New Barns 13 &14 Under Construction at IRM

Well looks like they got the funding they needed to build some new barns. Question is where on the property is this located? There was a couple spots they could actually build now that I'm thinking of it. One is the spot where the turbine Union Pacific GTEL is and I'm thinking of a spot where they had steam locos out in the open next to the barn that always has the Electroliner in it.

They also had some engines stored down the way from I believe that's Olson Rd. by the front gate. So sounds like they need some some barns to protect the trains from weathering issues. Here's the link....

http://www2.irm.org/blogs/archives/1845-The-long-wait-is-over.html

Edited by BusHunter

Well looks like they got the funding they needed to build some new barns. Question is where on the property is this located? There was a couple spots they could actually build now that I'm thinking of it. One is the spot where the turbine Union Pacific GTEL is and I'm thinking of a spot where they had steam locos out in the open next to the barn that always has the Electroliner in it.

They also had some engines stored down the way from I believe that's Olson Rd. by the front gate. So sounds like they need some some barns to protect the trains from weathering issues. Here's the link....

http://www2.irm.org/blogs/archives/1845-The-long-wait-is-over.html

I havent been out to IRM in the last two years!  I have to make a trip out there before this season ends. 

I think the locations are designated 25 and 26 in the map on the link below.

http://www.irm.org/tour/propertymap.html

Bob

Ah, so they are expanding? Barn 11, 24 on the map was the most southern part of the property. Barn 13 and 14 are linked further south now by a non electrified track. (for locos and passenger cars?) Looks like they plan on doing another two barns next to barns 13 and 14 with a track going around them and the property to the south. Hopefully they plan on putting the "L" cars stored outside somewhere. 4 more barns should do something for them. I hate to see the GTEL outside all this time. Like many other items at the museum it's a one of a kind now.

Edited by BusHunter

Ah, so they are expanding? Barn 11, 24 on the map was the most northern part of the property. Barn 13 and 14 are linked further north now by a non electrified track. (for locos and passenger cars?) Looks like they plan on doing another two barns next to barns 13 and 14 with a track going around them and the property to the NE. Hopefully they plan on putting the "L" cars stored outside somewhere. 4 more barns should do something for them. I hate to see the GTEL outside all this time. Like many other items at the museum it's a one of a kind now. 

Yards (and the barns built over them) are numbered generally north-to-south at IRM.  So yes, Barns 13 and 14 are being built over existing Yards 13 and 14 at the south end of the property, which is somewhere the public has mostly not gone because the infrastructure was not in place to invite them there.  A road is now in place south from Barn 9 across the yard leads as far as Yard 14.  It's still gravel at this point.  The yard lead south from South Junction to 13/14/15 and the Streetcar Line extension is not electrified yet.  The Streetcar Line extension will eventually loop around Yard 15, north along Olson Rd., and east down Main St. when it's built.  All of the Chicago 'L cars except the 2200s and 2400s have inside storage space, and will be inside when the new barns are ready.  The 2200s, 2400s, and gas turbine (among other pieces) have not yet raised enough money to go inside (hint hint).  Two tracks of Yard 15 have been built already.  Yard 12 can't be used until a tail track is put in at South Junction, and a small bridge across the creek is needed there (we have the Montrose Ave. bridge which could be used for this). 

Richard Schauer

IRM volunteer

• Upvote 2

I should have figured the tracks leading to the new barns would be electrified. They come off the streetcar loop according to the map. So that green dotted line around the property is the future streetcar extension line? Barns 10 and 11 are streetcar barns? The map says they are non electrified. There probably isn't room for anything else like a loco under the streetcar electric cable as they feed into the streetcar line, but that would then pose the question that the 4 barns are intended for just electric powered trains?. Also how does anything leave barns 10 and 11 unless it's towed. Maybe they are possibly workshop barns? Maybe you guys intend on moving around all the electric stuff to get it all in one area. Still I don't see how that would benefit locos themselves. Interesting, sorry about all the questions!!

Edited by BusHunter

I should have figured the tracks leading to the new barns would be electrified. They come off the streetcar loop according to the map. So that green dotted line around the property is the future streetcar extension line? Barns 10 and 11 are streetcar barns? The map says they are non electrified. There probably isn't room for anything else like a loco under the streetcar electric cable as they feed into the streetcar line, but that would then pose the question that the 4 barns are intended for just electric powered trains?. Also how does anything leave barns 10 and 11 unless it's towed. Maybe they are possibly workshop barns? Maybe you guys intend on moving around all the electric stuff to get it all in one area. Still I don't see how that would benefit locos themselves. Interesting, sorry about all the questions!!

Whether the barns themselves are electrified depends on what gets put in them.  The lead to them will be, because it's part of the streetcar line extension.  (For instance, Barn 9 is not electrified, because it's mostly steam locomotives and the Zephyr- no need to electrify.  But Barns 6/7/8 are full of electric cars which run themselves in and out- they are electrified.)  Barns 10 and 11 have a variety of equipment in them, a few streetcars but mostly railroad cars.  It's largely static equipment, and when things do need to move they are pulled by a diesel.  The trolley wire height is about 17-19' (except in barns) and our tallest equipment is just over 16', so any equipment can go anywhere on outdoor tracks. 

When the new barns are ready, I do expect a "re-shuffling" of equipment, but when that's done, I think operating electric cars will be concentrated in Barns 6/7/8, even more than they are now.  They are the barns which presently have wire and it's convenient to get equipment in them out to the station and back.  (For reference, Barn 2 is the diesel shop and track dept. shop, Barn 3 has passenger coaches and the coach shop, Barn 4 is the electric car shop with a pit, Yard 5 is generally diesels and coaches displayed outdoors, Barn 6 is interurbans, Barn 7 is rapid transit and streetcars, Barn 8 is rapid transit and interurbans, Barn 9 is steam and the Zephyr, Barn 10 and 11 are storage of coaches, freight cars, etc., and Yard 15 has mostly freight cars right now.  There are certain other things in all of these places, depending on what's needed where, what fits where, and a million other considerations.)

Richard

• Upvote 2