CTA vs Pace

trainman8119

Is there some major bad blood going on between Pace and the CTA.

Carole Browne's statement in today's Sun Times:

"With all due respect to Pace, I don't appreciate that comparison," said Brown, who was chosen Wednesday to head the CTA board for another three-year term."

This quote was in response to the L with all it's slow zones being compared to Pace's bus an hour schedule. I would think that instead of complaining about an fair comparison, that maybe somehow the problems the CTA has would be addressed.

Might this bickering have started with the fare increase and transferless connections between the 2 agencies as well as the CTA running the 90 over the Pace 307 ????

Just wondering if there is some behind the scenes backstabbing going on here ????

Don't know, but probably. On the record are CTA's feud with Metra (Jeff Ladd) on which Pace sided with Metra, the dispute over the 7-day pass, and the botched "mediation" about CTA overrunning Pace 307 and 322 as a result of the west side restructuring. Carole has also shown her ignorance about Pace operations, for instance, having been called on her blog for her incorrect assertion that Pace was directly operating paratransit, instead of through contractors. She probably was hurt when told that Pace does so more efficiently than CTA, but since the legislation moving responsibility for paratransit to RTA and Pace got rid of a $54 million operating obligation, didn't care. There was also the B.S. about CTA claiming it had the overwhelming number of "unlinked trips" in the Cook County suburbs, while Pace said it had the most coverage, but only gets 1/3 of the tax revenue that CTA does from those suburbs. The RTA and service boards are using movingbeyondcongestion.org to try to show a unified front against the taxpayers, but that may be masquerading things. See also today's article in the Sun Times. I think da Mare's appointees are afraid that if they ask the suburbanites for more money, the suburban taxpayers will demand reforms.

On the other hand, Pace probably believes it is being squeezed by CTA and RTA and doesn't have any power to do much about it (and got reamed by the Tribune and Pioneer Press for bringing the lawsuit against RTA a couple of years ago that eventually did result in getting the Pace budget approved).

Pace may be running once an hour on outlying routes (like out here) but they seem to do so on time, something CTA can't do.

The Tribune article indicates that RTA may be deescalating the feud by giving Pace what it is asking for paratransit and more for the 7-day pass. However, this seems to be at the expense of allocating more capital to operating. My impression from the budgets was that Pace and CTA were each doing about $25 million per year of this (most of Pace's program, but not much of CTA's), but the article now projects $102 million for 2006. Wonder where the freshmen (there are no more high schools in Chicago, just academies) will get the funds for their assured bus replacement plans.

• 2 weeks later...

SHOCK!!! I actually got a response on Ask Carole:

Jack:

Regional cooperation is not just a charade, but it is my imagination or are you and the readers of the blog about to hang me in effigy for the unacceptable performance of our rail lines? I would not be doing my job if I did not advocate for CTA and its riders. CTA transports 1.5 million riders per day on our trains and buses. Pace carries less than 200,000. I have a real problem with any strategic plan that feels that the issues or the impact of Pace and CTA are the same. And, by the way -- Pace asked for RTA mediation because they felt CTA was providing duplicative service. Simply put, they believe that all CTA service should stop at the City line. I find that more than hypocritical as I see PACE buses-- supposedly, the suburban bus service -- careening up and down Michigan Avenue and Lake Shore Drive or staged in front of Soldier Field or White Sox park.

I think the answer is yes.

I think she should not only be hung in effigy for the poor performance of the L lines (not how rarely it is called rapid transit these days), but her, Frank and the entire board as well as any politico who wants to be a transit efficianado should be hung for the poor performance of the entire system !!!!

Buses that dont have seats, bicyles allowed on buses slowing down runs (I watched a guy take 3 stoplights at Michigan and Washington trying to put a bike on the front of the bus on Monday), poor L service, using lifts for strollers then allowing said strollers to block aisles on buses...a serious safety problem to say the least, buses that deadhead more than they are in service, destination signs that go on and on...and the list can go on for ever.

I contend Pace is a Mickey Mouse organization (I can speak...I spent 4 years there, and even still have a few contacts there)....but compared to the leaders at the CTA these days, they look like brilliant geniuses. Whether or not Pace has 200,000 riders to the CTA's 1.5 mil, a trip on Pace should not be done faster than the L...for that matter, nothing should !!!!!!

What a bonehead statement.