What is the O Ring ??

trainman8119

I was looking through some older pictures of L cars at Chicago-L.org. I noticed something that I remembered from the days of old, but never knew what it was. From what I remember, I can only remember this being done on the Milwaukee/Logan Square Branch on the "L". They used to attach what looked like a metal O ring to the front of the lead car, under the motorman's cab. From what I remember, they used to run out and put it on and take it off, I want to say when they were up on the elevated, before they went down into the subway. They stand out on the 2000 and 2200 series pictures from the 60's and 70's.

What was the purpose of these rings ???? I don't think they use them any more...did it have to do with radios, such as an antenna or signalling or what ???

I've asked that question myself. I think the answer may be found at

http://www.chicago-l.org/

I believe it was somehow used in selecting the switch setting but I am not certain. Philly's Broad Street subway trains also used this.

If you go to the aforementioned sight and look up "identra coil" you will find a detailed explanation.