Minneapolis "t" Buses....

Where did they drive the bus?

I was actually surprised at how long of a drive it took. It went on Cedar ave. up to Cliff rd. and then over to Hwy. 13 and back onto Cedar Ave. after Diffley. It was a pretty smooth ride on 13 considering how bumpy the road was. It was also fun to see the looks on the faces of people driving their cars when they saw this big fancy looking bus go by :lol: I think it was about a 10 to 15 minute drive altogether. I was glad they did take it down 77 since we were going pretty fast for part.

Back in the mid 80s, service outside of Minneapolis and St. Paul proper was A W F U L. It was as if the suburbs didn't exist, particularly in the West and South metro. Many, many neighborhoods only saw one or two buses a day, during peak hours. And where you did have service outside of the peak, you'd have service running at most once an hour, oftentimes every 2 hours or more. And you almost always had to go downtown in order to transfer to other routes - no crosstown service to speak of, really.

It was this attitude combined with already low population density in the Twin Cities that made some communities opt out when that choice was made available to them.

Of course, as you can see, only MVTA has really expanded service out of the "downtown commuter" routes...SW Transit has one or two routes that run outside of the peak hour, Plymouth Metrolink is still pretty much a weekday only thing, and Maple Grove Transit still shuts down completely at the weekend.

I wonder if skyrocketing gas prices will really help send a fundamental shift in transit usage in the car-conscious Twin Cities...it is sorely needed.

-SW has evening and weekend expresses now.

-Plymouth added Midday and Evening commuter service a few years ago. They had a midday shuttle in the mid 90's (Routes 90A and 90B). The 2nd and 3rd shift service was cut in 2005.

-Maple Grove doesn't even have Reverse Commute service! They added midday trips on the 781 for commuters, but Metro Transit had to step in and put a local route in.

-Shakopee has midday service, but it doesn't connect to the regional network.

I was actually surprised at how long of a drive it took. It went on Cedar ave. up to Cliff rd. and then over to Hwy. 13 and back onto Cedar Ave. after Diffley. It was a pretty smooth ride on 13 considering how bumpy the road was. It was also fun to see the looks on the faces of people driving their cars when they saw this big fancy looking bus go by :lol: I think it was about a 10 to 15 minute drive altogether. I was glad they did take it down 77 since we were going pretty fast for part.

That sounds cool, I wish they used it in actual service though!

Back in the mid 80s, service outside of Minneapolis and St. Paul proper was A W F U L. It was as if the suburbs didn't exist, particularly in the West and South metro. Many, many neighborhoods only saw one or two buses a day, during peak hours. And where you did have service outside of the peak, you'd have service running at most once an hour, oftentimes every 2 hours or more. And you almost always had to go downtown in order to transfer to other routes - no crosstown service to speak of, really.

It was this attitude combined with already low population density in the Twin Cities that made some communities opt out when that choice was made available to them.

Of course, as you can see, only MVTA has really expanded service out of the "downtown commuter" routes...SW Transit has one or two routes that run outside of the peak hour, Plymouth Metrolink is still pretty much a weekday only thing, and Maple Grove Transit still shuts down completely at the weekend.

I wonder if skyrocketing gas prices will really help send a fundamental shift in transit usage in the car-conscious Twin Cities...it is sorely needed.

I bet gas prices will affect the Twin Cities someday. There are still a few anti transit holdouts from what I can tell reading any bus related comments on twincities.com/forum. I'm really hoping though that the Robert Street Corridor project can start advancing soon, as well as the other transit corridor projects. once they get some of theses proposed lines going it should help out a lot. (Even though it will probably be a while :( )

Thanks for mentioning the fact that there was not much (if any) service out here in the 80's. Even though the service grid is not the best for getting around in the 'burbs here, I am very thankful that the MVTA runs the 445 and 446. Honestly if I had not been able to start riding those routes before, I don't know if I would even be a busfan now since riding the 445 was what really got me into my transit and bus interests. I would probably just be out there complaining about the condition of the roads and high gas prices like the others :lol:

That sounds cool, I wish they used it in actual service though!

Yeah, I was thinking its too bad they couldn't have put it on the 480 from AVTS via ETS and on towards St. Paul, and then do a 460 trip with it or something. Or run the Cedar ave. portion of 442 with it. I think the bus will be at the Apple Valley Cub until about 6 pm just in case you're going out that way soon BTW.

