Minneapolis "t" Buses....

^Nice pics and video :)

Notice to Bidders for heavy duty buses recently posted in the Passenger Transport Classifieds. Specifications are for 35 foot and 40 foot low floor heavy duty buses for Duluth Transit Authority, Minnesota Valley Transit Authority and the City of Rochester. A few interesting things I noticed were:

• MVTA is still requesting the 40 foot ones without rear doors.
  • Rochester is requesting American Seating Insight seats, something different than what they have now.
  • Rochester is also requesting the "manual fareboxes w/ denominators and wiring for future Odyssey".
  • Duluth requires two rear license plate holders for the MN and WI plates. (I didn't know they needed cheeseland plates too.)

We know who will most likely get this one, but still I got to say, come on New Flyer and Orion! :D Too bad NovaBus doesn't make a 35 foot LFS.

Duluth requires two rear license plate holders for the MN and WI plates. (I didn't know they needed cheeseland plates too.)

Duluth has routes that go to Superior. Route 16 · 17 Superior Wisconsin I know in Wisconsin city vehicles including buses need license plates but MN does not require them.

Also, I am native cheese-head and proud of it. From time to time I have a need to go to Wisconsin to get some fresh Wisconsin air. HEHEHE

^Yeah, I was just surprised they needed plates for each state, I thought just having MN plates would work. I wonder if they could get Packers Plates for the WI ones and Vikings plates for the MN ones :P

Sometimes MN air just isn't gouda 'nough huh ;)

^^I have yet to be on an Orion VII/NG but they look nice IMO. BTW I was on the 444 yesterday and with the bumps on Burnsville Parkway I sure liked the 40 ft. New Flyer's ride better than the 40 ft. Gillig's. I'm finding though that I like riding the 35 foot Gilligs and the 35 foot New Flyers equally since the Gilligs have more legroom and better acceleration, but the NFs have a smoother ride and no annoying window squeak.

^Yeah, I was just surprised they needed plates for each state, I thought just having MN plates would work. I wonder if they could get Packers Plates for the WI ones and Vikings plates for the MN ones
I emailed DTA and asked why 2 plates.

Reply:

The simple answer.

The DTA operates buses in both MN and WI. Under public utility rules in WI it is a requirement to have the WI plate. The vehicles are owned by the DTA which is a MN entity and therefore MN also requires the plate

But Metro Transit does not have plates on buses or vehicles. Do MVTA?

I have yet to be on an Orion VII/NG but they look nice IMO. BTW I was on the 444 yesterday and with the bumps on Burnsville Parkway I sure liked the 40 ft. New Flyer's ride better than the 40 ft. Gillig's. I'm finding though that I like riding the 35 foot Gilligs and the 35 foot New Flyers equally since the Gilligs have more legroom and better acceleration, but the NFs have a smoother ride and no annoying window squeak.

I guess I have to ride a New Flyer. I do like the New Flyer Artics. By the way, there are 3 more 2009 New Flyer Artics at East Metro. They are not in service yet.

Sometimes MN air just isn't gouda 'nough huh

Going to Wisconsin this weekend to get some Wisconsin air. I plan to visit Madison Metro and La Crosse MTU

MVTA does not have license plates either. Perhaps bus systems in the metro area are exempt?

Are any of the 2009 D60LFR's in service yet, Bus Driver Dude?

Also I saw the other MVTA ex-Metro Transit 1998 Gillig LF. It was #4495 and it was deadheading northbound on 35W during the PM rush. I guess they added 4000 to the old number.

I have no idea what is going on with New Flyer's hybrid buses right now but after seeing about 30 something SEPTA buses at Interstate/Detroit Diesel over the past month there was finally something in addition to the SEPTA hybrids so I took some more pics:

post-367-1245611775_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611804_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611827_thumb.jpg

post-367-1245611847_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611880_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611909_thumb.jpg

post-367-1245611946_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611970_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611997_thumb.jpg

post-367-1245612017_thumb.jpg I have no idea where the white and green w/blue front DE60LFA is going, maybe Canada since it had the high backed cushions for wheelchairs? The red/gold/white DE60LFR is an ABQ Ride Rapid Ride one I believe, then the usual SEPTA DE41LFs and a 2008 U of M Van Hool too.

