLOW ZONES in the Dearborn subway. The Yellow line has NO SLOW ZONES. The Orange line HAS NO SLOW ZONES. On all four sides of the Loop 'L', there are NO slow zones. The Pink line has two blocks of slow zones on the incline west of Pulaski in both directions. The Brown line has three blocks of Slow Zones on the surface east of Kedzie in both directions. The Red line has NO SLOW Zones in the State Street subway. The south side connector has No Slow Zones. The South Side Main from 17th to 59th Sts. has No Slow Zones, but there is some work set up south of 51st St. Neither the Englewood or the East 63rd branches have any slow zones. And to what I can discover, no other transit system in the nation publishes data on their track conditions like the CTA does.

Thanks so much for answering my question. The reason I asked is because it's been quite some time since I've personally had opportunity to ride that portion of the Blue Line, and it looked like that stretch was smooth sailing except for when approaching the Cumberland interlocking and station area when the guys were shown doing some track work. And I was going out on a limb in just calling that area a slow spot instead of slow zone as I didn't notice the orange and white signs indicating a slow zone. You verified my guess was the correct one.