Metra's Deficit As Part Of Funding Issues

Guest metralink

Guest metralink

can anyone figure out what Metra's budget deficit really is as part of the bailout the RTA is going to springfield?

I thought it was $11 M, can anyone confirm how much Metra is in the hole for shoud Springfield fail to pass legislation?

can anyone figure out what Metra's budget deficit really is as part of the bailout the RTA is going to springfield?

I don't think Metra knows what their real deficit is. Quite frankly, I don't think (or at least believe) they have a deficit. I think they are just for the ride (no pun)...if the state is handing out money, why not get in line and get some.

The way I see them waste money day in and day out (and that doesn't include the overinflated

salaries of the fat cats), I will never believe they are actually in a crisis situation such as the CTA or Pace. They could make up any budget shortfall simply by enforcing their policies on surcharges on trains ($2 and $5) and make the weekend pass a Saturday only and Sunday only and charge a what a round trip would be from the location you board the train. It is ridiculous to have someone ride from Fox Lake and back for less that what a one way fare would be. One who would take that trip would be $7.10 ahead, just doing it once. You could make up a lot of ground by properly charging. Also, do away with any of those silly day long fares of $2 anytime you get a immigration march. I can't imagine the money Metra lost those days while sticking it to the monthly pass riders (they pay full freight...never get an adjustment).

If the budget were that serious for them, those issues would definitely have to get addressed.

What I didn't understand, is that when the CTA was doing its 2005 crying, Jeff Ladd said that Metra was in good shape and actually could apply some of its fare revenue to capital. Metra also raised its fares since then. Now, Ladd is gone and the 2007 Metra budget claims that it diverted about $70 million in capital to operating in 2006, and will do so again in 2007 if it doesn't get the Moving Beyond Congestion money. While some of this is attributed to higher fuel and electricity costs, might it also be that it got overextended when it started operating the New Starts?

With regard to fares, the budget says:

In 2006, Metra increased its fares by five percent. Despite our clear need for additional capital and operating dollars, Metra intends to hold the line on fares next year. A five percent fare increase generates at most $11 million in new revenue and does not represent a long term solution to our funding crisis. Therefore, there is no fare increase planned for 2007.
It at least would cut the deficit from $71 million to $60 million and it would be that much less that the taxpayers would have to pay.

The Auditor General also noted that the average Metra fare is a discounted Zone E (a little less than $3), and fares beyond that probably should be raised. Some of the fare collection practices trainman describes should also be investigated.