Minneapolis "t" Buses....

Are the Nexttrip signs exclusive to Metro or will they include the other agencies also?

They also provide arrival times for the other agencies. I'm not sure if they will be added soon to suburban transit stations though. I wish they would put some in at the U. That's one spot where actual arrival times can vary a lot.

I remember riding the 3000 series on the 54 between MSP airport and the MOA. Those high floor NFs ran very well. If I remember correctly those buses were obtained on a piggy back order with another transit agency (my guess is NYMTA but I don't recall). I also believe it was the last order NF filled for high floor artics period.

I noticed the Plymouth Metrolink and the MVTA buses (the TD excluded) don't have rear doors on them. I certainly remember the 444? Burnsville to MOA bus that I rode had one. Were the rear doors excluded from these orders to provide more seating?

Yes on MVTA buses rear doors were excluded to provide more seating. It also lowers the cost of the bus a little. Currently only the 35 foot buses have rear doors. Here is a blurry shot of the standard MVTA GILLIG 39 seat interior for the 40 footers. (I took it on a cloudy day in a wrapped bus so there wasn't enough light for it to come out clearly.)

post-367-12667274451571_thumb.jpg

The Plymouth ones are options from the Metro Transit contract and they have standard transit style seats instead of high backed ones. I assume the rear doors were left off of these for more seating space as well.

The interior is also typical of what I remember about Rochester N.Y. "suburbans," although there, at the time, a single door was also used because there were zone fares which you paid when leaving. My understanding from the web is that the latter were abolished. Also, from seeing pictures on the web, their low floor suburban Gilligs are like this, while the comparable NABIs have the step up just behind the wheelchair positions.

I remember riding the 3000 series on the 54 between MSP airport and the MOA. Those high floor NFs ran very well. If I remember correctly those buses were obtained on a piggy back order with another transit agency (my guess is NYMTA but I don't recall). I also believe it was the last order NF filled for high floor artics period.

The 3000 series is about half D60's and half D60LF's. All are around 1997 or 1998 vintage. These busses certainly weren't the last NF high floor order.

You may be thinking of the 3100 series, which are D60's from around 2003 (approx?) This MAY HAVE been a joint order with NY, but I really don't know. These busses are visually distinct because they are the only high floor articulated busses in the MT fleet with amber destination signs.

The 3100's, as well as all the current 3200's also have much nicer seating, with very plush suburban style seating.

The 3000's all have stainless steel seats with low pile upholstered inserts. The 400 series Gillig Phantoms also have this style seating.

Also, IIRC, MVTA previously operated articulated busses up until a few years ago. I believe these busses were EX-MT D60's retired when the 3100 series arrived.

The 3000 series is about half D60's and half D60LF's. All are around 1997 or 1998 vintage. These busses certainly weren't the last NF high floor order.

You may be thinking of the 3100 series, which are D60's from around 2003 (approx?) This MAY HAVE been a joint order with NY, but I really don't know. These busses are visually distinct because they are the only high floor articulated busses in the MT fleet with amber destination signs.

The 3100's, as well as all the current 3200's also have much nicer seating, with very plush suburban style seating.

The 3000's all have stainless steel seats with low pile upholstered inserts. The 400 series Gillig Phantoms also have this style seating.

Also, IIRC, MVTA previously operated articulated busses up until a few years ago. I believe these busses were EX-MT D60's retired when the 3100 series arrived.

It must've been a 3100 series because it rode like new AND had the plush seating that you mentioned. A Metro driver who worked with me on my part time job was based at the garage on Airport Rd. He was the one who told me about the piggyback order. I've only visited that garage, passed by the Nicollet and the 7th AVe facilities, and I've been to the Lorenz garage where they had Metro Gilligs as well as their own Gilligs which they sometimes used on Metro service.

Actually the MVTA artics were owned by Metro Transit, and were operated on MVTA routes under contract. This also happens with Maple Grove right now, and previously happened with Plymouth Metrolink.

