Minneapolis "t" Buses....

More new pics. (sorry they aren't super sharp, haven't been able to get out on a sunny day lately.)

4055820365_3e81b43f35_t.jpg 4056508890_f0c41247d0_t.jpg 4055767623_f4e6cd03fb_t.jpg 4055762107_d34d64aa00_t.jpg

I finally saw one of the '98 Gilligs MVTA got (4495) on 460U by the U. I didn't have my camera at the time but I noticed it still has a T and 495 on the roof. From what I could see through the windows the seats are still blue as well. I've also seen a couple others still in MT service on the 114 and 542.

It is almost winter in the Twin Cities. No more sunny days.

Here is a tip I thought I would pass on for those of you who like to take pictures... Driving by I have discovered that SW Transit stores about 15-20 buses at the State Fair bus drop of lot on Como Ave between rush hours on weekdays. Last time I drove by the Inviro was included in these buses. This lot is open and would be a great photo taking opportunity!

• Upvote 1

Here is a tip I thought I would pass on for those of you who like to take pictures... Driving by I have discovered that SW Transit stores about 15-20 buses at the State Fair bus drop of lot on Como Ave between rush hours on weekdays. Last time I drove by the Inviro was included in these buses. This lot is open and would be a great photo taking opportunity!

Thanks for the tip :) I've been wondering about that since I heard SWT stores some of their buses during the day on the fairgrounds. I'll check it out sometime.

Also finally got a couple nice pictures in the sun!

BTW for anyone interested I have posted a SWT roster in the Southwest Transit set on Flickr. It's based on observations matched to the fact sheet roster. Thanks TC for helping me out with it :)

Plymouth Metrolink is buying 5 2003 Gillig 40-foot buses from Southwest Transit:

http://www2.ci.plymouth.mn.us/pls/cop/docs/FOLDER/CITY_GOV/CG_BOARDS/CG_TRANSIT/CG_TC_MINUTE/2009PACTMINUTES/PACT_9_23_09_MINUTES.HTM

Plymouth Metrolink ridership is dropping, and their Station 73 is underutilized (probably because it is so close to the 394/73 Parking Ramp):

http://www2.ci.plymouth.mn.us/pls/cop/docs/FOLDER/CITY_GOV/CG_BOARDS/CG_TRANSIT/CG_TC_MINUTE/2009PACTMINUTES/PACT_7_22_09_MINUTES.HTM

November 2009 BlueXpress Newsletter:

http://www.bluexpressbus.com/documents/XpressPress-1109.pdf

New SW Transit schedules (effective 12/14/2009) available:

http://swtransit.org/12_14_09_Schedules.html

Lakeville 181st/Cedar Park and Ride opens Nov. 16, replaces Crossroads Church Park and Ride that was in service from Sept. 28-Nov. 16.

MVTA survey available until Nov. 11th:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=ZP8P1UruFn7kbcs3wdLP7Q_3d_3d

Real-time signage to be installed at Burnsville Transit Station:

http://www2.mvta.com/Starting_November_2nd_Construction_Will_Delay_traffic_In_Out_of_the_Burnsville_Transit_Station.html

Route changes begin Nov. 16th.

-Route 888 Northstar Trains will replace bus routes 851 and 888.

-Route 889 will provide a 7:10 pm trip from 3rd Ave to Coon Rapids and Anoka stations.

-Route 811 will replace the local portion of route 851 and will connect with Northstar trains.

-Route 887 (St. Cloud Metro Bus) will provide service from Big Lake Station to Saint Cloud.

-Route 20 will connect Target Field Station to 9th and 10th Streets and will connect with Northstar trains.

-Route 824 will be diverted to serve Fridley Station. Printed Schedules will not be available until the 12/14/2009 changes.

-Route 55 (eff. Nov. 14) Light Rail trains will serve Target Field Station.

-More changes will happen at the 12/14/2009 changes.

-Route 888 schedule includes routes 20 and 889.

http://metrotransit.org/news/stories/11_09_MoreOptions.asp

http://metrotransit.org/serviceInfo/riderAlertsDetail.asp?alert_id=389

http://www.catchthelink.com/

According to this article there will be a free shuttle running along Nicollet Mall every 10 minutes during business hours instead of buses that terminate downtown being free. Metro Transit will buy 30 more hybrid buses for Nicollet Mall operations.

http://www.downtownjournal.com/index.php?currentIssue=7783&publication=downtown&action=searchArchive&searchString=Transportation&searchPubs=downtown&dateFrom=&dateTo=&order=date&numResults=All&page=65&story=14514&fromArchives=fromArchives&archivePage=272

The following are from the November 9, 2009 Transportation Committee meeting agenda.

