Minneapolis "t" Buses....

I was on a 1998 D60 on the 50 yesterday, it had new padding on the seats. They had the old metal seat frames, but the padding is the same as on the BRT's. I guess MT doesn't care what routes they put the '98 D60's on because they will be gone soon.

Hey, I was on a 2008 D60LFR on the 16 yesterday! What's interesting is only the 98' ones have urban transit style seats, the rest all have the commuter seats. So I assume when MT ordered those they were originally intended for routes like the 5 and 16 instead of nonstop expresss service runs. I hope the 98s will be kept in service till 2010 since they certainly seem to run well. It will also be interesting to see if future orders of artics come with those American "insight" seats instead of the high back commuter ones.

Here is the Rider Alert and Schedule for the new 4 Shuttle that runs between 77th St/2nd Ave to 82nd St. Transit Center. It runs on Weekdays and Sundays, but on Saturdays the 4 goes all the way to 82nd St. This shuttle is in place because the Lyndale bridge over 494 was torn down so now they have to use Nicollet. This bus will always be empty! Here is the link:

http://metrotransit.org/serviceInfo/riderA...sp?alert_id=303

http://metrotransit.org/images/route4shuttle.pdf

So I assume it will be MT operating it, I wonder if it will be plain old 40 fts?

Also the last time I was at MOA I noticed 9902 had its sign frozen on [445B Eagan] I also noticed since it was snowing at the time the destination signs on the BRT Gilligs seem to turn white pretty quick :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well did a little fanning today, rode the BEline with those 29ft Gilligs (Ugh ^_^ ) and SWMT Phantom 409 on 631, which was pretty empty. Also stopped by the U which is now total Van Hool terf with the exception of the lone Gillig Hybrid and a couple repainted cutaways. Only news to report is word is the new 35ft Gilligs should come in the spring now, they will have rear doors but still the standard high back seats :) I also noticed some scratching in the rear of 4344 last week, someone scratched "yogurt" in the window :rolleyes: hopefully "applesauce" and "pudding" won't find out :lol:

post-367-1232503117_thumb.jpg

I rode the AG300 artics and the A300L's at the U finally. I love the giant windows.

Rt. 479 is getting a new routing: http://www.mvta.com/Route_479_buses_will_f...nday_Feb_2.html

Those windows are nice, I think its funny to see how all the forward facing seats are taken first though :lol: Also did you see the story on 4 about the fact there will only be 3500+/- parking spaces for the new 50,000 seat Gopher Stadium so they are recommending people take advantage of the shuttles? Those are going to be packed! I was on the 121 trying to get more video last week but it didn't come out too well :( I'll try again later once the shuttles aren't so crowded.

In the new MVTA Board packet they mention that the system map will be redesigned like the schedules were, and that the minibuses will get side destination signs because ADA laws require all buses with front signs to have side signs. Also Dakota County hasn't put the new Cedar slides up yet.

^Looks like a 35ft to me, I wonder how well they will work up there since it seems to get colder up there being on the lake and all.

Well I haven't put any pictures up for a little while so here are a couple from yesterday:

post-367-1233431416_thumb.jpgpost-367-1233431465_thumb.jpg

and some video I recently uploaded as well:

2007 Gillig Hybrid drive by

2007 Gillig Hybrid ride on route 17

2004 New Flyer D40LF ride on route 446

2003 New Flyer D60HF ride on route 3B

Nice!

I found out what MTC bus routes were in the MVTA area in 1988. Here they are:

Minneapolis Routes

35K Express: Mpls-Burnsville-Eagan-Cedarvale

35M Express: Mpls-Burnsville-Nicollet Ave-Burnsville Center

35N Express: Mpls-Savage-Prior Lake

39 Express: VA Hospital-Airport-Control Data-Burnsville-Apple Valley

57 Express: Mpls-MN Zoo-Apple Valley

77AC Express: Mpls-Apple Valley

77EG Express: Mpls-Cedarvale-Eagan

Saint Paul Routes

19 Local: Snelling (from University)-Eagan Industrial Area-Blue Cross/Blue Shield

46 Express: St. Paul-Robert-Hwy. 110-Hwy. 149-Hwy. 3-Rosemount-Apple Valley

48 Express: St. Paul-Apple Valley via 35E

72 Express: St. Paul-Eagan-Burnsville

^ Awesome, Thanks :) That explains the red T signs along 445 too. I also remember seeing a T park-n-ride sign by Cedarvale where the shelter used to be. Its probably gone now though. BTW I saw a 40ft New Flyer BRT at D.D. on Friday. The lot was too busy to get any pictures though and it was gone when I went back yesterday. I don't know which system it was for since it had no markings/logos. It was red around the top with silver on the lower part of the back and orange on the lower sides. I wonder if it was a demonstrator actually?

