Minneapolis "t" Buses....

Shoot, I forgot to mention that when I was on the 55 today I saw the old NWA buses lined up by one of their cargo centers. It was on the right going from Humphrey to Bloomington Central. There was an ex-U Blue Bird and 4 NWA buses which looked like they were put out of service. I think they were El Dorado.

The 30' NWA bus looks like a Champion Solo. They were only sold to a few operators and were found unreliable. Several Ontario transit agencies, as well as Medicine Hat, AB, and several American operators had them. link.

CTA 5750, nice find on the Gillig Phantom!

Also all routes are on the NexTrip on the Metro Transit website. All suburban, contracted, U of M, Northstar, routes have GPS installed, except routes 632 and 786.

So did those buses have a Detroit Diesel then? I'm not sure if thats what 6v92 refers to. I loved the DD sound on the '85 MVTA Phants I keep bringing up :D I sort of wish MT would keep their buses running a little longer than 12 - 13 years since they seem to run well. I was on a 2300 around the arrival of the new 1100's and it was still working away. I bet another reason MT buses last well is because they aren't all on the road 24/6 like it seems to be in Chicago or other cities.

Yeah, 1540 and the rest of its brethren had Detroit Diesel 6V92s. I thought the MT 2300s had DD50s in them? I know the 300s had DD50s in them, and I believe there was a mix of DD50 and Cummins on up into the 1000s...

Yeah, 1540 and the rest of its brethren had Detroit Diesel 6V92s. I thought the MT 2300s had DD50s in them? I know the 300s had DD50s in them, and I believe there was a mix of DD50 and Cummins on up into the 1000s...

:lol: Okay, Cool I assumed they were all Cummins now, my bad :D I'm not much of an engine expert.

Heres a Youtube Vid with an Orion I that reminds me of those old buses I like. It says it has a DDC 6V71N with Allison HT-748. I just really like the sound.

Hers another Youtube Vid with a 6V92TA, now I hear the differences :)

Shoot, I forgot to mention that when I was on the 55 today I saw the old NWA buses lined up by one of their cargo centers. It was on the right going from Humphrey to Bloomington Central. There was an ex-U Blue Bird and 4 NWA buses which looked like they were put out of service. I think they were El Dorado.

I was in Minneapolis on Sept 11, 2001. My wife and I were awaken by the tragic events of that day. After eating breakfast at nearby Denny's along 494 we made our way towards MOA and as we headed down 24th ave S, I was recording with my video camera and I captured one of the NW Airlines GMC fishbowl shuttle buses. After we saw that MOA was closed we headed for the freeway for the trip back to Chicago. Only the day before I was filming the Metro Transit buses parked outside at South Garage and I watch the video now and how eerie it is to see the jets taking off from MSP airport, the "Sept. 10, 2001" caption from my video camera and filming the MTC buses arriving after their morning runs. I still watch it today but how it still sends chills down my spine of what was to happen exactly 23 hours later. Ive done four trips to Minneapolis since 1999 and Ive captured quite a bit of Metro Transit on film, I never get tired of watching it.

I was in Minneapolis on Sept 11, 2001. My wife and I were awaken by the tragic events of that day. After eating breakfast at nearby Denny's along 494 we made our way towards MOA and as we headed down 24th ave S, I was recording with my video camera and I captured one of the NW Airlines GMC fishbowl shuttle buses. After we saw that MOA was closed we headed for the freeway for the trip back to Chicago. Only the day before I was filming the Metro Transit buses parked outside at South Garage and I watch the video now and how eerie it is to see the jets taking off from MSP airport, the "Sept. 10, 2001" caption from my video camera and filming the MTC buses arriving after their morning runs. I still watch it today but how it still sends chills down my spine of what was to happen exactly 23 hours later. Ive done four trips to Minneapolis since 1999 and Ive captured quite a bit of Metro Transit on film, I never get tired of watching it.

Wow, I remember coming into the living room and seeing it on the TV just about as it happened. I remember a pilot from our church had to stay where he was since the planes couldn't fly. It affected us all regardless of how involved we were :mellow: Then to find out later that one of the would be terrorists trained about 4 miles away... Thank God there hasn't been another major attack here since and my sympathy to those victims of the london bombings as well.

:lol: Okay, Cool I assumed they were all Cummins now, my bad :D I'm not much of an engine expert.

Heres a Youtube Vid with an Orion I that reminds me of those old buses I like. It says it has a DDC 6V71N with Allison HT-748. I just really like the sound.

Hers another Youtube Vid with a 6V92TA, now I hear the differences :)

If you want to hear another good video on YouTube of the Orions with a 6V92, type in "Pace 2309"theres about a good six minutes of sound bytes.

More updates :) :

- link for Metro Transit to send 2 Phantom's to Anoka County because their Blue Bird's broke down, and 2 Phantoms to MVTA for a new bus route in Rosemount.

- link for Metro Transit to purchase 11 more D60LFR's for Route 250 (Blaine-95th Ave P&R) and 375 (Woodbury/Lk. Elmo P&R) service.

Updates:

-MT Gillig Phantom #840 is repainted.

-#4127 (MVTA Blue Bird LTC-37) spotted on route 464, SB 4:33 pm trip.

