Minneapolis "t" Buses....

I drew up a plan for a crosstown route from Burnsville to IGH once, including a limited stop version.

An older plan of mine was for my proposed regional express routes 941 and 942. 941/942 would travel from Plymouth Road TC to Eden Prairie (SWS/EP Ctr) via Hopkins, 941 would make limited stops along 494, while 942 would stop at Southbridge then make limited stops on Hwy. 13 to Yankee Doodle. The routes would meet up at 494/Robert St. and then continue on 494 to Woodbury or Cottage Grove (or even Sun Ray via Woodbury). There would be a 943 and 944 that would be north metro crosstown expresses from Plym. Rd. TC to Woodbury/SunRay/Cottage Grove.

I wish this would actually happen, but I doubt it.

I would also implement a regional express system modeled after Sound Transit in the Seattle area.

^ I think some sort of regional express service would be great :) I like your idea for limited stop routes from one end of the metro to the other. I would certainly use a route going from 494/Robert to Woodbury. I always thought it would be cool to have a circular route that would go around the entire metro area to connect the spokes of the system. I think since its about 60 -70 miles around though it would have to be high-speed rail or something fancy. Of course I suppose it could be brought in closer to the hubs as well.

BTW I wonder if one of the wrapped MVTA Gilligs will be 4340? Assuming it would need a fresh stripe on the front anyways it would make sense to wrap it instead of removing stripes on another (if its back now...)

Metro Transit is auctioning some of their 1992 Gilligs and 1994 New Flyer D60's off:

https://www.transportmax.com/publicAuctionList.do

I wondered how they did that, nice :) I hope they can get more than $100 a piece though, you could probably get $300 at least going to the scrap yard. Have to see if any show up on the Cannon Falls lot. Now if I had a safe spot to park it, the license to drive one and the money to maintain and insure one a NF D60HF would be tempting...

If I'm reading the PDFs correctly, those buses did State Fair duty last year?

Yep, I remember seeing a couple of the D60HF's there. One had all the striping removed so all that was left was the T symbol. TC probably knows more about them being in service than me. I'm sort of surprised that the mileage on some seems to be 300,000 - 400,000 and not higher.

Going past South Garage today I noticed two Gillig Low Floors sitting outside with no stripe on them. (At least it looked like no stripe going by at 65 mph on 494 :D ) I wonder if they are getting the new scheme, are being transfered to MVTA or someone else, or are getting wrapped? Also saw 7158 on the 4.

One of my classes was cancelled so I went to the U and got some pics :)

post-367-1221519778_thumb.jpgpost-367-1221519811_thumb.jpgpost-367-1221519833_thumb.jpg

post-367-1221519868_thumb.jpgpost-367-1221519894_thumb.jpgpost-367-1221519933_thumb.jpg

post-367-1221519960_thumb.jpgpost-367-1221519990_thumb.jpgpost-367-1221520010_thumb.jpg

post-367-1221520030_thumb.jpgpost-367-1221520064_thumb.jpgpost-367-1221520090_thumb.jpg

The two MVTA New Flyers wrapped for Cedar are 4610 and 4622. I did not see any wrapped Gilligs or ex MT Gilligs. 479 was being served by 4577. Also I don't know what you have already in your list TC, but I saw SW Phantom 400 and D40LFR 603. The 16 is now artic turf and its still packed :lol:

Here is a link to the newest Transportation meeting agenda. Some items of interest are proposed Northstar fares and raising the fare of Route 288 from $2.75 to $4.75. There is also an item that discusses cutaway purchases as well as buying Gilligs to replace Plymouth's Blue Birds.

http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn.us/Tr...92208agenda.htm

I'm not suprised about the 16. They didn't increase capacity <_<. 6 artics are the same as 8 40 footers. I went over some of the other service changes, Route 17 has more trips now during rush hour. Also 146 has some reverse commute trips from Edina to 50th/Bryant.

I am starting to not like the hybrids (especially on the 18!). They have narrow aisles and people crowd around the back door. Also the 2007 hybrids were rejected by Rochester, NY so I wonder if those are part of the 314 buses ordered. It seems as a lot of the options will be used (up to 300 buses) so maybe they are hoping to increase service in the coming years?

Thanks for the link :) Increased service on 17 sounds good. I haven't been on a hybrid on the 18 in a while but they do seem a bad fit for that route. IMO 18 would be an interesting route to try double deckers on.

I have no idea if the RGRTA Advantages could be part of the MT order or not. If the original 19 hybrids were built for RGRTA it would explain the uncomfortable vandal resistant seats. Here are two links link 1 link 2 (note the driver's shield on link 2's video) from when they were introducing them last year. I was in town at the time since we were visiting relatives. I didn't get to see any though, just an NABI 40 ft LFW, a NF D40LF and a few regular Gillig Advantages. I thought I saw a MCI/Nova Classic but it might have been the back of an Orion V... A little O.T. but I did see a NFTA Classic on a bridge in Buffalo and a couple Centro NF D30LF's and an orion V in Liverpool/Syracuse by Heid's. BTW where did you find out about the hybrids being rejected? I don't keep track of RGRTA happenings too much, is there an upstate NY transit fan forum or something?

The high-floor market is slimming :(. Orion V is supposed to be taken off of the market in 2010, and NABI 416/436 would probably be gone if not for the NJ Transit order. Millenium went into bankrupcy. Well at least the MCI's are high floors :lol:.

