Minneapolis "t" Buses....

I had an interesting sighting at Detroit Diesel a few days ago.. It was a 60ft bus in the LA Metro Rapid red paint scheme... I believe it was possibly a NABI? Anyone else see this?

Aww, cool B) Probably NABI, thats what they are getting right now I believe.

Good grief, those 29 ft. Gilligs are a menace, I was thrown right out of my seat at one of the stops on 539 when someone came running up :lol: I must admit though I really am liking the new MVTA 35 ft. ones, amazing how 6 feet in the wheelbase makes such a difference.

Welcome aboard Bus Driver Dude :)

It is not the bus that is the problem but it is the driver. Mostly likely he stopped too quickly for the running passenger. If you don't apply air brakes correctly it does not matter which bus you have.

Thank you for the welcome.

Checked out your site. I saw a couple of videos of the LRT with ad wrap. I wonder how effective the wrap is at the speed those trains were running.

I also see that your YouTube had a video of a CTA articulated bus (not with a distinguishable number) in St. Paul. I'll bet that's the last time it stops at a traffic light. :wub:

Checked out your site. I saw a couple of videos of the LRT with ad wrap. I wonder how effective the wrap is at the speed those trains were running.

I also see that your YouTube had a video of a CTA articulated bus (not with a distinguishable number) in St. Paul. I'll bet that's the last time it stops at a traffic light. :wub:

I personally do not like wraps. But understand I am up close to the LRT. When you are farther away you see it better. I may get some pictures for you. It may take a little time.

To answer your question the bus number is 4112. It was kinda of a funny story. My family and I was leaving our home and saw the bus. So we chased the bus to get these pictures. Luckily for me he stopped at the ATM machine.

post-538-1242671570_thumb.jpg

post-538-1242671586_thumb.jpg

post-538-1242671606_thumb.jpg

I personally do not like wraps. But understand I am up close to the LRT. When you are farther away you see it better. I may get some pictures for you. It may take a little time.

It was more like a generic question, rather than a particular request for a picture. My observation was sort of similar to wraps on L cars here, which seem only directed to passengers waiting on the platform as the train stops, or maybe to drivers at about the same speed as the train on the track in the middle of the expressway, but certainly not to persons standing watching the train go by.

BTW, to the people in Chicago: is there really a CTA train wrapped with "Mr. Wonderful is One Car Down"? And does Paul Ordorff really ride the L? ;)

It was more like a generic question, rather than a particular request for a picture. My observation was sort of similar to wraps on L cars here, which seem only directed to passengers waiting on the platform as the train stops, or maybe to drivers at about the same speed as the train on the track in the middle of the expressway, but certainly not to persons standing watching the train go by.

Well I think they are more for people in cars or walking by to see.

It is not the bus that is the problem but it is the driver. Mostly likely he stopped too quickly for the running passenger. If you don't apply air brakes correctly it does not matter which bus you have.

Thank you for the welcome.

Okay, thats true, but still IMO the 29ft model has a rough ride compared to the 35 ft and 40 ft ones.

Yeah, you may be right there. I have to try riding one of the 29'. Do you know any that runs on the weekends?

The BE Line routes 538 and 539 use them 7 days a week, those are the only ones I know of around here. Unless there are some up in the north suburbs.

Well here are a few more pics:

post-367-1243560460_thumb.jpg post-367-1243560421_thumb.jpg post-367-1243560385_thumb.jpg

post-367-1243560349_thumb.jpg post-367-1243560321_thumb.jpg

I like the sign on 754 :lol:

Also heard that with the changeover coming one of the morning runs on 445 will start using a GMC/Glaval instead of a Gillig LF :( Oh, and I saw one of the 2007 Glavals has a side dest. sign now.

Well here are a few more pics:

post-367-1243560460_thumb.jpg post-367-1243560421_thumb.jpg post-367-1243560385_thumb.jpg

post-367-1243560349_thumb.jpg post-367-1243560321_thumb.jpg

I like the sign on 754 :lol:

Also heard that with the changeover coming one of the morning runs on 445 will start using a GMC/Glaval instead of a Gillig LF :( Oh, and I saw one of the 2007 Glavals has a side dest. sign now.

I have been wanting to get a video/picture of the BRT wrapped bus when it came out.

I have been wanting to get a video/picture of the BRT wrapped bus when it came out.

So have I :lol:

Also not to be in competition with Bus Driver Dude but I was at the Como-Harriet Streetcar Line myself today to see the streetcars and the classic car show as well. Here is a link to pictures of a 1946 Twin City Rapid Transit PCC car. (The forum wouldn't let me upload photos today :unsure: )

EDIT: I also saw the new bus stop signs for the 444 yesterday at Metcalf, they even have the route # on them! :wub:

Also not to be in competition with Bus Driver Dude but I was at the Como-Harriet Streetcar Line myself today to see the streetcars and the classic car show as well. Here is a link to pictures of a 1946 Twin City Rapid Transit PCC car. (The forum wouldn't let me upload photos today :unsure: )
There is a certain classic look to the name plate and window cranks, which I recall from the 6000 series L cars (also St. Louis Car products made with recycled PCC parts).

