How Do Buses Get Transferred To Other Garages?

cta5658

This has been bugging me, when a bus gets transferred to another garage, How do they Do it?

Usually what will happen is that the bus garage grabs every possible body they can get to drive the buses to another garage and then what theyll do is drive a bus to be transferred back to their starting garage. They may have to make 2 or 3 trips as overtime. I once did a transfer deadhead from Kedzie to 103rd Garage back to Kedzie garage. I had the interior lights off and "Not in Service" displayed on the front and yet I still had people at bus stops flagging me down as if I were an in service bus. Duhhh!!!

I had the interior lights off and "Not in Service" displayed on the front and yet I still had people at bus stops flagging me down as if I were an in service bus. Duhhh!!!

Sometimes it's out of sheer desperation. Especially after a 45 minute wait. The spectre of hope overrides the destination sign which could concievably be broken anyway.

Sometimes it's out of sheer desperation. Especially after a 45 minute wait. The spectre of hope overrides the destination sign which could concievably be broken anyway.

Generally the garage clerks will grab an operator finished for the day to perform the transfer, they're given a special trip sheet to fill out, sent to maintenence to get the bus, and will either be instructed to take it to South Shops (79th/Vincennes) or Carol Stream (Inland Detroit Diesel, North Ave/Alexandria Ct.) , or perhaps changes from another garage. If there is no return bus to bring back, then the operator must take public transportation, however there is a flat pay hour that the operator is comphensated for either way.

Additonally, some runs are actually scheduled as pullout at South Shops and pullin to the home garage, or vice versa.

I've had to take a bus out to Carol Stream from North Park once instructed via, Foster/Pulaski/North Ave/ all the way west to Carol Stream. 1hr 15 trip one way. LONG RIDE in unknown territory!

On the subject of Carol Stream, 5316 has been sitting ther for at least three months.Does anyone know why?

Lately ve noticed quite a few CTA buses travelling through Itasca along Irving Pk Road. I was operating Pace 616 Spring Lake and I was turning west on Irving Pk off the Itasca Metra when I saw a WB NABI artic rolling along Irving Pk.