Budget

trainman8119

One interesting thing I have seen in recent days is that Pace is budgeting for Signal Priority on Rand Road. Why????? I CAN'T FIND A SINGLE BUS ROUTE PACE OPERATES ON RAND ROAD !!!!!!!!!! Why would they waste their time and money doing signal priority there when there isn't a bus on the street ????

As a side line...it looks as though the success of the van pool may be coming to bite them a bit right now as there is a large sum of money that needs to be put out to replace all the vans.

And finally...if operating the Chicago paratransit is such a drain (constant "whining" about the Chicago fare of $1.50 being half of the suburban fare), why did Pace bother to claim operating the service. Granted the CTA was lousy at it...but then if that was the case, couldn't Pace have played more hard ball in terms of what they wanted or needed to operate it without it being a hardship. I mean, either do it our way or we won't do it.

1. They must think Melissa Bean is getting them money (and maybe Melissa thinks she has to, now that labor has dumped her). See the Pace Federal Projects page and the page on that project saying that Pace received an earmark. Pork in action.

2. There always is a need to replace the vans, which have a 3 year life. According to past Tribune reports, the van pool system is the only part of Pace that makes money. The 2007 budget indicates recovery rates of 112% to 194% on the regular vanpool programs, and even 80% on the AdaVANtage program. Better $30,000 for a van than $285,000 for a bus (both of which may have an equal load in some Pace territories). The budget also contemplates the program growing from about 600 to 790 pools.

3. The Legislation says that RTA is responsible for paying for paratransit. Thus, Pace just asks for the $82 million (appears to be a considerable increase from the claimed $54 million for CTA and maybe $12 million for Pace in 2005), and RTA has to come up with the funds. What I don't understand is why both are waiting for some consultant to tell them them to raise the Chicago fares, when the legislation clearly establishes a recovery ratio.

• 5 months later...
Guest metralink

Ever been on Rand Road lately? The development and in-fills are in place. I agree the corridor needs service perhaps this is an attempt to do it all at once, get the signaling system in place along with the service, one goes hand in hand.

As for the vans, of course they need eventual replacing, all equipment does after its useful life, this is nothing new.

I seem to recall state legislation mandated the Paratransit transfer as a way to close the CTA's budget gap, we should be asking the state these questions.

The last Moving into the Future said that the Gov's budget proposed the $54 million for paratransit again, but Pace wants $81 m. The RTA ADA funding plan at some point only assumes the need for the additional money, but it in other places and Moving Beyond Congestion assumes the need for the whole $ 81 million.

Moving Beyond Congestion indicates Pace's intention that if they get the TSP and additional funding, they will put on the Rand bus, but those are two big contingencies. As previously noted, Pace seems to ask for everything and is happy if it gets something.