Red Eye Blog

In regards to Busjack's post about the Red Eye blog. I will agree that there were many good comments in the blog. It was nice to know that many of us in the forum were not the only ones who felt that Frank was useless. The Huberman comments were mixed, and I myself am with those who say lets wait and see. I do think it would be better though to have a transit pro at the helm, since I feel the politicians would be better served to politicate and not be bus and train experts.

What I would like to know, though, is from those who are actual employees (like myself) regarding many comments made by people who are constantly bantering that we should be catering to them because "they pay my salary". Quite frankly, when I hear that phrase, I get super upset and want to hit something, mainly because these people DONT pay my salary, unless they are filling up their gas tanks. Their names are not on my paycheck !!!! Their 2.00 fare is far from paying mine and most of the other transit worker salaries.

To those who don't get it, it goes something like this. Every day we have to put up with those who insist on not having tickets, not having money ready, feel it more important to talk on a cell phone or whatever than pay attention to where they are going, or paying their fare, feet on seats, garbage left behind, and on and on. Add to that the whining that, perhaps, something is running late or not, employee X did this or that...this train or bus did this or that...and the hits keep going on and on. I would be willing to bet that as much as traffic is to blame for delays, that you could add people taking their sweet old time to get down a platform, taking 3 stoplights to put a bike on the front of a bus (or look for an ADA car to load it on), trying to put a stroller that is 10 times bigger and heavier than the person trying to lift it instead of taking the kid out and folding it up. For all the whining about how horrible operators, conductors, and customer service agents are....people should sometimes look in a mirror and realize that they themselves account for about 40-50% of the slowdown problems, and bring on the lack of courtesy by how they act themselves. I really think that if some of the execs rode the service once in awhile, they would realize that for the most part we really are good in the service area and put up with much much more than we should and they wouldn't be preaching about being "nice" so much. It goes both ways.

Let's hear from CTA and Pace's finest on this !!!! Agree or Disagree ??????

In regards to Busjack's post about the Red Eye blog. I will agree that there were many good comments in the blog. It was nice to know that many of us in the forum were not the only ones who felt that Frank was useless. The Huberman comments were mixed, and I myself am with those who say lets wait and see. I do think it would be better though to have a transit pro at the helm, since I feel the politicians would be better served to politicate and not be bus and train experts.

What I would like to know, though, is from those who are actual employees (like myself) regarding many comments made by people who are constantly bantering that we should be catering to them because "they pay my salary". Quite frankly, when I hear that phrase, I get super upset and want to hit something, mainly because these people DONT pay my salary, unless they are filling up their gas tanks. Their names are not on my paycheck !!!! Their 2.00 fare is far from paying mine and most of the other transit worker salaries.

To those who don't get it, it goes something like this. Every day we have to put up with those who insist on not having tickets, not having money ready, feel it more important to talk on a cell phone or whatever than pay attention to where they are going, or paying their fare, feet on seats, garbage left behind, and on and on. Add to that the whining that, perhaps, something is running late or not, employee X did this or that...this train or bus did this or that...and the hits keep going on and on. I would be willing to bet that as much as traffic is to blame for delays, that you could add people taking their sweet old time to get down a platform, taking 3 stoplights to put a bike on the front of a bus (or look for an ADA car to load it on), trying to put a stroller that is 10 times bigger and heavier than the person trying to lift it instead of taking the kid out and folding it up. For all the whining about how horrible operators, conductors, and customer service agents are....people should sometimes look in a mirror and realize that they themselves account for about 40-50% of the slowdown problems, and bring on the lack of courtesy by how they act themselves. I really think that if some of the execs rode the service once in awhile, they would realize that for the most part we really are good in the service area and put up with much much more than we should and they wouldn't be preaching about being "nice" so much. It goes both ways.

Let's hear from CTA and Pace's finest on this !!!! Agree or Disagree ??????