Here are some transit updates:

- A driver was beaten by 8 people on Route 68 (Robert St.-Jackson St.)

- 28th Avenue Ramp opens July 22nd.

- Several buses were vandilized at one of the retirement lots in North Minneapolis (near Lyndale and I-94). These were 2200's and 2300's waiting to be sold or used for State Fair service.

- Southwest Transit is cutting some midday service on August 8th, also Victoria P/R will get less service (2 trips) than before (~6-8 trips).

Yeah I saw the news stories about that driver beating, :angry: as bad as it is when a driver is injured at least the attacks are on a downward trend. it was sort of surprising it happened on the 68, :o but since it was towards downtown I guess any route would be open. How badly were the buses vandalized? I wonder if MT will need to pull some from the 94/Snelling lot for State Fair service, or if we'll just see a lot of the newer buses instead. With the RNC going on, extra artics on state fair express routes might be the way to go anyways.

Hmm... Thats a tricky line to walk between defending yourself and leaving your post. Really though, I wouldn't worry about a passenger eating as long as they pay their fare. Smokin' pot or something yes, but eating you'll find on lots of buses.

I couldn't find the article about the vandalism on the website. I swear it was channel 5 news though.

Thats okay, i'll believe you if you'll believe me saying that there were a lot of camera crews at the NABI bus tour. They must have all been for the anonymous news network or something :lol:

I was pulling my bus in today at Colonial and I found this bus in the yard. Minneapolis Metro Gillig #1540, it arrived over the weekend. The Metro Transit decals are still visible as well as the Metro Council lettering.

post-158-1216688677_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216688795_thumb.jpg

I was pulling my bus in today at Colonial and I found this bus in the yard. Minneapolis Metro Gillig #1540. It arrived over the weekend. The Metro Transit decals are still visible as well as the Metro Council lettering.

Nice :) Do you know where it came from at all? As in from Met Council or from a dealer? I haven't been by the 94/Snelling lot recently and still haven't gone and actually looked at the bus #'s. So thats a 1990 Phantom, is Colonial going to use it for their fleet or just for parts? I wonder if it has a Cummins or a DD. I can tell from the reflections in the windows that there are quite a few buses in your yard there :D

Nice :) Do you know where it came from at all? As in from Met Council or from a dealer? I haven't been by the 94/Snelling lot recently and still haven't gone and actually looked at the bus #'s. So thats a 1990 Phantom, is Colonial going to use it for their fleet or just for parts? I wonder if it has a Cummins or a DD. I can tell from the reflections in the windows that there are quite a few buses in your yard there :D

From your neck of the woods! :) I was only told that the bus came from Minneapolis. As far as I know Im not sure what will happen with the bus. But I think its cool that we have a Metro Transit bus in our lot. Usually we get buses fron Dallas Dart or NJ Transit, we recently got a couple of RTS buses fron Brockton Area Transit in suburban Boston as well as three exHouston Neoplan artics. Some buses are used for parts, as far as the #1540 goes I dont know at this point what will be done with the bus. Hopefully the bus wont be used for parts. The interior has a few seats left but half the seating is gone. Judging by the amount of dust and dirt inside it sat for a good while. Im going to shoot a couple more pics tomorrow to post here. The blue Orion in view is an ex-Pace suburban bus. I couldnt believe it when I saw the Gillig today! Colonial Coach Lines is a charter and a Pace contract transit operator based in Elk Grove Village, Ill just NW of OHare airport. Pace provides us a fleet of 28 buses operating over six routes. NABI 35ft. LFW and 35/40ft, Orion I buses. I really enjoy it!. I know this is just wishful thinking but I wish the Gillig would be turned into a Pace bus. :) Next time youre in town let me know and Ill give you a tour of the yard.

