Pace Northwest Strike

trainman8119

As trainman pointed out, the Pace NW one was precipitated by the fact that there wasn't a contract in force for over a year. Apparently there wasn't a binding clause in the previous contract with regard to arbitration of a new contract, so the union could walk after giving proper notice. Also, while the issues that were supposedly hanging up the effort to come to a new contract were not discussed in the press, trainman had some ideas what they were. However, except for the fact that the Pace NW employees are public employees subject to the state law, the situation wasn't much different than GM and Chrysler employees going on strike for a couple of hours until they got a contract proposal. Ford and the UAW then settled without a strike. The Pace NW workers came back with only a schedule of mediation, not a contract.

I just realized that Pace NW was the only one that had no contract, but they didn't come back with a contract? I would have stayed out until a contract was given.

CTA unions have always agreed (at least up to now) on binding arbitration, so there wouldn't be a strike based on not having a contract. However, you had the president of the rapid transit local (308 of the ATU) saying that there would be a "job action" to put pressure on the legislature if it didn't do something to avert Doomsday in the next week or so. Again, as trainman noted, a "job action" does not necessarily mean a strike but could be the "blue flu" (so named because police officers (blue) call in sick without really being sick, extended by analogy to transit workers). As mentioned in previous discussions, unlike GM, which probably didn't want a strike, except perhaps to work off excess inventory, the RTA gave the union a platform to make its threat.

As I might have mentioned before, there may be a connection between the lack of funds and the inability to reach a contract. There might also be a connection between not getting bailout legislation before Dec. 31, the supposed deadline of the arbitration award, and the CTA unions not having a contract, giving them the authority to walk on proper notice. Or as indicated with regard to Local 308, they might just want to push a confrontation. The side of me that likes confrontation and unintended consequences would call for a strike (also mentioning that that would spread the pain more evenly than the doomsday scenarios), but predicting whether one will happen is certainly beyond my capabilities, with all the other variables here, such as the Governor having secret stashes of bailout funds, but the riders are clearly pawns in the combined political and labor game.

I agree. I'm glad to hear that CTA will not strike yet, but that would be awful if CTA workers did the "blue flu".

I just realized that Pace NW was the only one that had no contract, but they didn't come back with a contract? I would have stayed out until a contract was given.

I agree. I'm glad to hear that CTA will not strike yet, but that would be awful if CTA workers did the "blue flu".

Pace NW will begin this week discussing a new contract. I believe that NW drivers and mechs will have very little trouble getting what they demand, dont forget this is the Teamsters were talking about, this a strong union and they are tough. This is the union we were hoping to get back when I worked for CTA. in fact a while back there was talk about dumping ATU for the Teamsters I would bet my life that CTA would not be in this mess if the Teamsters had come in. I say bring in Teamsters and completely dump ATU, ATU is worthless!

• 1 month later...