From a former CTA operator:

All I have to say is Trainman8119, You hit the nail right on the head! I agree 110% with your statement. You pretty much summed it up. I have to say though Kruesi did ride the system, I am testament to that. He boarded my bus one morning on the 156 Lasalle, he was very polite and asked me what could be improved? As for Huberman, "What a joke! Typical politics in Chicago. Daley shouldve tried a little harder to find someone who is experienced. What we need at the helm is another George Krambles, God rest his soul. Mr Krambles was a real transit professional who had the passion and energy, the drive to make the best transit system possible, not another Daley crony whose only transit experience was driving a school bus for three years. Give me a break! I laughed when Huberman told the media his transit experience was "driving a school bus for three years" I thought "Is this a joke?" I think CTAs real troubles are only beginning. Huberman is not the answer! We need a real experienced transit professional, someone who has driven buses, someone who has operated a subway train, someone who knows about transit. Someone who recognizes the problems of a transit system and has the quick answers to correct it.

With regard to "they pay my salary," ultimately the customers and taxpayers do. If nothing else, the 1% RTA sales tax in Cook County and .25% elsewhere does (setting aside details about the formula), as well as the fares. The people who want "funding" never say what taxes they are willing to pay, although the last two RTA reports had a smörgåsbord (thank you spell checker) of taxes that could be imposed.

It is about the same as autoworkers' salaries being paid by the customers, except that the customers vote by buying Toyotas and Hondas, and the big 3, unfortunately, have to downsize. There is not a similar counterbalance in the public sector, until you hit the tax cap.

However, you are correct that many of the customers are boors. Yesterday, the Tribune had a column Are diners thieves or just souvenir seekers? Again, I know someone like that (but a much more petty thief). It probably was never the case here, like Toronto, where riders would yield a seat to an elderly person, but the people who ride the L and Metra don't follow the rules, and you have the solicitors and the people who leave garbage on the L. The only thing that bugged me on Metra is that on the weekends, some parents don't control the kids "who ride free" and the kids run all over the car, and if you sit down, one of them looks at you like you took her seat.

With regard to "they pay my salary," ultimately the customers and taxpayers do. If nothing else, the 1% RTA sales tax in Cook County and .25% elsewhere does (setting aside details about the formula), as well as the fares. The people who want "funding" never say what taxes they are willing to pay, although the last two RTA reports had a smörgåsbord (thank you spell checker) of taxes that could be imposed.
I agree with you, but you also back up my point. Those who cry about "paying your salary" are implying without them, I don't get paid. Not true. If they singly, don't ride, the trains and buses will still run and I will get my check. Also, most of the money that is coming is from the sales tax. So, I probably get paid more of a percentage from those who don't ride and annoy me than from those who do, and that is my point. When someone tries to bully me with that comment, it doesn't work, and actually works toward making me more antagonistic towards them than not.

However, you are correct that many of the customers are boors...The only thing that bugged me on Metra is that on the weekends, some parents don't control the kids "who ride free" and the kids run all over the car, and if you sit down, one of them looks at you like you took her seat.
Not only that...if you attempt to do something about it, then you are the criminal...not to mention you hear garbage like "hey, I pay your salary...". What everybody fails to understand, that with this being a public system, we should have more leeway to control and enforce rules instead of this nonsense that the "customer (or rider in this case) is always right". One person does not own this...it is communial. It should benefit a majority, not a minority. This is one reason I dispise bikes so much on public transportation. It takes up room, slows down service, etc. But these people rule the roost. It is not just bikes, but paying penalties, cell phones, strollers, and so on. So, I would like to hear more from fellow "servants" out there to see if I am in the minority, or am I on the mark.

Not being a servant, but you seem to raise two issues:

• The lack of effective security on the trains. This may be due to a lack of money to hire security guards (despite Homeland Security funds) or the failure to give conductors security uniforms and powers (on Metra, where you at least have conductors) to deal with the boors. Is there railroad police you can call?
  • Policies regarding bikes and stuff, with which you don't agree.

Maybe fares should be increased on transit and the airlines to price out these customers. On the other hand, while it may not make a difference if they do not singly ride (and their fares cover only 1/3 of the cost, except on the BNSF, which comes close to breaking even), the aggregate effect of a lack of demand would eventually put the train lines out of business.