From your neck of the woods! :) I was only told that the bus came from Minneapolis. As far as I know Im not sure what will happen with the bus. But I think its cool that we have a Metro Transit bus in our lot. Usually we get buses fron Dallas Dart or NJ Transit, we recently got a couple of RTS buses fron Brockton Area Transit in suburban Boston as well as three exHouston Neoplan artics. Some buses are used for parts, as far as the #1540 goes I dont know at this point what will be done with the bus. Hopefully the bus wont be used for parts. The interior has a few seats left but half the seating is gone. Judging by the amount of dust and dirt inside it sat for a good while. Im going to shoot a couple more pics tomorrow to post here. The blue Orion in view is an ex-Pace suburban bus. I couldnt believe it when I saw it today! Colonial Coach Lines is a charter and a Pace contract transit operator based just NW of OHare airport. Pace provides us a fleet of 28 buses operating over six routes. NABI 35ft. LFW and 35/40ft. Orion I buses. I really enjoy it!, I know this is just wishful thinking but I wish the Gillig would be turned into a Pace bus. :)

I'll definitely try to stop by for a tour of your yard next time me or me and my family are in town. Probably not until at least next year with how stuff is going. That would be nice if they put that bus into Pace service :) I wonder if they'll get any of the 2200/2300's once MT starts selling those off? (if they aren't too trashed from vandals :( ) BTW I assume the seating left is the standard issue green vinyl transit style? I couldn't tell but it looked like #1974 from the Cannon Falls lot might have had green plastic :unsure: I also remember a 1990 Gillig for sale on EBAY not too long ago. There is a NF D30LF up now from somewhere else BTW

The new 7140-series hybrids from Nicollet Garage are now running on routes 2, 21, and 53, in addition to routes 17 and 18. I think that the Hybrids are also on the 6.

Nice to see them spread out a bit. I got an old disposable camera and I might try to grab a couple pics of a bus somewhere. I still got to buy a digital camera though. I'm thinking a Kodak since thats what people I know use and they like theirs. BTW I have noticed some repaints starting to show in the lineup outside South Garage. Still haven't seen any more new #'s though.

I'll definitely try to stop by for a tour of your yard next time me or me and my family are in town. Probably not until at least next year with how stuff is going. That would be nice if they put that bus into Pace service :) I wonder if they'll get any of the 2200/2300's once MT starts selling those off? (if they aren't too trashed from vandals :( ) BTW I assume the seating left is the standard issue green vinyl transit style? I couldn't tell but it looked like #1974 from the Cannon Falls lot might have had green plastic :unsure: I also remember a 1990 Gillig for sale on EBAY not too long ago. There is a NF D30LF up now from somewhere else BTW

Nice to see them spread out a bit. I got an old disposable camera and I might try to grab a couple pics of a bus somewhere. I still got to buy a digital camera though. I'm thinking a Kodak since thats what people I know use and they like theirs. BTW I have noticed some repaints starting to show in the lineup outside South Garage. Still haven't seen any more new #'s though.

Ill look a bit closer at the bus tomorrow and find out some more info on it.

Ill look a bit closer at the bus tomorrow and find out some more info on it.

Thanks :) Sorry I got carried away with the questions last night :D I just am curious how it was riding some of the older Gillig Phants since I was never able to.

Have a nice day and have fun at work.

Thanks :) Sorry I got carried away with the questions last night :D I just am curious how it was riding some of the older Gillig Phants since I was never able to.

Have a nice day and have fun at work.

No problem, dont worry, ask away! :) Believe me I was just as excited when I got a glimpse of that bus, I knew right away what system it came from. Thats what were on this website for!. Heres a few more pics I took this morning of #1540. I did some poking around and found out that the bus will be parted out. I climbed into one of the adjacent buses to see if I could spot the "T" logo on top with the bus number. I always liked how Metro Transit places the number with the logo on the roof of the bus. Hopefully when I go on my trip in two weeks Ill fly over Colonial and spot it since it is on a runway path. Ive flown over Colonial in the past and I could spot the Pace bus roof numbers. Some of the retired equipment from other systems have their original fleet numbers up top as well. I went through bus #1540 thoroughly and found two Route 21 Metro Transit timetables and a couple of transfer cards.

What id love to see are Los Angeles RTSs or other California buses make their way here.

post-158-1216744987_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216745109_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216746173_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216747435_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216748107_thumb.jpg

post-158-1216748376_thumb.jpg

No problem, dont worry, ask away! :) Believe me I was just as excited when I got a glimpse of that bus, I knew right away what system it came from. Thats what were on this website for!. Heres a few more pics I took this morning of #1540. I did some poking around and found out that the bus will be parted out. I climbed into one of the adjacent buses to see if I could spot the "T" logo on top with the bus number. I always liked how Metro Transit places the number with the logo on the roof of the bus. Hopefully when I go on my trip in two weeks Ill fly over Colonial and spot it since it is on a runway path. Ive flown over Colonial in the past and I could spot the Pace bus roof numbers. Some of the retired equipment from other systems have their original fleet numbers up top as well. I went through bus #1540 thoroughly and found two Route 21 Metro Transit timetables and a couple of transfer cards.