-MT Gillig Phantom #2344 was in service on Route 5.

-Hybrids are also on route 23-38th Street.

I'll add 840 to the list when I get back later just in case I see any other #'s. I see the "other" Blue Birds sometimes on 77 heading towards Bloomington in the afternoon. I guess they are heading to Minneapolis then.

More updates :) :

- link for Metro Transit to send 2 Phantom's to Anoka County because their Blue Bird's broke down, and 2 Phantoms to MVTA for a new bus route in Rosemount.

- link for Metro Transit to purchase 11 more D60LFR's for Route 250 (Blaine-95th Ave P&R) and 375 (Woodbury/Lk. Elmo P&R) service.

More NF's?! alright :) I want to ride an MT bus when they bring them in for that demonstration route (if possible). I wonder what type of route that will be? One note though, I didn't see the notice specifically specify a Gillig Phantom so I suppose theres a small chance of them trading a couple of the '98 low floor Gilligs. Still a brief return of Phantoms to the MVTA fleet would be cool.

Rode 17C and got 7156 and 7158 on the way back. They were pretty nice for riding but the ride on a New Flyer is definitely a bit smoother. The Gilligs are quieter inside though. It will be interesting to see what they do with the 4 buses that go to MVTA and Anoka County, as far as if they repaint them or just leave the blue stripes on. Also I have noticed the '98's have the metal frame seats with what is becoming some very threadbare inserts on some. I wonder if they will reupholster them at all?

The 98's were supposed to get new seats last summer. I'll have to dig up the article.

Here is my speculation on the Rosemount/MVTA Gilligs, they will be used for a park and ride express. In the MVTA July board agenda listed is 'Agreement with Rosemount Theatre'. This may mark a return of direct Rosemount-Minneapolis service that was eliminated in 1998/1999, unless it goes to Saint Paul (I doubt this though).

I have seen a few 98's with what appeared to be fresh inserts. They had blue with the red "t" instead of the older blue pattern stuff. Also you were right about it being express service, I looked around and in the June summary was this,

The MVTA has received a commitment from the Met Council for vehicles to operate the demonstration service, and sites are being reviewed for a location from which express service will begin. Express service is set to start in September 2008.
Still don't know which city it would go to but I would assume Minneapolis as well. if they do go to St. Paul though it will be interesting to see what the route looks like. I wonder if they will have to use the Met Council provided buses or if they can use their newer buses and trade them with a local route.

The Express will start on the next schedule change, September 8th. MVTA also has a schedule redesign set sometime soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new schedules. I gave them some suggestions on what to do with them, be interesting to see what they've come up with.

Update: One of SW Transit's Optima Trolley's is number 103.

I didn't know they had Optima "Trolleys". Is that for a shopping route or something?

The Optima trolleys are probably used on 603 (EP Circulator), 632 (Tuesday shopping bus), and maybe 636 (EP-Chaska local). I haven't been there in a while but 631 used to have trolleys, but now it uses the freeway and I have seen BRT's, D40LFR's, and minibuses.

Here is the article about the seats, from the February 2007 Takeout newsletter:

METRO TRANSIT TAKEOUT NEWSLETTER

FEBRUARY 2007

Hop on and sink in!

Look for new cushier seats

After a long day at work, commuters can appreciate the comfort of a padded seat on Metro Transit's buses.

By the end of summer, customers will experience better backside comfort on more than 180 buses that until now had seats with thin padding or no padding at all.

When the original seats were purchased the focus was on protecting them against vandalism - the seats were functional but not very well cushioned. Thanks to advances in upholstery, Metro Transit can now install seats that are just as durable without sacrificing comfort.

The buses will have their seats replaced with reupholstered ones featuring a 1-inch cushion on the seat and a 5/8-inch cushion on the seat back. Some buses have already had seats replaced.

Hop on and enjoy the more comfortable seats!

While out today I saw:

• Laker Lines #4515 MCI of some type, I assume D4500
  • SouthWest MT #768 D4500
  • Maple Grove Transit #MG10 Gillig Phantom on the 781, I think the sign flashed "Trip 11" but I'm not sure.
  • 345 was on 22B (I think) and I saw two other 300's as well.
  • Rode 3242 which was filled Chicago style on the 50 at about 4pm.
  • Saw a MegaBus double decker a block ahead while on the 470D heading back to Eagan.

Also went for the first time to the Gateway ramp, that is awesome in there at rush hour :)

just found this: MVTA celebrates milestone We may just get some artics yet!

-The Laker Lines D4500, if it has frameless windows, is a D4500 CT.

-Here is what I have for SW Transit (over the last month and a half):

Phantom- 400, 402

Gillig BRT - 609, 613, 614, 617

NFI D40LFR - 604

D4500 - 307, 352, 356, 544, 546, 547, 548, 588, 590, 591, 762, 767, 768

Trolley - 103

- All of the Maple Grove Transit signs have 'Trip x' for some reason. They corrilate with the trip numbers in the schedule.

I also saw 2344 on route 5 a couple days ago at the MOA.

Gateway is pretty cool, except most SW buses don't go in there anymore :(. I want to see the Smith Ave Ramp in Saint Paul.

Detours have already started for SW Transit in downtown, and MVTA is supposed to move all of its routes to 3rd Ave.