Here is a link to a flickr photo on Metro Transit D60 #3119 operating under contract on Maple Grove Transit route 781, courtesy of MVTArider: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetransitcamera/3862728363/in/set-72157623161202157/

NovaBus LFX:

4411102119_6dd642733e_t.jpg 4411867542_c9240744cf_t.jpg 4411866928_2860e26bf7_t.jpg 4411099043_634d0524c1_t.jpg

4411097577_a08a91833e_t.jpg 4411098097_43d45c48c3_t.jpg 4411864232_af4a361065_t.jpg

4411096179_6408bc6d6c_t.jpg

Video:

Part one on highway 77.

Part two in Apple Valley. I think part one came out better IMO.

I like it, it's the same one that SWT had back in August for the fair. The ride was good, just a little bumpier than the ride of a GILLIG or NF on some of the local streets. It had smooth acceleration/braking. It had a slight vibration/rattle to it when it was standing still but otherwise seemed more solid than the MT NF D60LFRs. No squeaking windows either.

I would like it if MVTA decides to buy some in the future :)

NovaBus LFX:

4411102119_6dd642733e_t.jpg 4411867542_c9240744cf_t.jpg 4411866928_2860e26bf7_t.jpg 4411099043_634d0524c1_t.jpg

4411097577_a08a91833e_t.jpg 4411098097_43d45c48c3_t.jpg 4411864232_af4a361065_t.jpg

4411096179_6408bc6d6c_t.jpg

Video:

Part one on highway 77.

Part two in Apple Valley. I think part one came out better IMO.

I like it, it's the same one that SWT had back in August for the fair. The ride was good, just a little bumpier than the ride of a GILLIG or NF on some of the local streets. It had smooth acceleration/braking. It had a slight vibration/rattle to it when it was standing still but otherwise seemed more solid than the MT NF D60LFRs. No squeaking windows either.

I would like it if MVTA decides to buy some in the future :)

Are you familiar with the 40ft Novas operated by CTA?

I'm curious as to whether the Nova artic has the wide rear wheel wells.

I'm hoping not since it has a different engine layout.

Are you familiar with the 40ft Novas operated by CTA?

I'm curious as to whether the Nova artic has the wide rear wheel wells.

I'm hoping not since it has a different engine layout.

Yep i've ridden a couple CTA Novas. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by wide rear wheel wells though. I think there was a bit more aisle space in the rear than on the CTA ones.

Yep i've ridden a couple CTA Novas. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by wide rear wheel wells though. I think there was a bit more aisle space in the rear than on the CTA ones.

I think you answered my questions. The only Nova LFS buses I've ridden have been CTA's

[although I've seen Novas in Cleveland and Kenosha]. It seems as though the rear wheel well is wide making the isle space narrow. CTA's Nova LFS appear to have a 3 seat long

box on the passenger side of the bus just in front of the exit door.The width of this

box [it might contain vent equipment,etc] is wide enough to narrow the aisle at that point. :(

• 4 weeks later...

I thought that I would add some thoughts about the Cedar Grove Transit Station that opened almost 2 weeks ago.

1) Most riders do not like the change, it slows down all the buses except the 437.

2) Ridership is low, almost all the riders are trying to get to the mall, and all the 445 and 440 (and the 438) customers have to transfer at Cedar Grove now.

3) I wonder if anyone rides the 438...

4) The parking lot is significantly slanted, why didn't they just flatten the land?

I thought that I would add some thoughts about the Cedar Grove Transit Station that opened almost 2 weeks ago.

1) Most riders do not like the change, it slows down all the buses except the 437.

2) Ridership is low, almost all the riders are trying to get to the mall, and all the 445 and 440 (and the 438) customers have to transfer at Cedar Grove now.

3) I wonder if anyone rides the 438...

4) The parking lot is significantly slanted, why didn't they just flatten the land?

