Minneapolis "t" Buses....

Some updates from yesterday...

Artics are back on the 54 line. 3129, 3134, 3142 (2003 D60's), 3234, 3241 (2007-8 D60LFR) were running. I wonder why Metro brought them back? Taste of Minnesota, July 4??? I never see the point in running them on the 54 (I never saw one of them with more than 15 people on it), when there are much busier lines (5, 16) that can get overcrowded. Perhaps it was because the special schedule for July 3rd?

Also, MVTA 4125 has been repainted.

There is a new transfer design. It is blue at the top and says "TRANSFER" while below that it is white and it explains all of the rules. They got rid of the large image of the bus and train in the center, and were replaced by small bus and train icons at the bottom. I saw it on the ground at the MOA station.

Some guy got mad on the LRT because the door wouldn't open, so he punched the door 3 times. Then he realized that the door opened on the other side :lol:

Then at the MOA station there were 7 kids riding their bikes on the bus loop road at the MOA. Never seen that before...

Aww man, I knew I should have gone out on Friday, oh well. I remember they were using artics on Christmas Eve. as well. I'm also guessing it has something to do with the special schedule. Running them on the 5 and 16 would be better though. Maybe they just want to be prepared in the event of a large crowd coming in at the airport? Also I forgot to mention I spoke to a Metro Transit person at the St. Paul I-94 open house. He said the artics on the 54 last year were because of the RNC and that there were no plans to run them on 54 again this summer. He also said MT will probably be increasing the # of artics and may look into hybrid ones as well. I assume if that happens it will just be more New Flyers, but I wouldn't mind seeing some Nova LFS artics cruising University* :wub:

Hey Bus Driver Dude, how's it going at Ruters?

*(Assuming they don't develop problems that make the NABI 60-LFW look good.)

Hopefully they get some hybrid artics. Metro is committed to using hybrids on Nicollet Mall, so routes 10, 11, 17 and 18 have to use them. Artics will help reduce the overcrowding that happens on the 10, 17 and 18.

Nova Artics would be cool, especially if we got the LFX!

Hey Bus Driver Dude, how's it going at Ruters?
Route training is going very well. Should be turned out on the July 23. I will be going on the extra board.

Artics are back on the 54 line. 3129, 3134, 3142 (2003 D60's), 3234, 3241 (2007-8 D60LFR) were running. I wonder why Metro brought them back?

I would assume they expected heavy traffic during this time.

There is a new transfer design. It is blue at the top and says "TRANSFER" while below that it is white and it explains all of the rules.
I liked the green transfers better. I noticed they no longer have the bold arrow to show which side goes in the TRIM.

Running them on the 5 and 16 would be better though.

I believe they do run artics on the route 16 on some trips.

He also said MT will probably be increasing the # of artics and may look into hybrid ones as well. I assume if that happens it will just be more New Flyers, but I wouldn't mind seeing some Nova LFS artics cruising University*
I would like to drive a kind of different bus but I think Metro Transit will go with New Flyer again.

Hopefully they get some hybrid artics. Metro is committed to using hybrids on Nicollet Mall, so routes 10, 11, 17 and 18 have to use them. Artics will help reduce the overcrowding that happens on the 10, 17 and 18.

I am not sure they would be used on those route. They have a shortage of artics on express routes as it is. I know when I was at Heywood I would often get a 40' bus instead of a Artic. Also the artic are slower accelerating which would slow down the routes. The problem with heavy load on buses are when the bus runs late. They start picking up the followers load. I am sure the higher up know more about it than me but that's how it was explained to me. From personal experience it is not fun driving artic on local routes.

I noticed that the updated bus roster now has the MCI. They are bus # 0200 - 0212 and have not been assigned a garage as of now. Also some of the 2009 New Flyers Artic buses have been assigned garages. Haywood has 4 and East Metro has 1 with 6 New Flyer are still not assigned.

Route training is going very well. Should be turned out on the July 23. I will be going on the extra board.

Hmm, by any chance were you in route training at 46th St. station on June 30th?

