Minneapolis "t" Buses....

---

Thanks for the updates. Reverse commute for Prior Lake and Savage sounds like a good idea. Its nice to see the service being used. I saw a brand new white Dodge minivan in the new scheme, I think it just had metrotransit.org on it. Also I wonder if Lorenz, who appears to be the winner, will get new equipment assigned? Probably just 29ft Gilligs though :(

I heard that El Dorado National won that state wide bus contract with the Minn. DOT. I don't know any other details. If you hear of any, please let me know.
Again I didn't know that :lol: If I hear anything i'll let you know though. More likely if I happen to see say, a shiny new 30ft EZ Rider II or anther new cutaway working the Faribault Flyer or Hastings TRAC i'll let you know about that too.

The Sector 8 (NW Metro) Phase II restructuring will occur in June 2009 according to the Metro Transit website, the delay is because the new Starlite TC wasn't constructed in time. http://www.metrotransit.org/improvingTrans...ng/timeline.asp

EDIT 1: Also I found the route 722 changes on the trip planner. The new Earle Brown Dr. branch will be #722AB and will travel via Shingle Creek Pkwy to Summit Dr to Earle Brown Dr back to Summit in a loop and back to Shingle Creek Pkwy so no stops are missed.

722A will end at 69th and Humboldt while 722B will end at Noble-83rd. Some A and B trips will serve Earle Brown, here are the times from the personal bus schedule NB from BCTC on weekdays:

531am A, 616am A, 630am A, 747am B, 845am B, 945am A, 114pm A

Saturdays:

646am A, 903am A

Sundays:

832am A

EDIT 2: http://www.duluthtransit.com/news/news.aspx?pid=1052

Duluth is making some changes such as a new mall area shuttle, elimination of route 8, 15 minute service on the west mainline, and a new express bus. #20X, among other changes.

Here is some more Metro Transit footage for anyone who is interested:

Drive-by videos of 1998 Gillig LF on 576, 2002 Gillig Phantom on 94C and 2007 New Flyer D60LFR on 50.

Ride videos of 1998 New Flyer D60HF on the 16, 1999 Gillig Phantom on the 64 and 2003 Gillig Phantom on the 64D.

And some pics:

post-367-1235660946_thumb.jpgpost-367-1235660968_thumb.jpgpost-367-1235660998_thumb.jpg

post-367-1235661023_thumb.jpg

I also saw 2375 in Plymouth Metrolink livery working the 776. It seemed to be running pretty well but the suspension by the front door was shot, its bumper was only about 6 inches of the ground :lol:

If you want to ride the Bluebirds one last time do it soon, a driver said the replacements will probably be in service around the beginning of April.

That's funny, i've seen people fail at opening the back doors and eventually the driver will open them with the button in the driver's area. Not as bad as the time I was on the 21 (w/ a Phantom) and the driver opened the back doors at every stop (even though it was like 5 degrees out!).

I saw that Apple Valley Transit Station has new schedule boards, the new ones are dark green and have the new MVTA logo. The AVTS Cedar-BRT station isn't under construction yet, but the 2 lots next to the current station were 100% full and the Watson's lot was ~80% full, and some people were parked on the street. The ramp construction is going to make this area a nightmare again...

I've seen that the Cedar Grove station is under construction, it is just mounds of dirt though.

A while ago I saw something cool, 3 2008 D60LFR's all at the Metrodome station (towards DT Mpls) on the 3, 16, and 50 at the same time!

About these new Gillig's coming in April, are these replacing all of the Blue Birds (or just the CNG's or just the diesels)?

Also the Lake Street bus stop on I-35W will close this summer.

from the MVTA website:

Construction will affect virtually every mile of I-35W from downtown Minneapolis to Lakeville this summer. Among the inconveniences for bus riders will be the closure of the Lake Street bus stop. Buses will not stop at either the northbound or southbound stops on I-35W at Lake Street from May to September. Riders will need to plan to board buses in downtown Minneapolis. MVTA trips will continue to operate on Third Avenue through the construction period on Second and Marquette Avenues.

From what I have heard 9900-9905 will be replaced for sure, i'm not sure about the CNGs though. I'm hoping I can ride one pretty soon since i've never been on one before.