What id love to see are Los Angeles RTSs or other California buses make their way here.

WOW. Talk about taking me back. Can't count how many times I've been on this bus (usually on the 16) back in the day. These were the first 40' lift-equipped buses that the MTC bought after the Saab Scanias...and the first Gilligs (along with the 1700s) that had the exhaust at street level vs. routed out of the roof.

Not surprising it will be parted, it's 18 years old and I'm sure that 6v92 doesn't have many more miles on it. But I must say it looks damn clean for an 18-year old bus...a testament to the maintenance crews at MTC, they kept all their buses pampered.

Wonderful find, CTA5750. Thanks a million.

....I went through bus #1540 thoroughly and found two Route 21 Metro Transit timetables and a couple of transfer cards.

Was there a date on those cards or timetables by chance? Nice pics :) Thanks for posting them. It looked like plastic seats in the rear and vinyl in the front, wonder if that was for anti vandal design or cost savings. I liked how the back seat handles were just left hanging BTW :lol: So it looked like one tag said Dekalb Coach Lines, wonder who they are?

Not surprising it will be parted, it's 18 years old and I'm sure that 6v92 doesn't have many more miles on it. But I must say it looks damn clean for an 18-year old bus...a testament to the maintenance crews at MTC, they kept all their buses pampered.

So did those buses have a Detroit Diesel then? I'm not sure if thats what 6v92 refers to. I loved the DD sound on the '85 MVTA Phants I keep bringing up :D I sort of wish MT would keep their buses running a little longer than 12 - 13 years since they seem to run well. I was on a 2300 around the arrival of the new 1100's and it was still working away. I bet another reason MT buses last well is because they aren't all on the road 24/6 like it seems to be in Chicago or other cities.

WOW. Talk about taking me back. Can't count how many times I've been on this bus (usually on the 16) back in the day. These were the first 40' lift-equipped buses that the MTC bought after the Saab Scanias...and the first Gilligs (along with the 1700s) that had the exhaust at street level vs. routed out of the roof.

Wonderful find, CTA5750. Thanks a million.

Youre very welcome!, nothing is too good for my fellow busfans! I hope you enjoyed the pictures. I hope we get more MTC Gilligs. Usually when we get a bus from another operator we get maybe two or three of them. MTC does an outstanding job of maintenance on these buses, Im certainly impressed.

Was there a date on those cards or timetables by chance? Nice pics :) Thanks for posting them. It looked like plastic seats in the rear and vinyl in the front, wonder if that was for anti vandal design or cost savings. I liked how the back seat handles were just left hanging BTW :lol: So it looked like one tag said Dekalb Coach Lines, wonder who they are?

So did those buses have a Detroit Diesel then? I'm not sure if thats what 6v92 refers to. I loved the DD sound on the '85 MVTA Phants I keep bringing up :D I sort of wish MT would keep their buses running a little longer than 12 - 13 years since they seem to run well. I was on a 2300 around the arrival of the new 1100's and it was still working away. I bet another reason MT buses last well is because they aren't all on the road 24/6 like it seems to be in Chicago or other cities.

Ill take another look at those timetables. Im back on duty tomorrow morning so Ill grab them. Ive never heard of Dekalb Coach Lines. That has to be the last place this bus was at. But I loved finding that MTC tag in it. The engine looks like a DD.

Ill take another look at those timetables. Im back on duty tomorrow morning so Ill grab them. Ive never heard of Dekalb Coach Lines. That has to be the last place this bus was at. But I loved finding that MTC tag in it. The engine looks like a DD.

Oops, My bad :lol: I looked at the picture again, its Road Trip Coach Lines in Dekalb Illinois. I'll see if anything turns up on Google perchance. I wonder if when a bus goes from place to place if each owner/operator just adds another tag, its a nice way to tell the history.

EDIT: Okay I did a Google search and all I got was Colonial's website and a few others as well. I looked them up on Better Business Bureau and found they do not have a website but it looks like they are still in Dekalb and have a satisfactory record.