3710685964_9a42bf7d49.jpg(link to pic)

I noticed that the updated bus roster now has the MCI. They are bus # 0200 - 0212 and have not been assigned a garage as of now. Also some of the 2009 New Flyers Artic buses have been assigned garages. Haywood has 4 and East Metro has 1 with 6 New Flyer are still not assigned.

Interesting number sequence for them :huh: Oh yeah, here is a picture of one of the MCI coaches MT used to have in the old MT livery.

Hmm, by any chance were you in route training at 46th St. station on June 30th?

3710685964_9a42bf7d49.jpg(link to pic)

Interesting number sequence for them :huh: Oh yeah, here is a picture of one of the MCI coaches MT used to have in the old MT livery.

Nope not me, most likely some new part-timers learning to drive artic. By the way, there will be a new class of part-timers starting on Monday also there is a new class of part to full starts on Monday.

You make want to know when it says "Student Driver" it is most likely a new part time driver being taught how to drive a bus. When it say " Route Training" than it is driver learning the route. If they are able they will take the drivers out in the Instructional Van to route training but unlike in my class, with 12 drivers , we are using a bus.

I wonder if this means that delivery of the MCI's has started?

Here is an article on New Flyer and the stimulus:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/w...flyer_stimulus/

Plymouth Metrolink will redesign some of its service in December:

Overview:

http://www2.ci.plymouth.mn.us/pls/cop/docs...GES_+060809.HTM

Revised Changes:

http://www2.ci.plymouth.mn.us/pls/cop/docs...NGES+7-2-09.HTM

Proposed route 774/795 map (PDF):

http://www2.ci.plymouth.mn.us/pls/cop/docs...774-795+(2).PDF

Proposed route 776 map (PDF):

http://www2.ci.plymouth.mn.us/pls/cop/docs...OSED776+(2).PDF

Proposed Route 777 map (PDF):

http://www2.ci.plymouth.mn.us/pls/cop/docs...OSED777+(2).PDF

New Bluexpress Newsletter, mentions a new MCI coming soon, 1 new commute trip, and the 3 reverse commute trips coming in the fall from the JARC grant: http://www.bluexpressbus.com/documents/XpressPress-0609.pdf

Transportation Committee will meet on Monday. On the agenda: Northstar fares, 'Transit Link' the new regional dial-a-ride system starting in January, as well as some other stuff:

http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn.us/Tr...1309agenda2.htm

I wonder if this means that delivery of the MCI's has started?

Yes, I have been keeping track of the roster sheet and the 2009 artic did not show up on them until they was recieved. Also, this confirms what I was told a few weeks ago.

Transportation Committee will meet on Monday. On the agenda: Northstar fares, 'Transit Link' the new regional dial-a-ride system starting in January, as well as some other stuff:

http://councilmeetings.metc.state.mn.us/Tr...1309agenda2.htm

They are also going to talk about New Metro Mobility and Regional Dial-a-Ride Vehicle Graphics. There is a graphic on the new MCI paint scheme also. The meeting will be held at Heywood so no video streaming of the meeting. I don't care for this I rather watch the meeting than reading it.

Here is a Northstar Commuter Rail Line Update - July 2009 to the Metropolitan Council. It shows exterior and interior pictures of the cab cars. They also have a picture of the cab car operator seat. Near the end they have a video of the train. Northstar train is now doing testing on the main line and will be doing that all summer. I also have pictures of Elk River Station and Anoka Station on my blog.

MVTArider, I heard that the Minn. DOT is waiting for the federal stimulus funding money, before they can allocate it to the various transit agencies, so that they can start to receive their new NABI or El Dorados buses. Can you find out about this?

I know MNDot is expecting funds, I haven't heard anything about MN getting NABIs however. I know DTA, MVTA and City of Rochester have an RFP out for new buses, as noted here. Aside from that I haven't heard anything at this time.

---------

I noticed 2329 is in Cambridge apparently. (Maybe T8H5307A & CTA5555 could buy it and use it instead of a D40LF on their runs. :P)

There was a news item recently about MT getting 29 artics with stimulus money (these are remaining options on the D60LFR order in 2007). The news also mentioned outstate transit agencies getting $7 million for new buses. I'll try to find it.

