Longest NYC Subway Ride

KedziePink

An email newsletter I'm subscribed to shared an article about how a podcast host was given a route that an app determined would be the longest possible ride on the NYC subway. The route would be able to revisit a station or transfer between lines as many times as needed, but could not backtrack on any segment of a line. (The article also includes the app used to determine the route.)

It makes me wonder what would be the longest ride you could take on the L, using the same method.

Edited by KedziePink
Wording

An email newsletter I'm subscribed to shared an article about how a podcast host was given a route that an app determined would be the longest possible ride on the NYC subway. The route would be able to revisit a station or transfer between lines as many times as needed, but could not backtrack on any segment of a line. (The article also includes the app used to determine the route.)

It makes me wonder what would be the longest ride you could take on the L, using the same method.

The only faux contest done around here was hitting all 143 or 142 or 145 CTA stations in the least amount of time, which allowed use of your feet or other means of public transit, but not the airport limo or the like. However, my impression was that it was impossible to do so without backtracking the same segment, so the result by these rules would be much shorter.I suppose you could end up at 95th, but couldn't return from there, and it would take such things as taking Pace buses between Harlem Green Line and Forest Park and some bus between 54th and Midway. But that would violate the NY rule that you can emerge only to use the bathroom.

• Upvote 1