Also speaking of drivers opening the rear doors i've noticed the Van Hools still have the driver controlling doors so I guess the idea that they would stay warmer inside isn't panning out :lol:

Has anyone seen many people using Lake St. anyways? I think a couple 470 trips I was on stopped there but usually it seems to pass. Looking forward to seeing Marq2 completed as well.

The CNG's are usually on expresses, I would suggest going to the Gateway Ramp or 3rd Ave between 3 and 6 pm

I saw one of MVTA's ex-Metro Transit 1998 Gillig LF's. It has the silver frames and clear windows, it looked like #4497 although it was a bit too far away to see it clearly. It left Burnsville TS and looked like it was going to enter the HOV ramp to 35W NB, but turned the other way (this was on Thursday morning.

I also saw a Glaval #4827 on route 445 this afternoon.

Thanks for the updates :) I haven't been out all week because of a cold bug I got :angry: So if its 4497 then I guess they just added a 4 to the end. I was wondering if they would be numbered 9801 and 02 or something. I'll give Gateway a shot. The only place I have seen the CNGs regularly is parked outside E.B.G. With Cedar Grove from what I remember of the original plan in the paper several years ago there was going to be two stations with one by 77 and one by the bowling alley. Of course this was before the market went kaput. I guess now they are just putting in one though.

I'm not sure if it was #4497 or not, but the bus went to the Burnsville bus garage where you could probably see it (I heard both of MVTA's garages are overcapacity so some buses get parked outside).

They used to run a CNG on the last run of the 440 SB, but I'm not sure if they still do. I have seen the CNG's downtown before, mostly on routes 470 and 472, but could be on the 476 or the 464 in rarer cases.

I haven't seen the rarest MVTA bus of all :lol: ,#4127, a 2001 Blue Bird LTC-37, recently. It has been on the 464 and 465 in the past.

EDIT: SouthWest Transit proposed cuts for May 26th: http://www.swtransit.org/sites/d82719c7-9b...ute_Changes.pdf They want to cut more midday service (on the 684) and all of Saturday service (Route 693).

They're also retiring some minibuses:

215-219 2001 Ford Champion

202-203 2003 Ford Champion

http://www.swtransit.org/sites/d82719c7-9b...venue_Fleet.pdf

Do you happen to know if the minibuses will be replaced with something else, or just more minibuses? I think I saw 4127 once on the 446 back in '06 or '07 haven't seen it since. From what i've heard just 9900-9905 will be replaced no plans to replace the CNGs yet. Also I noticed the 16 seemed to be exclusively 98 D60HFs this morning. At least with the frequency reductions they aren't still stuffing passengers into the BRTs :lol:

I think they got some minibuses recently but it will be hard to spot them as the only routes that use them are 603, 632, and 693 and they probably use the trolleys sometimes, so they must be a little hard to find. Plus they want to get rid of the 693.......

Metro Transit website redesign: http://www.metrocouncil.org/doing_business...acting/8184.pdf

Be interesting to see what they come up with for a new website, it would be nice if they had some facts and figures like ridership. A page about the buses like AC Transit has would be nice too, not going to happen of course :lol:

Also don't all the 3 trips to St. Paul turn down the exit ramp after Washington Ave. bridge? I was on a bus that skipped that ramp and went up to the the next stop on Washington Ave. then turned right onto Church St. and another right onto Deleware St. looping through what looked like a loading zone area and then onto the ramp like normal. I wonder if the driver missed the turn or something? :unsure:

Well doing a little digging I found the MVTA March 2009 Board Packet, according to which:

2009 Compressed Natural gas rate-$3.49 including taxes. The current price from CenterPoint Energy is $2.13 including taxes. The price increases to $2.79 per gallon on August 1, 2008. No CNG fuel included with calculation because buses leaving service in 2009. Usage included with diesel fuel.
I guess the CNGs are going away soon after all. I'm still not sure if the new Gilligs coming will replace any though. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Also mentioned are a new stop location at Burnsville Center (again!!??), a bus transfer point on Lone Oak Rd, and talk of plans for a Rosemount Station.

Be interesting to see what they come up with for a new website, it would be nice if they had some facts and figures like ridership. A page about the buses like AC Transit has would be nice too, not going to happen of course :lol:

Also don't all the 3 trips to St. Paul turn down the exit ramp after Washington Ave. bridge? I was on a bus that skipped that ramp and went up to the the next stop on Washington Ave. then turned right onto Church St. and another right onto Deleware St. looping through what looked like a loading zone area and then onto the ramp like normal. I wonder if the driver missed the turn or something? :unsure:

Yeah, that 3 missed the ramp. Unless he was going to drop his friend off at Coffman. :lol:

I wonder when metro transit is getting its next shipment of new buses,Ive noticed that the south garage doesnt run their 400 or 500 buses that much anymore. I wonder if the next shipment of buses will be a different design or have different seats on them.