Here is the article, Mr. Transit: http://www.startribune.com/local/50413052.html

EDIT: Apparently SW Transit has suspended the route 638 (Shady Oak Road shuttle) as of July 10th. I thought that it was finished on the 16th anyways.

Also SW Transit has some 3-bike racks now.

http://swtransit.org/sites/d82719c7-9b33-4...On_the_Move.pdf

I went to the Met Council Transportation Committee Meeting tonight. They argued about the Northstar fares for an hour and 45 minutes and then decided to talk about it at the next meeting :D Then everything else was passed without questions.

Here is the UPA update:

95th Ave - They are currently working on level 2 of 3. There will be 550 spaces in addition to the 900 or so already there.

Twin Lakes - They are currently working on level 3 of 4. There will be 460 spaces at this location.

Kenrick Ave - They are currently working on level 3 of 3. There will be 750 spaces at this location, and will open in September.

Cedar Grove - No update shown, but construction started in early June. There will be 164 spaces at this location.

Apple Valley - The structure hasn't started to form yet, however the ramp to the second floor has started to take shape, as well as the elevator shafts to the skyway. There will be 750 spaces at this location.

181st/Cedar - Construction has not started yet, but there will be 400 spaces at this location.

27 buses will be purchased for the UPA service. 9 low floor diesels, 5 hybrids, and 13 coaches.

10 MVTA buses will get lane guidance systems for the Cedar Ave shoulders, and will get "bus 2.0" wraps.

Also a lot of 35W has been repaved, and the HO/T lanes should be finished by the end of September.

(Pictures removed from post to save space.)

Some Updates:

Went to the Cedar Ave. meeting again, no Nimbys this time, nothing really new either. The open house in September sounds like they will have a lot of new info. to share though.

Went by Cedar Grove Station and the site has been graded for the parking lot/bus loop but there isn't any real construction yet.

Also I heard MVTA is taking photos of the AVTS every week or two so there should be a timeline of the whole construction sequence once it's complete.

^Thanks for all the updates and info. TCMetro and Bus Driver Dude :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how the lane guidance system works and seeing some Metro Transit MCIs as well. Hopefully the Met Council will decide on Northstar Fares before the line opens :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Northstar Testing

I found this on You Tube. Apparently they don't like the horn. I am waiting judgment until I here it myself.

From the YouTube it looks like it is a push-pull operation (similar to the Metra diesel lines), but that the horn on the cab car is much higher pitched than the one on the locomotive. In any event, they sound too "breathy." Of course, one doesn't know the fidelity of the recording.

I suppose that there are FRA standards for such things.

From the YouTube it looks like it is a push-pull operation (similar to the Metra diesel lines), but that the horn on the cab car is much higher pitched than the one on the locomotive. In any event, they sound too "breathy." Of course, one doesn't know the fidelity of the recording.

I suppose that there are FRA standards for such things.

Well, I can only tell you what is in the comment on the You Tube Page. Apparently one of the person says they are going to file a complaint. Now, Does anyone know if they can adjust the horn?

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Winnipeg this week :) and on the way saw buses in St. Cloud, Fargo and Grand forks. Nothing different in St. Cloud, Matbus-Fargo has some new looking New Flyer D35LFRs and the usual Gillig 29 ft Low Floors. Matbus-Moorhead has 1997 New Flyer D35LFs and 30 ft Orion VIIs. In Grand Forks I saw a 29 Foot Gillig Low Floor #42 (pre 2007) and a couple New Flyer D35LFs, otherwise just a couple Startrans Cutaways that looked to be a few years old.

In Winnipeg I saw everything from 1988 MCI Classics to 2009 New Flyer D40LFRs. anyways here are the Winnipeg Transit pictures and here are a couple MATBUS pictures I was able to grab while on a quick layover. I didn't get any CAT (Grand Forks) pics since I didn't want to lose my seat :D

Also on the way up to St. cloud I saw about 7 or 8 (maybe?) of the new Metro Transit MCI D4500s out for what I assume was driver training. I also saw just about every single Maple Grove Transit bus while waiting in line for an hour at the Greyhound Depot.