Metro Transit's base order of 314 buses from Gillig will be changed from 164 diesel/250 hybrid to 239 diesel/75 hybrid to reflect availability of funds.

http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn.us/Transportation/2009/1109/1109_2009_399.pdf

Midwest Paratransit will operate the Hennepin County Dial-A-Ride:

http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn.us/Transportation/2009/1109/1109_2009_398.pdf

Metro Mobility is buying 7 buses and 18 sedans:

http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn.us/Transportation/2009/1109/1109_2009_396.pdf

Hiawatha LRT Operations and Maintenance facility will be expanded by 2012 to accommodate 3-car trains and Central Corridor LRV's that will arrive in 2012.

http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn.us/Transportation/2009/1109/1109_2009_392.pdf

More stuff from the 11/9/2009 agenda:

http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn.us/Transportation/2009/1109/agenda110909.htm

Transit Link Dial-A-Ride begins next year and will replace most Dial-A-Rides in the 7-county area.

Scott/Carver and Anoka Counties will begin on January 1, 2010

Hennepin County begins February 1, 2010

Washington and Ramsey Counties begins on March 1, 2010

Dakota County begins on May 1, 2010

More info here: http://www.metrocouncil.org/news/2009/news_659.htm

• Upvote 1

From MCI's Press release page at www.mcicoaach.com

SCHAUMBURG, IL — November 5, 2009 — Aiming to grow transit ridership, ease congestion and improve mobility, Metropolitan Council, which manages transit services in the Minneapolis and St. Paul area, is giving its residents touring-class comfort on long-distance commutes. The Council has taken delivery of 26 MCI Commuter Coaches. The Commuter Coach, based on the popular MCI® D-Series, offers riders plush seating with head rests, individual reading lights, personal air-flow controls, and overhead storage.

Metro Transit, a service of Metropolitan Council, is operating 19 of the new coaches on express routes that cover longer distances. Metro Transit launched its newest express-route to downtown Minneapolis September 28 as it unveiled a new Lakeville park-and-ride ramp adjacent to the freeway. State and federal government officials attended, including Minnesota's governor and the mayors of Minneapolis and several surrounding towns.

The new buses, park-and-ride facilities and transit services are funded through the Urban Partnership Agreement (UPA), a federal-state project aimed at reducing traffic congestion, as well as by a grant from the Counties Transit Improvement Board.

Metro Transit General Manager Brian Lamb said, "We not only want to offer our riders a comfortable ride, we want to give customers a consistent schedule. By riding with us, commuters can get to the city from Lakeville in 30 minutes thanks to the use of MnPASS toll lanes and bus-only shoulder lanes." The highway system that surrounds Minneapolis has bus-only shoulder lanes spanning 275 miles, the longest in the nation. "When traffic is moving less than 35 miles per hour, our new coaches are using the bus-only lanes. While other commuters are sitting one by one all alone their cars, our riders are in coaches, moving right along at up to 35 miles an hour, non-stop."

Metro Transit advertised the new service through a direct mail campaign. "We're very pleased by our ridership averages at our new Lakeville park-and-ride," added Lamb, whose agency provides nearly 90 percent of the bus and light rail service in the Minneapolis/St. Paul region. All together Metro Transit operates more than 900 transit buses. These are the first MCI Commuter Coaches for the agency that operated two leased MCI models several years ago. In 2008, customers boarded Metro buses and trains nearly 82 million times, the highest annual ridership in 27 years.

Motor Coach Industries, headquartered in Schaumburg, Illinois, is the largest manufacturer of intercity tour coaches for the tour, charter, line-haul, scheduled service, commuter transit and conversion markets in the U.S. and Canada. The company builds the industry's two best selling models and also operates seven sales centers and eight service centers in the U.S. and Canada. MCI is additionally the industry's leading supplier of aftermarket parts for most makes and models.

Press contact: Patricia Plodzeen Public Relations, 847-283-0883; or Motor Coach Industries Marketing Department, 847-285-2035.

• Upvote 1

Nothing to link to yet, but here's a quote from the News That Travels winter 2009 edition:

MVTA to Demo Double-Decker Bus in December

A new look in transit vehicles will be coming to the south metro as the MVTA places a double-decker bus in service on a three week trial. The bus, manufactured by Alexander Dennis, will be in service on a variety of MVTA routes for much of the month of December.

:)

I heard at the Cedar BRT meeting that MVTA will demo a Nova Bus in January as well.

SW Transit is demoing a Van Hool Double Decker until Wednesday.

A different one than the Alexander Dennis, I presume?

Van Hool's English website does not indicate any double decker, so I can't get any specs. However, one would still have to presume that it won't make 11 foot Chicago clearances.

Please let us know if you get any more information.

Maple Grove Transit Contract Extension

The City of Maple Grove will renew a agreement with Metro Transit to operate Maple Grove Transit. The Maple Grove service agreement covers three years for an estimated gross revenue per year of $2,758,000 for 2010, $2,813,000 for 2011 and $2,869,000 for 2012 for a total estimated gross revenue of $8,440,000.