I bet it isn't a requirement in the metro to have plates, I also noticed the St. Cloud MTC buses didn't seem to have them either. :unsure:

I still haven't seen a ex-MT Gillig :lol: Thanks for the report. I also was unable to make it to the MVTA bus Roadeo since there was an important project at home to finish, maybe next year.

I have no idea what is going on with New Flyer's hybrid buses right now but after seeing about 30 something SEPTA buses at Interstate/Detroit Diesel over the past month there was finally something in addition to the SEPTA hybrids so I took some more pics:

post-367-1245611775_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611804_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611827_thumb.jpg

post-367-1245611847_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611880_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611909_thumb.jpg

post-367-1245611946_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611970_thumb.jpg post-367-1245611997_thumb.jpg

post-367-1245612017_thumb.jpg I have no idea where the white and green w/blue front DE60LFA is going, maybe Canada since it had the high backed cushions for wheelchairs? The red/gold/white DE60LFR is an ABQ Ride Rapid Ride one I believe, then the usual SEPTA DE41LFs and a 2008 U of M Van Hool too.

That Green/White/Blue DE60LFA is for Community Transit in Washington State.

DE60LFA is going to Community Transit in Lynnwood Washington. The D60LFR is going to ABQ.

Great finds!

James Roach

MetroLINK 9013

Are any of the 2009 D60LFR's in service yet, Bus Driver Dude?

Well on Friday they were still parked on the wall in the garage. No sign of the MCI. I hope they come in this week. I might miss them after this week. I may be going to a different garage. I will know later this week.

Nice Pictures of the buses at Interstate/Detroit Diesel. I have to get over there and check it out.

Plans changes so I was not able to make it to La Crosse, Wi but had a good time in Madison.

Thanks for the comments. I was wondering if that DE60LFA was going to Pierce transit but it seemed like they wouldv'e had yellow on it if that was the case.

Here is a slideshow of the pictures: 2009 New Flyers

and ride video of MVTA 4460 on the 444: parts 1 & 2

It appears that while both the ABQ and Community Transit ones have the restyled front, only the Community Transit one has an integral roofline covering the rooftop equipment. Another option? Or BRT vs. restyled?

It appears that while both the ABQ and Community Transit ones have the restyled front, only the Community Transit one has an integral roofline covering the rooftop equipment. Another option? Or BRT vs. restyled?

ABQ RIDE - NFI D60LFR (restyled)

Community Transit - NFI D60LFA (BRT)

Happy Birthday Hiawatha LRT

Hiawatha LRT will be 5 years old on June 26. Hiawatha LRT has operated safely and reliably over the past five years, serving 42.9 million customers from opening day in 2004 through May this year. Average weekday ridership on Hiawatha last year was 30,500. That's 20 percent higher than the expected ridership in the year 2020.

Go to the link above and see You Tube video of the first day.

Nice pictures, maybe now you might get to drive a New Flyer D40LF. So is this three garages you have been assigned to now?
Yes, this is my 3rd garage. I started out at Heywood than I transfered to East. Now I am on my way to Ruter. I have heard some bad tales from drivers about Ruter. I just have to keep a open mind about it.

Nice pics! Good Luck at MJR. I have always wondered, does MJR operate buses on the weekends?

Yes, there are buses operating out of Ruter on weekends.

Another question Bus Driver Dude, are routes split between garages (ex: say the 6 is run by Nicollet and South)?

Yes, some of the routes are split between different garages, not all of them are. 4 is split between Heywood,South and Nicollet, 6 is South and Nicollet, 21 is east metro and nicollet, 16, heywood and nicollet and various other routes are as well.

Tcmetro: Another question Bus Driver Dude, are routes split between garages (ex: say the 6 is run by Nicollet and South)?
mplsguy08: Yes, some of the routes are split between different garages, not all of them are. 4 is split between Heywood,South and Nicollet, 6 is South and Nicollet, 21 is east metro and nicollet, 16, heywood and nicollet and various other routes are as well.

Yes, mplsguy is right. More than one garage will do a route.