It was a New Flyer BRT? The Orange/Silver BRT bus was changed to a light blue bus with frameless windows. http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=New_F...ustries_DE40LFA. There are some on order for Washington, DC though.

EDIT: It could be a Washington DC bus, their new NABI-60BRT's have an orange and silver paint scheme: http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Image...rity_5403-a.jpg

That might be it, I had my camera with me and I would have grabbed a photo but there were a couple tow trucks unloading and a Minnesota Coaches MCI being parked next to it and a forklift was dropping some stuff into the dumpster nearby as well so I didn't think it would be to smart to stand there snapin' photos like I was from another planet :lol:

It appears Rosemount isn't happy with the service they are getting from MVTA

Pioneer Press story, Star Tribune story

IMO now that i've thought about it a bit they should start the route at the 157th St. Station then go to Rosemount Community Center, then head down route 3 to 149, possibly stop at Thomson Reuters (speculating I think there are quite a few employees there that live in Rosemount anyways), then straight to Minneapolis via hwy. 55 to 494 and follow 470 routing. Maybe its full of flaws but its a thought :D

EDIT: Never mind, it would be way too slow for express :blink:

Hello, 1st time poster on this forum, although I post on others.

MVTArider, have you heard any updated info. if the Minn. DOT awarded that 100 bus contract?

No, actually I didn't even know there was a 100 bus contract. I have been checking the State of MN goods and services solicitations page for a while and have not seen anything come up. (Maybe I missed it?) I guess it was posted elsewhere then. Where did you find out about it anyways? The only info. I have is what you told me :lol: As can be deducted from this thread the Met Council has been awarding bus contracts for Metro Transit and regional providers. They seem to work separately from MNdot though.

There is also the possibility that since the state is broke and the governor, who IMO would rather throw away all transit service and force everyone to drive little green hybrid cars that run on ethanol, is in charge then MNdot might be waiting on the contract a little to make sure they can still afford it.

Welcome aboard BTW

EDIT: After further research I found an RFP for 100 buses posted in an APTA ad back in October. It looks like 80 of the 100 buses would be cutaways and then 20 would be medium duty buses, which according to State of MN definitions (p. 9-5) could be either jumbo cutaways or possibly buses like Bluebird and El-Dorado now as well.

Regardless, I still don't know what became of that contract :D

^ Good, sorry I didn't have info. before. I thought it hadn't been issued yet so thats why I didn't look back for it. Yeah I would assume ElDorado, Glaval or maybe Startrans got it. That type of contract would also certainly make more sense for MN as there really isn't too great a need for heavy duty transit buses at this time.

It looks like Bluexpress will get 3+ reverse commute trips this fall funded by a JARC grant, they will also get a bus ramp from the Southbridge Crossings P&R to Hwy. 18 NB, and construction will start this year on Eagle Creek Transit Station (a 555 space P&R w/ a bus shelter) at CR 16 and the yet to be built CR 21. I wonder if it will be used well as that area is all farmland. Here is the link:

http://www.bluexpressbus.com/documents/year-end.pdf

I also saw a repainted Metro Mobility vehicle awhile ago. It had the new stripe in the middle (like the repainted Phantoms), but did not have the T logo and it said MetroMobility.org instead of metrotransit.org.

Metro Transit is now serving Earle Brown Dr. on Route 722 starting March 7th.

http://metrotransit.org/news/releases/release02_13_09.asp

Lorenz bid on the new contract for North Metro routes but some of the routes will be moved to MT to address overcrowding, here is the link:

http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn.us/Tr...223_2009_66.pdf