The only big benefit so far from the station is a better transfer point between the 445 and 444, otherwise it's not very useful. The service changes do make it a bit faster to go from Eagan to Apple Valley but they could have done that a while ago. I'm guessing the lot is slanted because it was cheaper to just pave the hill instead of grading it out. I heard one call for a reservation stop on the 438 while on the 445 heading home, otherwise I have no idea if anyone else has ridden that route yet :lol: They are planning to add express service to U of MN from Cedar Grove in September. (Two more GILLIGS, possibly BRTs, will be purchased for this) It will be interesting to see what happens when BRT starts running in 2012.

How is the Target Field intermodal thing working out with the Hiawatha Line and North Star ending there, especially for a game? There were two exhibition games there this weekend.

So far it's going well. I haven't been able to observe it personally during the games but if there was a major issue the media would have been all over it.

• 1 month later...

Some updates:

• U of MN Campus shuttle added another GILLIG BRT 40' hybrid to their fleet, #3827.
    4597743210_c4814eaf1c_t.jpg
  • The 3100 series is starting to get repainted.
    4597173569_7215075fe4_t.jpg
  • Metro transit will be getting 40 new New Flyer D60LFRs this summer, 29 from the contract mentioned previously and 11 from a State of MN contract.

• The contract for new LRT cars is expected to be awarded sometime in the next month or so. The new cars will not be able to train together or be compatible as a set with the current Bombardier Flexity-Swifts, however they should be able to be towed by each other. This is due to so many of the Flexity-Swifts' parts being obsolete. Therefore once new cars arrive there will be train sets of new cars and train sets of old cars but no mixed sets. Also it is suspected that there were several bidders on this contract who came in very close with their pricing.

• The LRT cars are starting to be overhauled. The older ones have about 450,000 miles on them.

• The Driver Assist System (DAS) BUS 2.0 that MVTA is trying should be active soon. Sensors have been added to the wrapped GILLIGS. MVTA Driver Assist System Bus, Staff Participate in ITS America in Houston, TX

• Most if not all of the 4100 series MVTA New Flyer D35LFs have had their seats reupholstered with the standard green fabric. Now the cushions don't make that squeaking sound when you sit in the seat! Incidentally here's a shot of 4121 the week before it was pulled for reupholstering:
    4597142001_326d177307_t.jpg
  • Speaking of reupholstering I noticed 7100 (Metro Transit 2002 GILLIG Low Floor 40' hybrid) had new fabric seat covers, perhaps the end of green vinyl seats will come sooner than the retirement of the 1000 series?

• Apparently the 438 is getting some riders, at least one every trip, sometimes 5 or 6, according to a driver who does the route.

Now for some photos from the field trips I got to go on for my transit class:

Heywood Garage: (A lot of the pictures I took didn't come out.)

4597605834_4e989cf62f_t.jpg

Light Rail Operations & Maintenance Facility: (Each thumbnail will link to the photo page with a description)

4597606382_b52bb76cf9_t.jpg 4597609374_71178ae34e_t.jpg 4596997781_0bd0ba7d6d_t.jpg 4597001833_8832e96acd_t.jpg 4597622252_4be55482ea_t.jpg 4597622712_9a937f3bfd_t.jpg

For a couple more pictures of the Heywood Garage and many more of the LRT facility see this set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetransitcamera/sets/72157623912762741/

MVTArider question for you. (sorry for thread jacking) You said for your transit class may I inquire where? I ask because I am looking for Graduate transportation programs with a focus in mass transit. I also know U of M has a program there.

MVTArider question for you. (sorry for thread jacking) You said for your transit class may I inquire where? I ask because I am looking for Graduate transportation programs with a focus in mass transit. I also know U of M has a program there.

Yep this was a U of MN class. Actually this one to be specific. I am still an undergrad so I can't really offer any advice or personal experience on a graduate program but I do recommend the U of MN.

Some updates:

• Metro transit will be getting 40 new New Flyer D60LFRs this summer, 29 from the contract mentioned previously and 11 from a State of MN contract.