The 3c bus I got on today didnt turn where it was supposed to either, he kept going down washington by the u of m and I got off and it said "3C" on there.

Yeah, that 3 missed the ramp. Unless he was going to drop his friend off at Coffman. :lol:

Well I think someone did get off there so maybe :lol:

I wonder when metro transit is getting its next shipment of new buses,Ive noticed that the south garage doesnt run their 400 or 500 buses that much anymore. I wonder if the next shipment of buses will be a different design or have different seats on them.

The 3c bus I got on today didnt turn where it was supposed to either, he kept going down washington by the u of m and I got off and it said "3C" on there.

I haven't seen too many 400s lately as well, I have noticed that South has a row of 2300/300s lined up in the back, I assume awaiting State Fair duty.

As far as new buses if we get any this year I assume they will be the same 40ft Gillig BRTs as last year but when it comes time to replace the 400s then there might be a chance to get something different. Unless there is an option in the Gillig contract for the buses that we got last year. I haven't had time to read Met Council minutes lately so I don't know if there are any new RFPs out for buses.

I wonder then if the 3 has a new route by the U?? :unsure:

I know there are 8 garages for Metro. I can only remember the ones on 7th Street, Nicollett, and the one by the airport. I'm guessing there is one or 2 somewhere in St Paul. Where are the rest?

Well here is the link about their facilities:

http://www.metrotransit.org/aboutUs/aboutM....asp#facilities Other than that i'm not too familiar with them.

-----------

EDIT: 444 to begin pilot test with Bus Stops only Sweet! B)

There are 5 Metro Transit garages: Heywood, Nicollet, East Metro, South and MJ Ruter. There are 3 suburban garages: Eden Prairie (SW Transit), Burnsville and Eagan (both MVTA), and there are various contractor garages.

SW Transit started a new route, #638: http://www.swtransit.org/Route_Information...81-bb11b82a2148

I honestly do not get the point of this route. Unless they want people to transfer to/from the 12 bus?

I also wonder where they will put the Burnsville Center bus stop now. I think they are moving it because of the kids that will run in front of the bus that are coming out of Chuck E. Cheese. But this will be the 4th bus stop at the Burnsville Center in less than 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw MVTA #4121 was repainted. I also saw 4124, 4125, and 4126 yesterday and they were not repainted yet. I guess the new Gillig's must be here now or soon. I am also keeping an eye out for the ex-Metro Transit Gillig LF's.

I may have forgot to mention this: Awhile ago I saw ex-Metro Transit #340 running for Plymouth Metrolink, probably as a Blue Bird replacement until the Gillig's come later this year.

I'll have to look for 4121 now, I wonder if 4123 also got repainted, I noticed it seemed to be missing some paint by the doors IIRC. I saw 4124 on 445 as well yesterday. So its 340 and 2375 that were reassigned, I can't remember, was it just two? Also I did not see any CNGs out so I wonder if they are gone already.

I never knew that SW Transit had an Invero, or the 1988 Phantoms. I also thought that they had 5 D40LFR's not 3. I remember them talking about there new Invero a couple of years ago, but I only saw the D40LFR's, so I thought that they had made a mistake.

I saw a new repainted Phantom: 1042

MT will get 11 new D60LFR's soon, and 25 are on order. They are being built now according to this article: http://www.startribune.com/business/42445917.html

I guess that they won't replace all of the artics with artics because they have 26 coaches coming this fall.

Plymouth Metrolink will get their 15 new Gilligs in December. They are also restructuring their bus system: http://www2.ci.plymouth.mn.us/pls/cop/docs..._09_MINUTES.HTM

Do you know the 2 D40LF's that have the Cedar BRT wrap? I have the 2 Gillig's, they are 4728 and 4729. Also do you know the U of M Van Hool numbers?

Farewell to route 255, it is being eliminated 5/30/09. I think that Phase 2 of the NW metro restructring will be implemented then. http://www.metrocouncil.org/meetings/publi...TRANSITROUTE255