Multi-track Crossings

If I remember correctly, Chicago has been known as the railroad capital of the world. I might be wrong about this quote, but to get to the point here, I have seen crossings in and around Chicago that have 3, 4, and maybe even more tracks. For the knowledgeable train buff on this forum(most likely trainman8119), I am curious as to what track belongs to what train in these multi-track setups? Let me show you two examples below, to kinda clear up what I'm talking about a little.

(3 Track Crossing)

Track 1: Metra/Amtrak Local

Track 2: Metra/Amtrak Express

Track 3: Metra/Amtrak Local

(4 Track Crossing)

Track 1: Frieght

Track 2: Metra/Amtrak

Track 3: Metra/Amtrak

Track 4: Frieght

Is this how the tracks are typically set up(on a normal operating day without a track being out of service)?

Question 2: What is the longest train crossing in IL? I wanna say it's like 10 tracks, but it's been a while since we were near a railyard outside Chicago.

Question 3: How long can a Frieght Train hold up traffic? I believe it's only 15 minutes.

Question 1: I am curious as to what track belongs to what train in these multi-track setups?

Question 2: What is the longest train crossing in IL? I wanna say it's like 10 tracks, but it's been a while since we were near a railyard outside Chicago.

Question 3: How long can a Frieght Train hold up traffic? I believe it's only 15 minutes.

I take the short answers first. On question 2, I don't have the answer, but I would bet it would be on the south side someplace.

For question 3, you are correct, almost. The answer is that a train can stand still for only 15 minutes with out fear of a ticket. If you move, even the shortest distance, the clock starts again. There was a movement a few years ago to change that to flat 15 minutes, but the whistle ban discussions shelved that. In many cases, a railroad will take the money hit, since it is a small price to pay in the daily life of the RR.

As for multiple tracks, it depends on where you are at. There is generally no set rule on which track is used for what. In some cases it is a case of what is the most easily accessible. For example, using the Milwaukee West. There are 3 tracks in operation there. Originally tracks 1 and 2 were used for all Metra traffic (unless there was maintenance then occasionally 3 would be used) and track 3 was exclusively freight, since the entrance to Bensenville yard at Franklin Park is off track 3. That changed with the Antioch expansion project...with track 3 used for locals in am rush and track 2 generally an express track. If you were to look at the BNSF to Aurora, all tracks are both freight and passenger. The center track is generally used for express traffic to get things that don't stop away from platforms. The same goes for UP west line trains. UP Northwest trains will use track 1 for outbounds, track 3 for inbounds and track 2 for either direction (depending on time of day and/or maintenace issues). Freight there will generally use the center track. On the UP west and Milwaukee west, there is a curfew where freight trains are not supposed to operate (during rush hours). Often, though, the freight railroads will ignore the curfew and run trains anyway (principally the UP). BNSF will run freight any time.

Also another consideration for multiple tracks is the type of signal system in use. Simply put, if the signals are centrally controlled, all bets are off...any train, any direction any time is a possiblilty. If the signal system is a block system, trains are usually directional on a track. In all cases, though, efforts are made to keep the passenger trains pretty regular, in terms of which track they are on, so that there is not people walking all over the place. You will see trains routed off their "regular" track if there are maintenace issues at hand, or occasionally a standing (or disabled) train in the way.

Hope this explains it a little.