MAN buses...

It turns out MAN is still cranking out buses here in Europe, I spotted lots of them They are in service in both Paris and Geneva transit systems. They resemble nothing like the Americanas or the aritcs but they still look good. They only operate low floor buses here but they still have a high floor look to them. Amazingly their is a fleet of buses built by Mercedes Benz here in both 40ft and artics that do eerily resemble the MAN Americanas . The front ends are identical to the Americanas only the headlights are two rectangular instead of the four headlamps on the U.S americanas. The body is european style but do resemble the MANs so here you can still get a glimpse for all you MAN bus fans, this is the place to still see them in revenue service. The wheels are the same, the engines arent though. MAN is also huge in the heavy truck market here too. I spotted lots of 6 wheel MAN trucks. It still looks great seeing the MAN logo with the lion image. With Germany just one border over Im not surprised that MAN is huge here. I met a Geneva bus operator on his layover and began talking buses with him. He was pretty good in his english I told him about our MAN fleet and he asked what our top of the line bus manufacturer is in America I told him New Flyer He wasant familiar with the brand. Good operator he was a bus nut like us. I really didnt get a chance to discuss how their system is funded or what funding source but whatever it is it works! One operator told me the the drivers have a good attitude. That says a lot!

He wouldn't know about New Flyer, because it is a Canadian company.

Daimler owns Orion, so you won't see any MB buses here. Daimler also owns Setra, and those are probably on both continents. Niles had MB minibuses in the early 70s.

Basically the reason you don't see any western European buses here anymore is unfavorable exchange rates. That is one of the reasons MAN left the US in the late 1980s. Since Hungarian money is tied to the Euro, NABI is under a competitive disadvantage now, too, which is one of the reasons that forced its sale to Cerberus (the Compobus problem being another). However, one can assume that Hungarian wage rates have not caught up to the German ones.

He wouldn't know about New Flyer, because it is a Canadian company.

Daimler owns Orion, so you won't see any MB buses here. Daimler also owns Setra, and those are probably on both continents. Niles had MB minibuses in the early 70s.

Basically the reason you don't see any western European buses here anymore is unfavorable exchange rates. That is one of the reasons MAN left the US in the late 1980s. Since Hungarian money is tied to the Euro, NABI is under a competitive disadvantage now, too, which is one of the reasons that forced its sale to Cerberus (the Compobus problem being another). However, one can assume that Hungarian wage rates have not caught up to the German ones.

Don't forget the Buy America act, which started a few years ago.

Don't forget the Buy America act, which started a few years ago.
The Buy America Act has been since the early 1980s. MAN was able to operate under it. NABI, too, until it lost its waivers for the Compobus.

The official version of the Act is here; the legislative history for subd (j) says that it was passed in 1983.

These MAN Americana's were one of my favorites. I don't know about Chicago, and I can't remember in Minneapolis, but Seattle had a divider in the middle of the front stairs, for bording and discharging passengers. The paint scheme in Minneapolis was pretty cool, but a few of the MAN's in Seattle made it until 2004/2005, and some got a repainting in King Conty Metro's awesome new scheme. In Seattle they still have a few MAN articulated trolleys buzzing around, but these have their days numbered with rebuilt Breda DuoBus(es).

EDIT: Here is a link to a picture of an Americana in new Metro colors: Metro Bus-Americana, from Busdrawings.com

MAN Americanas were my favorite 80s buses for CTA, I was camping out to ride them for last minute til retirement in Summer of 2004.

But what about New Orleans, I was sworned that NORTA was the only transit agency in U.S. operate 1986 MAN Americana after Seattle retired them in mid 2005.

Im thinking of taking a vacation to Maudi Gras and ride them before they are retiring them, if they still has them. Anyone know?

MAN Americanas were my favorite 80s buses for CTA, I was camping out to ride them for last minute til retirement in Summer of 2004.

But what about New Orleans, I was sworned that NORTA was the only transit agency in U.S. operate 1986 MAN Americana after Seattle retired them in mid 2005.

Im thinking of taking a vacation to Maudi Gras and ride them before they are retiring them, if they still has them. Anyone know?

The only cities to get Americana's were Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, New Orleans, and Charlotte. Try emailing NORTA to see if they are still in service, and you should ask what routes they operate on so you can catch one.