This is Gillig 29' Low Floor, Bus # 6093, doing the Route 32 at the Rosedale Transit Center This service is contracted out to Lorenz Bus Service by Metropolitan Council. I see that they are going to sport the same paint job as Metro Transit buses. Only difference is they do not have the red and white T on the back. Video is HERE

post-538-1244256489_thumb.jpg post-538-1244256506_thumb.jpg

This is Gillig 29' Low Floor, Bus # 6093, doing the Route 32 at the Rosedale Transit Center This service is contracted out to Lorenz Bus Service by Metropolitan Council. I see that they are going to sport the same paint job as Metro Transit buses. Only difference is they do not have the red and white T on the back.

post-538-1244256489_thumb.jpg post-538-1244256506_thumb.jpgh

Is it my imagination or this Gillig looks like a high floor bus.

This is Gillig 29' Low Floor, Bus # 6093, doing the Route 32 at the Rosedale Transit Center

Nice pics, thanks for posting them, and i'll check out the video shortly too. It's interesting they are keeping with the new livery even though it's contracted service. I'm looking forward to seeing a LRT car repainted sometime as well.

Is it my imagination or this Gillig looks like a high floor bus.

Someone hasn't been to Gilligland lately :D Any high floor Gillig would have the slanted driver's windshield and no panel between the driver's window and the passenger windows. The windows on the side all being at the same level though do sort of make it seem like a high floor when comparing to New Flyers or NABIs with the split levels of windows between the low and high sections.

------

A few updates, 4123 is repainted in new livery. Having a jumbo Glaval instead of a 35 ft Gillig LF on one of the morning runs sucks, still it's better than cutting service. Also forgot to mention this sort of funny thing I heard on the 5 awhile ago: This guy was complaining to the driver about how the MTC wouldn't hire him to drive a bus because of his driving record. The driver asked what he had and the guy said "42 speeding tickets, that's the recent stuff I need to take car of."

Nice pics, thanks for posting them, and i'll check out the video shortly too. It's interesting they are keeping with the new livery even though it's contracted service. I'm looking forward to seeing a LRT car repainted sometime as well.

Someone hasn't been to Gilligland lately :D Any high floor Gillig would have the slanted driver's windshield and no panel between the driver's window and the passenger windows. The windows on the side all being at the same level though do sort of make it seem like a high floor when comparing to New Flyers or NABIs with the split levels of windows between the low and high sections.

------

A few updates, 4123 is repainted in new livery. Having a jumbo Glaval instead of a 35 ft Gillig LF on one of the morning runs sucks, still it's better than cutting service. Also forgot to mention this sort of funny thing I heard on the 5 awhile ago: This guy was complaining to the driver about how the MTC wouldn't hire him to drive a bus because of his driving record. The driver asked what he had and the guy said "42 speeding tickets, that's the recent stuff I need to take car of."

It is my understanding the current LRT will be repainted when they get refurbished. I would assume that the new ones for Central Corrider will in new paint scheme. HERE is a taste . I can't wait to see Northstar running.

Nice finds! I wonder if some of East Metro's D60/LFR's will be moved to another garage with the MCI's coming in. I heard that they will be on the 860 line, but that probably only needs 5 buses, maybe the others will go to routes like the 355, 365, 375 and 452 (assuming they are east metro routes)?

There should be 11 of those 2009 D60LFR's coming in.

I also saw 2 MVTA Blue Birds (Q-Bus, CNG). I thought these were gone. They could have been on the 472 and the 476.

Nice find of the 30' Gillig on the 32 line as well, Bus Driver Dude.

Nice pics of the NF :) and that's interesting that East will get an MCI since I believe the MCIs are from UPA money for the 35W stuff. Still an MCI would certainly be useful in the East Metro as well, maybe the Woodbury/Maplewood commuter routes.

Maybe I can still ride a CNG then :o They have John Deere engines so that would be something different. I did see a couple parked outside EBG a few weeks ago but couldn't tell if they had signs or not. I also found out the reason they keep them outside is because to keep them inside would require outfitting the entire garage with special sensors.

While in Cannon Falls it looked like there were some ex-MT Phants parked behind the building where I got the pics and also some over at the Fil-Mor supply warehouse. I would've tried getting a better look at the ones at Fil-Mor but the frontage road becomes their private driveway so I couldn't drive by like I thought.

Nice pics of the NF :) and that's interesting that East will get an MCI since I believe the MCIs are from UPA money for the 35W stuff. Still an MCI would certainly be useful in the East Metro as well, maybe the Woodbury/Maplewood commuter routes.

There is not must enthusiasm for the MCI coming to East Metro. Apparently they had coach buses before (which are now with a private provider) and they did not work out. People were complaining about aisle being to narrow and larger size people stop riding. When a coach would broke down. The passengers did not want it back. Also you will have a limited supply of drivers trained for the bus. These are some of the comments I have heard. It will be interesting how this plays out. I believe that the Route 860 was serviced by a coach bus before Metro Transit took it over.

South Garage may get some if a certain route is created.

I hope I am still at East Garage when they come in. I am going full-time so I most likely will have a change in garage assignment.

Yes when Lorenz ran the 860 (before May 30) they used coach buses (MCI's), but I also saw the Met Council D40LF's on that route.

MT got 2 MCI D4500's in 1999, and they were used on the 671 and one of the other 670-series routes (besides 670/673/678). However they disappeared around 2005-2007.

Once I was on an MVTA MCI D4500 and I heard the passengers talking about how the coaches were better than the [D60] artics, specifically how the coaches didn't jackknife in the snow and how they were more comfortable. It is also weird when the artics start swaying because they are going so fast on the freeway. I dislike the narrow aisles though...

They are getting 26 MCI's, but 13 should be going to the UPA routes (467 and 477 Extension). Perhaps they will also go to the 250 (95th Ave P&R expansion).