The city of Maple Grove has contracted service with Metro Transit since January 1990. This three-year agreement with the City of Maple Grove is for the service period of January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2012. The agreement is to operate service on routes 780, 781, 782, 783, 784 and 789. The agreement includes contracted rates for 40-foot, articulated and coach buses. This will go to the Metropolitan Council Transportation Committee on Monday, November 23, 2009.

I heard at the Cedar BRT meeting that MVTA will demo a Nova Bus in January as well.

SW Transit is demoing a Van Hool Double Decker until Wednesday.

Yep, I wonder if it will be an artic or a regular 40 foot? An artic would be neat on the 442 during the mid-morning :lol: I'm surprised they still want to go with hybrids for the station to station service though. They are wondering about being able to get into the Mall of America with the d.d. and apparently SWT found they don't fit in Gateway.

A different one than the Alexander Dennis, I presume?

Van Hool's English website does not indicate any double decker, so I can't get any specs. However, one would still have to presume that it won't make 11 foot Chicago clearances.

Please let us know if you get any more information.

I'm guessing the TD925 would be it. I don't know if it's buy America compiant or not, but then AC Transit has their Van Hools so ...

Since the specs list it as 13' 1-1/16" I imagine it wouldn't fit under a few Chicago bridges. Incidentally the Alexander Dennis Enviro 500 is 14'(1) (For that matter, neither would a Gillig Hybrid.) MEGABUS does run their Van Hool double deckers to Chicago so there are ways for taller vehicles to get in and out even though they wouldn't work for many regular CTA routes.

(1)According to the Alexander Dennis spec sheet.

I'm guessing the TD925 would be it. I don't know if it's buy America compiant or not, but then AC Transit has their Van Hools so ...

Since the specs list it as 13' 1-1/16" I imagine it wouldn't fit under a few Chicago bridges. Incidentally the Alexander Dennis Enviro 500 is 14'(1) (For that matter, neither would a Gillig Hybrid.) MEGABUS does run their Van Hool double deckers to Chicago so there are ways for taller vehicles to get in and out even though they wouldn't work for many regular CTA routes.

(1)According to the Alexander Dennis spec sheet.

Thanks. I guess what mixed me up is that on the Van Hool's site, it is listed as a "coach" instead as a "transit."

As far as Megabus, it stays on the expressways (one overtook me on the Edens at about 70 mph), so low clearance basically isn't an issue (it doesn't even go under the Loop L). The 11 foot clearance issue involves local streets, and, as previously noted, prevents the DE60LFs from going under the UPN viaduct over Wilson (and presumably any L overpass north of Lawrence). At 132 inches (or 11 ft exactly) the Gillig Hybrid might have a chance.

I found the city site for Viaduct Clearances, but, as one could bet, it didn't work.

New bus stop signs have been installed on Cahill Ave. in Inver Grove Hts. between 80th St. and Concord, with additional signs added at the Cahill Walmart entrance and one in Cafferty Court. I'm not sure if these are for an extension of 68 or 71 but it looks like with the next schedule changes one or both of those routes will have trips with Cafferty Court as the new endpoint. The other possibility is MT may be adding a new limited stop route to the area. Regardless it's great to see bus service being extended along that dense stretch of Cahill. I'm also wondering if Walmart or an area lot could possibly become a future park and ride location since there is easy access to highways 52 and 55 from there.

Nice pictures and video! I never even got to see it myself.

From looking at Metro Transit's Trip Planner, it's an extension of routes 68 and 71.

Here are the times:

Southbound:

6th and Robert

Route 71M:

Weekdays:

AM: 745

PM: 318, 348, 445, 515, 545

Route 68G (via Oakdale):

Weekdays:

AM: 630, 710, 800, 900, 1000, 1100

PM: 1200, 100, 200, 444, 508, 602, 717, 817, 917

Northbound:

Cahill Ave and Cheney Trl

Route 71HKL:

Weekdays:

AM: 836 L

PM: 409 K, 442 K, 533 L, 633 H

Route 68M:

Weekdays:

AM: 727 (Downtown), 820, 920, 1019, 1119

PM: 1218, 107, 216, 311, 620, 722, 823, 923, 1022

I'm going to assume that all of the NB 68 trips are via Oakdale

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a really bad shot of Plymouth Metrolink 60003: post-367-1260844918853_thumb.jpg I'll do my best to get a better one :lol:

Anyways the Second Ave. drop off seemed to work really nice. The real time signage hasn't been installed yet but it should be by the end of the year. Also the Mall of America bus stops now have electronic signs installed. They aren't operating yet as they still need a little work.

• 2 weeks later...

