Another 4900

trainman8119

As part of the education march today on Dearborn street, the Chicago Fire Department brought up the rear in freshly painted old 4900. I have a pic on my phone and when I figure out how to transfer it, I'll post it. Unfortunately, I have only a rear shot. The front shot I had didn't take (I am learning how to use new toys, so consequently I screwed up). The pic I have does show the red and white paint scheme and the fact that there is no AC with a window in the back shows that it is an old 4900. Those few buses that are around are in much better shape than some of the Flxibles, and short of a/c, I wonder if it wouldn't have been better for the CTA to soak a couple of bucks into them instead of going with the used Pace buses.

The main question is whether radical body surgery would have been required to put lifts in the front (or even in the rear if CTA would have tolerated that), as well as the cost of A/C and the mid-life rehab. [The main justification for retiring them seemed to be that they weren't accessible.] Considering that the Pace buses were $5,000 each, and in better shape, spending more than that would have been doubtful.