Yep :) At least the Chapter 11 stuff with MCI ( link ) doesn't appear to be shutting them down. The way things are going I think in twenty years the only high floors will be school buses and highway coaches. I still think it would be nice if MT could get a batch of Orion V's for some of the routes that need a few extra seats though. BTW would you happen to know how the NJT 416's are doing? You mentioned them before, I just wonder if they are junk or if NABI is getting better.

EDIT: MVTA newsletter

NJT has only got the demo right now. The first buses should arrive next month. They also ordered some Compobuses for the Northern routes.

Cool B) I do like the look of the Compobus, I hope I can ride one someday.

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=116974

Minneapolis bus photos from "'rion 5"

Those are some nice pictures :) They look professional. BTW I see 4577 is still working 479 :D So have you seen any new BRT deliveries lately? College is keeping me busy so I haven't had time to go scouting lately.

I haven't had time too look, but last week I went out and there wasn't much to report. The 300's and 2300's seem to be disappearing, but it was a sunday so they probably were not out. Did you see the new MVTA Board meeting packet? Sunday 441 and Saturday 446 might come in March 2009!

:lol: I was actually going to email them to suggest a 470U. Nice to see they already got it in the works. That may come in handy as well as Saturday 446 if they have the funding of course. As I thought it looks like the MT buses are two Gillig LF's, I'm guessing the two I saw before outside south garage. BTW I know they have DD since I remember seeing one parked in Detroit Diesel's lot by MOA a while ago. Thanks for the heads up on that :) I have been looking for Board Update newsletters but they haven't had any added since March. So it looks like 40 ft's for BRT, since they need an RFP on those IIRC it will be interesting to see who they come from. I like seeing all the amounts needed for individual services too. Some of those really don't seem as expensive as I thought they would be.

Random Updates:

Due to overcrowding on Route 860 (Northtown-Mounds View-St. Paul) another trip has been added:

http://www.metrotransit.org/serviceInfo/860RA.htm

Fares increased on October 1st, Route 288 (Forest Lake-Minneapolis) fares went from $2.75 to $4.75:

http://www.metrotransit.org/serviceInfo/ri...sp?alert_id=284

Plymouth Metrolink Dial-A-Ride Fares increase to $3:

http://www2.ci.plymouth.mn.us/pls/cop/docs...308_REVISED.HTM

SouthWest Transit schedules change October 6th. Less trips travel to the U of M and new Route 695 runs direct to the U of M from the Hwy. 212 Park and Ride lots.

http://www.swtransit.org/New_Express_Schedules.html

Maple Grove is adding 1 trip each way on 782 and 783 because the Maple Grove Transit Station ramp is full and route 781 buses are full. MGT is also considering U of M service.

http://www.ci.maple-grove.mn.us/filestorag...6/ramp_full.pdf

Route 490 Blue Express has a new schedule dated 10/1/08. I beileve that the only changes were to the fare table.

The downtown detours will be suspended in December and brought back in the spring.

The new Cedar BRT presentation slides are up, not much new info:

http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/EnvironmentRoad...edarUpdates.htm

Not much news that matters <_< :lol:

I guess we are not the only ones opposed to the 75 cent fare increase.

Also, not much going on at Inver Hills bus-wise. Older Phants and the occasional lower # BRT. Inver Hills did get a new bus shelter though. It looks used however since its dinged and scuffed around the edges and has anti graffiti stripes on the glass.

BTW I saw a cutaway on the last 489 run from Thomson-Reuters a couple days ago.

I have not seen any 436 buses too recently but I know the one morning 445 driver said he comes to Thomson on a 436 run, so there was a Bluebird in the morning for it. I haven't seen him since the Drivers were shuffled along with the schedule change so I don't know if he still is on that run or not. In the afternoon I have seen an MCI once in a while, and I think recently its just been D40LF's for the earlier 489 runs and 436 runs. I was surprised to see a cutaway on the 489 though since in the past 489 seemed to have a good crowd. I'll try to look for them this week and see if I can get a more accurate update. I did see a D40LF on an earlier 489 run yesterday BTW.

Rode 1120 today, that was a lousy ride. It is already shaking bad and the brakes shrieked so loud the passengers waiting at the stops were covering their ears :lol: 4340 is back, I got a lousy shot of it. I also got a few other pics as well.

post-367-1223507179_thumb.jpgpost-367-1223507202_thumb.jpgpost-367-1223507220_thumb.jpg

post-367-1223507238_thumb.jpgpost-367-1223507255_thumb.jpg

BTW TC, do you know who runs those 30 or 35 ft Gillig Phantoms that are white? I saw one on 94 and another in Minneapolis downtown. I know St. Thomas by the Mpls. Greyhound has one thats wrapped, #534 IIRC.

I don't know what to think of Gillig, I've ridden some which are awful, like today, and others which were pretty nice, like some of the MVTA ones and RCL's. I'm really going to miss the Phantoms once they are replaced with low floors.

EDIT: I wonder what the chances are of getting NF Excel's for Cedar? Also 489P was being served by a cutaway yesterday afternoon and the 1pm trip on 446 had one today as well. It was a little crowded though after Brown College since there were 14 others on board.

Im not very happy with the fair increase, Thats expensive for me and I go through bus cards faster. some of the new diesel buses Have loud brakes and dont drive very smooth. several of the 400 buses ive Have rode drive better then some of the 1100 buses they got recently. the hybrids however drive pretty smooth what i find interesting is that the hybrids they got last year have a different seat design and frame then the ones they got this year