The new NexTrip signs at MOA were working in test mode today. Here are some pics and videos:

Video of sign at gate A

Video of sign at gate C

4209701322_02847a26ae_m.jpg (Click to enlarge) 4209701048_b8cc55da8f_m.jpg

They could use a little fine tuning :lol:

I haven't been to MOA since 2004, when the temporary turnaround for buses was east of the mall and outdoors. Where is the new terminal? Is it where the old one was (but now enclosed) or is it inside the mall near one of the parking garages? Or is it north of the mall replacing the outside parking lot? I know that the temporary turnaround also was a remote parking lot for Avis rentacars to the south of the bus turnaround and it was fenced in. Also at that time the extension of the Hiawatha Line to the mall was not completed yet. Where is the bus terminal in respect to the Hiawatha Line. I would assume that they are pretty close.

The MOA Transit Station is back where it had been before the light rail construction. As far as I know it is pretty much in the same configuration as it has been since 1992. I was a mall employee from 2005-2009 and the only changes that took place in the station during that timeframe was the relocation of the transit store, and renovation of the restrooms, and now the nextrip signs. It is located underneith the east parking ramp.

• 1 month later...

A couple updates:

NexTrip signs have been installed on 2nd and Marquette Avenues. Metro Transit is also starting to test next stop automated announcements on the new GILLIGs.

MVTA will be testing a NovaBus LFX on various routes February 25th - March 7th. They have also tested an Alexander Dennis Enviro 500 recently.

MVTA will also be rerouting 440, 441, 442, 444, and 445 and creating new routes 437 and 438 to serve the new Cedar Grove station.

The new Apple Valley Transit Station is now open.

The New Flyer D60HFs have been the dominant buses lately on 3, 16, and 50. I think MT is trying to burn some more miles onto the 3000 series before they start to retire them. (which will be soon) I noticed one or two in the dead row at South as well.

Finally here's some more pics:

4369164510_995c1929ed_t.jpg 4369165462_e130bef61e_t.jpg 4368438795_41a9a1c84c_t.jpg 4369147632_764e227ed6_t.jpg

4312328719_48bf97c578_t.jpg 4350711578_43cf957310_t.jpg 4350678930_7b9a79dee1_t.jpg 4350704252_49342de43b_t.jpg

It is hard to imagine a suburban service needing a double decker or artic. Is MVTA's ridership that heavy?

On some of the express routes there actually is enough ridership to justify a larger bus. They have had to shift schedules and add trips on the 460 and 465 in the past year because of overcrowding. The other purpose behind testing these vehicles out is to evaluate them for future Cedar Ave. BRT service.

On some of the express routes there actually is enough ridership to justify a larger bus. They have had to shift schedules and add trips on the 460 and 465 in the past year because of overcrowding. The other purpose behind testing these vehicles out is to evaluate them for future Cedar Ave. BRT service.

I guess the difference is that this is to the south, and the Northstar is to the north. I was thinking more along the lines of intrasuburban bus, in that Pace has pretty much given up the downtown express business (except for the mandated I-55 routes), but MVTA hasn't. Even though Pace talks BRT and ART, it certainly won't be with 80 passenger capacity buses on the routes they announced they were studying. 42BRT, maybe.

A couple updates:

NexTrip signs have been installed on 2nd and Marquette Avenues. Metro Transit is also starting to test next stop automated announcements on the new GILLIGs.

MVTA will be testing a NovaBus LFX on various routes February 25th - March 7th. They have also tested an Alexander Dennis Enviro 500 recently.

MVTA will also be rerouting 440, 441, 442, 444, and 445 and creating new routes 437 and 438 to serve the new Cedar Grove station.

The New Flyer D60HFs have been the dominant buses lately on 3, 16, and 50. I think MT is trying to burn some more miles onto the 3000 series before they start to retire them. (which will be soon) I noticed one or two in the dead row at South as well.

4369164510_995c1929ed_t.jpg 4369165462_e130bef61e_t.jpg 4368438795_41a9a1c84c_t.jpg 4369147632_764e227ed6_t.jpg

4312328719_48bf97c578_t.jpg 4350711578_43cf957310_t.jpg 4350678930_7b9a79dee1_t.jpg 4350704252_49342de43b_t.jpg

Are the Nexttrip signs exclusive to Metro or will they include the other agencies also?

A couple updates:

I remember riding the 3000 series on the 54 between MSP airport and the MOA. Those high floor NFs ran very well. If I remember correctly those buses were obtained on a piggy back order with another transit agency (my guess is NYMTA but I don't recall). I also believe it was the last order NF filled for high floor artics period.

I noticed the Plymouth Metrolink and the MVTA buses (the TD excluded) don't have rear doors on them. I certainly remember the 444? Burnsville to MOA bus that I rode had one. Were the rear doors excluded from these orders to provide more seating?