New Flyer has this order in the "Now Manufacturing" feature on its home page, and the continuation story. However, I suppose you knew that.

Yep this was a U of MN class. Actually this one to be specific. I am still an undergrad so I can't really offer any advice or personal experience on a graduate program but I do recommend the U of MN.

Thanx! im in my final year of my undergrad. ill actually be up there for the 4th time during memorial day weekend, going to try to contact someone to visit the program.

• 1 month later...

Not completely, there will be some running out of MJR. Metro Transit did not have enough money to replce them all.

Ahh, I thought they would just not replace some since they've had service cuts over the past few years. Actually though if they were to reduce the fleet size at all losing 40 footers would makes more sense.

I bet the MJR ones are in better shape too since they aren't always used for all day service like the Heywood and East ones.

Nice to see the new artics.

I kind of don't want to see the new BRT's come in, less Phantoms :(

I found that State Fair bus routes are listed on Google Maps if you click on the bus stops.

There are some summer routes operating (all are Mon-Fri unless otherwise noted):

496S - Shakopee Summer Shuttle: June 7-Sept 3

http://bluexpressbus.com/documents/2010ShakopeeSummerShuttle.pdf (PDF)

Fare: $1, free transfer to 496E and 496W

Prior Lake Shuttles (Red, Blue, and Shakopee Connector): Blue, Red: June 17-July 16, Shakopee Shuttle: June 17-Aug 20

http://bluexpressbus.com/documents/shuttlelinkflier.pdf (PDF)

Fares:

- Shakopee Shuttle: Free

- Blue, Red: $1

682C - Chaska Summer Shuttle (Mon-Thurs only): June 14-July 29

http://swtransit.org/Chaska_Summer_Connector.html

Fares: $2 Adult, $1 Senior, Youth, and Disabled

Chaska Comm Ctr, SW Village, SW Station to Como Zoo: June 9, July 14, Aug 11

http://swtransit.org/Como_Park_Zoo_Conservatory.html

Fares: $2 Adult, $1 Senior, Youth, and Disabled

682B - East Creek, SW Village, SW Station - Target Field (Mon-Fri, 12:10, 7:10 games)

http://swtransit.org/Twins_Express.html

Fare: $3 Peak, $2.25 Non-Peak

There will be some modifications to SW Transit routes on August 2nd and on September 7th.

Effective August 2nd:

- Routes 680, 685, 690, 691, 697, and 699 will no longer serve the U of M

Effective September 7th:

- Route 684 leaving Downtown at 5:30 AM will instead begin at 6 AM

- Route 690 from SW Station at 3:05 PM will be eliminated

- Route 695 will have added service to the U of M, and will now stop at Southdale

http://swtransit.org/Route_Modifications_-_August_2_AND_September_72.html

I couldn't find the Rider Alert for routes 684 and 690, maybe these changes aren't happening?

------

In MVTA news, the bus platform at NB Hwy 13 & Cliff Rd should be done soon, if it isn't finished already. Riders will no longer have to wait in the shoulder lane.

There will be some modifications to SW Transit routes on August 2nd and on September 7th.

Effective August 2nd:

- Routes 680, 685, 690, 691, 697, and 699 will no longer serve the U of M

Effective September 7th:

- Route 684 leaving Downtown at 5:30 AM will instead begin at 6 AM

- Route 690 from SW Station at 3:05 PM will be eliminated

- Route 695 will have added service to the U of M, and will now stop at Southdale

http://swtransit.org/Route_Modifications_-_August_2_AND_September_72.html

I couldn't find the Rider Alert for routes 684 and 690, maybe these changes aren't happening?

------

In MVTA news, the bus platform at NB Hwy 13 & Cliff Rd should be done soon, if it isn't finished already. Riders will no longer have to wait in the shoulder lane.

So what buses will serve U of M? That's pretty much all the routes.